DVX100A Audio - Get Panny External or Invest in 3rd Party? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old April 3rd, 2005, 09:29 PM   #1
Regular Crew

DVX100A Audio - Get Panny External or Invest in 3rd Party?

alright, so ill be buying my dvx100a this week, and i was just wondering if it was a smart purchase to get the 150 dollar or so panasonic external mic, or put the money towards a good shotgun mic?

i do understand how important audio is for any video project, but when i take my camera out to shoot family outings, etc, i wont be using the external shotgun/boom, so would the on-camera mic be OK for regular family outting type audio, or should i get the panny external mic AND an upgraded shotgun?

any insight would be greatly appreciated!

thanks in advance,
john
Old April 3rd, 2005, 10:15 PM   #2
Regular Crew

btw, ill probably be getting the Audio Technica AT4073a...
Old April 4th, 2005, 06:27 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hey John looks like you ansered your own question. anyway what kinda stuff do you do in Hawaii?
Gregory Doi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2005, 06:37 PM   #4
Regular Crew

hey greg,

i specialize in digital media. web development, graphic design and photography. i have been playing with video for quite a while and i am serious about adding it to my lineup of services.

ive also shot a couple short films using friends equipment and i have experience with the vx2000 and pd150. i currently own a gs120, but im ready to take the plunge and get a real camera!

hmm, so if im not mistaken, if i just purchase the camera as is, the camera WILL record some kind of audio, right? or do i have to buy the panasonic external shotgun to record any type of audio?

maybe i should just buy the panasonic external shotgun along with the camera then in a couple weeks pickup the auto technica shotgun...hmm...

thanks for the input! any other insight would be greatly appreciated!
Old April 4th, 2005, 07:01 PM   #5
Major Player

Sounds like you have done your homework John. : )

I kid, I kid.

There is an onboard mic that is stock with the DVX100. I imagine it would be fine for recording the family events; anything beyond that medium will warrant an external mic solution; preferably a shotgun.
John Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2005, 08:24 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I agree. On board mic is terrible on the DVX. I will use it once in a while but only for ambient.

If your interested I would consider bringing you on some of my gigs. intern/PA type stuff.

We do some of the concerts @ the shell and some OC16 shows.
Gregory Doi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2005, 02:11 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Sweet! Thanks for the input, everyone!

Well, I just ordered my dvx100a from b&h!

Panasonic AG-DVX100A 24P Mini DV Camcorder Kit

Includes:
Additional CGR-D28 Lithium-Ion Battery Pack - 7.2v, 2800mAh
AG-YUSC100 Soft Carry Case for Panasonic AG-DVX100

I also picked up a Mack 2-Year Extended Warranty and a HOOD-100 LCD Monitor Hood.

Total is $3,795.85 shipped to hawaii and there is currently a $300.00 rebate on the camera, bringing the total down to just under $3500.00!

Damn, I couldve bought my Canon 1DMKII SLR instead!! ahhhh! haha, naw, but im gonna love this dvcam...maybe ill pickup my 1DMKII later this year. :)

I'll probably be frequenting this forum from now on, asking loads of questions. I also just got my DVX Book and DVD by Barry Green today. Watched the DVD and read the book tonight. Im ready to get my hands on this thing!

Greg, that would be awesome! You got an email address that I could contact you at? Feel free to contact me as well:

admin@john-garcia.com

I would be more than happy to tag along and grip for you!

Thanks again for all of the help!
Old April 5th, 2005, 02:50 PM   #8
Major Player

Congrats John! You are so stoked.
John Hudson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant