DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/)
-   -   Any Tricked Out DVX 100A's? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/42426-any-tricked-out-dvx-100as.html)

Jim Sofranko April 4th, 2005 09:21 PM

Any Tricked Out DVX 100A's?

Anybody have any photos or explanations of their DVX 100's tricked out with good accessories?

I will be soon purchasing a DVX100A for a project. I already own a nice matte box, tripod, sound gear, etc from my Canon XL's. But I'm curious as to how you are handling cable management for the side mounted XLR, mounting an on-board camera mic (where does the stock mic go?), 4x4 two stage matte box fit with the stock mic, radio mic setups, firestore mounting, on board light....have I weighted it down enough? I won't be using all of this stuff at once but I'm curious how much the camera can be built upon.

Many Thanks.

Chris Hurd April 5th, 2005 12:41 AM

Y'all post some links to photos of your DVX!

Jim Sofranko April 6th, 2005 08:48 PM

Nobody has any pics or suggestions on how to trick out their DVX rigs??

Jason Brunner April 8th, 2005 08:05 PM

well there's this....

http://www.jasonbrunner.com/m35.html

on a more practical note- the xlr and video cables bundle in nicely under the velcro hand strap flap, i stick my wireless recievers on velcro to the carry handle, not maybe the best, but theres not that much real estate to choose from. The stock on camera mike does not remove (that Iknow of) and its performance is as good as any on camera mike Ive used(ME80, 416,etc), for Broll that is. I wouldn't use it for dialog ever, but thats me. The matt box doesn't seem to affect it that bad except you have to add a little more gain. The other stuff I don't know about. Its a great little camera. Im very happy with mine.

Jim Sofranko April 8th, 2005 08:30 PM

Jason,

Thanks for the photo if your rig. I liked your commercial work as well. Were the commercials shot on the DVX? I liked the Subway spot especially the nail gun sequence.

Peter Jefferson April 9th, 2005 06:17 AM

Hey Jason, now htat is a NICE rig.. hmm.. i wouldnt mind shooting a wedding with that.. LOL can u imagine the looks id get..?? ROFLMAO

Dude ur work is awesome, and if all those clips on ur page are shot with a dvx with that glass on steroids, then i want one.. lol

ive got 2 dvx100's and theyre not all that spectacular to look at... nothign all that schmick or original about them.. i was going to paint them black then i thought itd look stupid if i stuffed it up..
yes im a boring ol fart..

Jim Sofranko April 9th, 2005 08:25 AM

Jason,

Can you hand hold the camera easily or all day with the matte box attached? Thanks.

Peter Jefferson April 10th, 2005 06:05 AM

its not the matte box thats a concern, its the 35mm glass.. ;)

Jim Sofranko April 10th, 2005 08:49 AM

I guess what I meant to say was with 'just' the matte box. Not the mini 35 although that might be very interesting as well!

Jason Brunner April 10th, 2005 09:29 AM

Not all the commercials are shot with the DVX, but can you guess wich ones? Probably not at the size they are.

The camera does not hand hold well with the 35 rig. very front heavy, even on a pod. Without the mini, that matte box and ff wont mount, nor would you need something so heavy duty for the stock lens. ( for me, without the mini its to light to handhold well. (sheesh! amy i ever happy) also , for handheld, I prefer an on shoulder ergonomic, that's my background. I wish the DVX was an XL2, know what I mean? I prefer the DVX camera, but I prefer the XL ergonomic. Both are awesome cameras.

Jim Sofranko April 10th, 2005 09:42 AM

Yes, exactly the reason I am inquiring.

A curent run of projects will require me to shoot with the DVX so I am purchasing one. But to do so I am divesting myself of the XL accessories I have acquired over time. I, too, prefer the on-the-shoulder shooting of the Canon XL series. I would prefer to have both but presently can't afford to do so.

I used a two stage, clip-on matte box handheld on the XL1. But I'm not sure the ergonomics of the DVX will allow me to do so. Any thoughts?

What about Firestore, wireless...??

Jason Brunner April 10th, 2005 10:47 AM

Ther are a number of vendors who make matte boxes & ff specific to DVX. One that comes to mind is Century Precision. With that kind of rig it should be about like handholding the stock camera. For me, handholding the stock camera, I have found I must pay careful attention to keeping it level, and not jiggling the camera. Thats the trade for handicam and light wieght.

The firestore I dont know about. Perhaps precariously clipped to your belt with a cable to snag on things and bust the plugs? ;)

Wireless we velcro to the top of the handle. (sideways)

Also Birns ans Sawyer makes a pod mount for the DVX that works well. I have one, but it was spendy. I have also seen, but not tried, the same kind of pod, but with a rod thingee that clips into a belt. Can't remember what its called.

Jim Sofranko April 10th, 2005 04:30 PM

My Vocas matte box is a clip-on and has the same size adaptor for the DVX as the XL line - 72mm. I just hope it isn't too front heavy.

What's a pod mount?

Peter Jefferson April 10th, 2005 06:35 PM

hey Jason, if the ergonomics of the XL are what your looking for, jsut wait til u see the new JVC HDV unit... :)
lurvely mountable lens' :)

Jason Brunner April 10th, 2005 07:00 PM

>>What's a pod mount?<<

Uhh.., shoulder pod uh... handheld rig thingie...sled doohickey....shoulder camera support wangle with the handles...

>>wait til u see the new JVC HDV unit... :)<<

Theres so much to pay attention to comming out at NAB my head may go POP!!

So far HDV has had me a little underwhelmed, but it sounds like there's a lot thats right with this camera, that we havent seen in that format yet.

Jim, Vocas is a stellar matte box, and I think that the total weight will be so light that even front heavy won't matter. I hope so anyway.