DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/)
-   -   Shutter Speed (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/4094-shutter-speed.html)

donking! October 3rd, 2002 12:19 PM

Shutter Speed

The fastest shutter speed on the DVX100 is 1/2000 (1/1000 is 24P and 30P modes), as compared to 1/15000 on the XL1S. What difference does it make? Do you really need a shutter speed that fast?

Also does anyone have any thoughts comparing the specs of the lens on the DVX100 to the standard (16X IS II) len on the XL1S?

Thanks.

Stephen van Vuuren October 3rd, 2002 12:29 PM

I never have used a shutter speed that high. Seems might only be for certain types of shots (sports, Saving Private Ryan). Plus, at 1/15000, you would need a lot of light for the shot anyway.

The zoom is longer on the 16X lens XL1s, but the DVX100 is wider.

Frank Granovski October 5th, 2002 12:49 AM

I was wondering why no manual slow shutter speed settings myself.

Stephen van Vuuren October 5th, 2002 10:30 AM

I have the camera in front of me.

Slow shutter speeds are 1/60th in 60i, 1/30th in 30p and 1/24th in 24P modes.

Frank Granovski October 6th, 2002 12:50 AM

Oh, it does have one setting below 1/60th. Thanks.

Stephen van Vuuren October 6th, 2002 10:56 AM

Uh, that's two settings (1/30th and 1/24th)...

Frank Granovski October 7th, 2002 01:33 AM

Yeah, 2 settings but only one low setting for each mode.

Stephen van Vuuren October 7th, 2002 11:03 AM

Frank:

Why would you want slower shutter speeds? Seems of very limited use. What speeds do you think are missing?

Other than extremely low light photography, I'm not sure why they would be needed.

Blake Haber October 7th, 2002 11:43 PM

The GL2 gives you 1/8th and 1/15th in frame mode. Maybe until you've used these speeds you don't know what you're missing. I pretty much hate using the GL1 now that I have a GL2. The GL1 only goes down to 1/60th, so you miss a whole range of really interesting video looks, let alone the extra stops of light. It's a big benefit. Spend some time with the GL2 and you'll see. : ) More exposure options is better.

Blake

Stephen van Vuuren October 7th, 2002 11:48 PM

Do you have clips or frames you can post? What specifically do you like?

Blake Haber October 8th, 2002 12:40 AM

Frames alone won't do it: they're only 1/3 the story. It's such a wide range of possible creative in-camera motion fx and lighting possibilities with these slower speeds. Right now I'm overloaded with video editing/shooting projects and don't have the time or server space to put together and upload clips, but if I can remember I'll do it during a slow period. (though I hate to give away some of my "film look" secrets!) ; )

One thing I've learned is that using the max possible neutral density filtration, no matter how dark the environment, will get you closer and closer to an amazing cinematic look which fits very well into my own personal/professional vid needs. For that (max ND filtering), one needs as much exposure as one can get... nuff said for now!

Can't wait to see some nighttime, artificial light (like at a concert) 1/24th 24p stuff! Yow!

There must be something about true progressive that prevents less-than-film rate shutter speeds? I don't understand any of that stuff on vid or cine cams.

Thanks,

b

Frank Granovski October 9th, 2002 02:26 AM

Stephen,

Lower shutter speeds mean better low light shooting, and give you another option for creativity. Try it. You'll be surprised!

I use a lot of slow shutter coupled with zooming and panning for dance scenes---usually in low but changing lighting.

Stephen van Vuuren October 9th, 2002 09:24 AM

Frank:

I can understand 1/30th or 1/24th, but at 1/15th or 1/8th, excessive motion blur would create some interesting effects.

So far, I can shoot the Panasonic at 1/24th in 24P mode in pretty dim lighting, so I'm not too worried about low light.

I have a revision FX motion blur plugin as well as Shine that I use in AE for some really etheral motion blur effects.

Frank Granovski October 9th, 2002 04:33 PM

I shoot to not edit or to edit as little as possible. I guess I'm going against the grain.

Stephen van Vuuren October 9th, 2002 04:48 PM

Editing is all the fun, though :)