Best on-board mic for the DVX at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old April 16th, 2005, 12:55 PM   #1
Major Player

Best on-board mic for the DVX

I would have posted this in the sound forum BUT it has to do with the physical charactersitics of mounting a mic on the DV.

I just received my new DVX100A from B&H yesterday. Now that I have a charged battery I am playing around with it.

I've shot a lot with the Canon XL system and have some accessories which I am trying to make work on the DVX. I have an AT835B shotgun with a Rycote softie but it is way too into the pic if I mount it with the provided mic holder. I tried to see if I coud get my Lightwave mic holder to adapt to the DVX but with no luck.

Any suggestions on how to either mount the mic further back or a shorter mic that works well on the DVX camera?

Many thanks in advance.
Jim Sofranko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2005, 10:04 PM   #2
Regular Crew

i bought the shotgun mic that panasonic sells as an accessory to the camera, and it's worked out just fine for me.

on interviews where i'm no more than 4-5 feet away from the subject, it sounds fine. not great, but fine. and for $150, it's a great improvement to the on-board mic.
George Su is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2005, 05:03 PM   #3
Major Player

panasonic mic.....

I've found the panasonic mic that comes with the cam to be totally useless! I'd get a better mic - even an AT 897 would do the trick.
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2005, 05:17 PM   #4
Major Player

What would be the best short shotgun regardless of price?

I actually found a way to use my AT 835b shotgun with a Lightwave shock mount (for the Canon XL) onto the Panasonic shock mount on-board the DVX 100A, The offset of the two mounts enables the mic to travel on board just out of sight by mounting it further back.
Jim Sofranko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2005, 07:42 PM   #5
Major Player

AT 835b.....

That's a good one too!
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2005, 09:43 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Rhode NTG1 and a Senny ME64 are good with it..

one thign abotuthe Senny though, is that it has teh tendency to give u a too hot a signal.. be careful not to overdrive the capsule.. no amount of ALC will salvage a lost shot..
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2005, 11:42 AM   #7
Major Player

I've been using the Sennheiser MKH60 for about a year (with the DVX100A) and I have come to the conclusion that while I LOVE - absolutely love the MKH 50, I really don't like the MKH60. I'm a little slow, I'll admit, but I kept thinking it was the settings I was using, but last week I did a shoot where the 60 was the mic on the interviewee, and the 50 was on the interviewer, and I just keep wishing that I had switched. There is a "covered sound" that comes from the 60 that I really don't like. Maybe I have it too close, maybe I don't understand what is the right way to use it, but I have to tell you, I've recorded all over the world with the 50 and I've never had those problems - ever.

So why did I get the 60? Well, I wanted a mic that I could use on camera for "run and gun" docs, which is what I do most of the time. I wanted a longer throw than I got with the 50, but frankly I can always make the 50 work anyway. I looked at the schoeps and I think I will try it - a friend of mine from New Mexico said he loved it and was going to see if he could sell the 60.

Anybody else had this experience?

thanks,
Milt

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant