What is FRINGING? And does it seem the AG-DVX100 suffers from it? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old October 17th, 2002, 08:01 AM   #1
Regular Crew

What is FRINGING? And does it seem the AG-DVX100 suffers from it?

what is it? and i havent really seen any problems with it on other camera forums here...
Old October 17th, 2002, 08:25 AM   #2
New Boot

If you mean color fringing in the picture, that is a common problem with lenses in that all of the colors are not focused exactly in the same plane of the image sensor. It is, in effect, color blurring.

It manifests itself in a fringe around bright objects or lines of high contrast, and can be different colors.

I don't have any info on the AG-DVX100.
Tom Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2002, 09:00 AM   #3
Major Player

Color fringing can have different origins. One of them relates to the pixel shift technique used by Canon (and others nowadays). This technique allows higher luma resolution for a given number of pixels, and a given limit of optical aliasing, but also "sees" color where there is only a (sharp) b&w transition. which result in color fringes
Andre De Clercq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2002, 10:04 AM   #4
Wrangler

I think the 'fringing' problem reported with the DVX100, is an inaccurate term to describe the anomaly that also affects other cams and brands. Fringing in the traditional sense, would fit the description by Dre and Tom in the above posts. The 'pink patch' seen on DVX100 vidcaps appears on the extreme bottom left (or fringe area) and is not visible in overscan.

Some claimed it's not visible with normal playback from tape or NLE (even in underscan) and is visible only on a grab, attributing it to a JPEG compression artifact. Others, who intend to transfer to film, sweared that they're being robbed of a few valuable pixels if masking is required to cover this.
Terrence Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2002, 01:29 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I just saw a demo of the DVX100 today and noticed fringing not just on the left hand side of the image, but following the contours of a face in the center of the image. This only happened on the progressive footage, the interlaced footage seemed ok. There are MANY features in this camera for adjusting the image, so I'm not sure if some settings can be adjusted to make up for this or not. The person conducting the demo wasn't 100% familiar with the camera settings and was not really a Panasonic employee anyways so there was no point in harassing him with this problem since it's not his fault, and the camera seems overall very impressive otherwise. I just wish it were about $1000.00 cheaper and had true 16:9, but I guess I can't have a Ferrari for $5.00
Taro Beckwith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2002, 04:34 AM   #6
Major Player

Like it has been written before, there are severel reasons for "color fringing", also outside the camera. If you try to verify fringing on a display start to verify the image at zero color saturation (b&w) and verify whether or not the diplay itself showsis fringes. Convergence errors CRT), focus mistracking (mainly CRT projectors), scaler artifacts are all potential "fringers"
Andre De Clercq is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant