Panasonic DVX / DVC Battery topics - Page 11 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old August 1st, 2004, 04:44 PM   #151
Major Player

Freaky TC issue after battery change!

Has anybody every had any timecode glitches after changing out the battery? I'll have somewhere between 80-100 hours of footage by the time that I'm done, so obviously setting the timecode/having a unique tape name is critical to my file management when I'm back in the edit bay. But that said, something very odd has happened a couple times. Once was a fluke. Twice aroused my suspicions. Having it happen a third time today has me more than a little concerned.

Being at week 7 of an 8 week shoot, and just now seeing this, I'm wondering if something is dying...

Say the tape has time left but the battery is running low, and what I'm filming isn't over yet. I whip out a new battery (while leaving the tape alone), and the timecode either: a) resets itself to where it was the last time I turned the camera on; or b) keeps on rolling with the same TC, but now shows a radically different "time left" warning (in other words, the TC is, say, 15:32:00:00, but instead of having 28 minutes left, it now says I have only 14 and continues to count down to 2 min. and start flashing).

Has anybody ever seen this? Any tips? To be safe, when we've cought it we've just changed tapes to be extra safe regarding what I end up with in the edit bay, but a few times we didn't catch it immediately, being in the heat of the moment, so I'm not sure what the heck I'm going to be up against there.

Very frustrating,
Marcia
Marcia Janine Galles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2004, 06:00 PM   #152
Warden

Does the DVX100 use a button cell battery (about the size of a quarter)? These batteries are used to keep user settings (TC, Day, Date, Time of Day etc) in memory when the camera battery is exchanged. When this battery is weak or dead you may encounter issues similar to what you describe. The manufacture usually has a flashing icon or symbol display in the viewfinder under such conditions. Any unusual symbols in your VF?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2004, 08:27 AM   #153
Regular Crew

The DVX has an internal rechargable battery for keeping track of this sort of thing. You are prompted in the viewfinder that it's getting low. When this happens, plug the camera into the AC adapter like you normally would to power the camer, but leave the camera in the off power position. In about 4 hours, the battery will be fully charged.

"I like Mankato just a little bit better than any other town in the world." -Sinclair Lewis
Ryan Gohlinghorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2004, 10:10 PM   #154
Major Player

Hmmm, no flashing icon. I checked the manual, made sure the display was set to display all (I usually have it set to "partial"), but nothing. Will try and recharge it anyway, as you suggest, in the morning.

Thanks for responding,
Marcia
Marcia Janine Galles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2004, 03:56 AM   #155
New Boot

Batteries for the DVX-100A???

Where is a good online store that carries batteries for the DVX100
A?
Dennis Chapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2004, 07:42 AM   #156
Trustee

DVXUser.com sells an awesome custom-made battery at a very reasonable price. Keep in mind it's not a retail store - and sometimes processing time is slow. Email them to find out the next block shipment.

http://www.dvxuser.com/articles/battery/

There are also our sponsors - check the link in my signature below.
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2004, 12:08 PM   #157
New Boot

I have two batteries from DVXUser.com and they've worked as advertised. It's a very good value at 45 USD for a 3500mah battery.

If you need them by a certain date, just specify it in an email sent to battery @ dvxuser . com

Mine came by the date I requested.

Ryan
Ryan Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2004, 01:11 AM   #158
DVX User

Hey we also just got new 5000s in for $69.. im locked in post on a feature so am home in the edit suite now for the next 2 weeks, so orders are actually going out daily.. its a nice break to go for a little walk to the post office :)
Jarred Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2004, 07:04 PM   #159
Major Player

Those batteries would work on the dvc30 as well, correct?

Edit: It looks like they take the same cell, has anyone tested your 5k mah battery on a dvc30?
Kevin James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2004, 07:57 PM   #160
DVX User

they work on the dvx80... never tried the 30 though. If a normal DVX battery does however ours should as well.
Jarred Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2005, 12:05 AM   #161
Major Player

DVX usercom. batteries......

Are the best deal in town folks. I've got loads of them and they are excellent.
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2005, 12:40 AM   #162
Major Player

batteries for DVX100a

is there much difference betwen a Panny battery and a no name brand battery that you wou
ld buy on ebay for fraction of the brand name battery?

Saturnin Kondratiew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2005, 12:53 AM   #163
Barry Wan Kenobi

Depends on the battery you get. No-name batteries may nor may not have the actual capacity that they claim to. I know someone conducted a test where they weighed a bunch of supposedly equivalent batteries, and found wildly different weights (and corresponding different runtimes).

The best bang-for-the-buck on DVX batteries are the $69 5,000 mah batteries sold at dvxuser.com. They're less than half the cost of Panasonic's largest, CGR-D54.

I've also found luck on ebay with the CGR-D54, under its Japanese product name, which I believe was VW-VBD55 (or something like that). Ebay seller "shimwass" was selling them brand-new, in the package, for $90. I got one when I first got my DVX, and it's still going strong two years later, and is the first battery I reach for.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2005, 10:38 PM   #164
Major Player

yah..koo thanx
i just got in touch wif dvxuser so we'll see....
thanx again
Saturnin Kondratiew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2005, 04:40 PM   #165
New Boot

slow day at work, so i decied to look over every post in the forum and i came across this one. i'm looking to get some batteries and this one caught my eye. i went to the link listed but i could not find the $35 battery, only a $79. is the $35 still avalible? i understand it's a lower mAH.
Chris Simone is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant