DVC 30: Headphone Hiss normal? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old May 17th, 2005, 04:54 AM   #1
Regular Crew

DVC 30: Headphone Hiss normal?

Hello!

I finally reveived my DVC 30 last Friday... I ordered the XLR-Adapter and the AT 897 to go with it.. So far I am very much satisfied...

One thing is, that the Headphone output is alway accompanied by a fair amount of static and hiss.. these don't appear on the record later. They are (probably) not induced by any electrical interference, my guess would be, that the static may be caused by a bad headphone circuit... The noise is present with the XLR adapter plugged in and without it.

Question is: ARE all DVC-30 headphone outputs THIS noisy? I don't think I am picky because the noise is actually very noticable.

Is there any kind of trick out there to get rid of this? It is just, that my old Digital 8 Camcorder develops kind of a lot less noise this way..

Do you think this would be a warranty case?

One other question:
Is 48 V Phantom Power "better" or does it not matter if I power the microphone by battery of Phantom Power?
Would the microphone use the Phantom Power if it equipped with a battery and supplied with phantom power at the same time?

Thanks a lot!

Matthias
Old May 17th, 2005, 07:11 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Zimmermann
Question is: ARE all DVC-30 headphone outputs THIS noisy? I don't think I am picky because the noise is actually very noticable.
My DVC30 is very noisy as well. First i blamed the XLR-box (AG-MYA30G) and tested a BeachTek XLR and it got slighty better but not much. I prefer the AG-MYA30G, the BeachTek is bigger and heavier plus that the BeachTek XLR box made my stereo signal out of phase...

When i tried the demo ex of the DVC30 in the store it was as noisy as mine so it seems to be the same on all DVC30's.

/Roger
Roger Averdahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2005, 12:00 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thank you very much, almost fainted at the thought of having to give my baby away :) .

I think a solution would be using the Line out/AV plug as it is noise free.. you can actually hear something if you plug in your headphones "half-way"... I will have to think of a working adapter and get me an amplifier for the line-signal... Has anybody ever done that, or is there an adapter to overcome the "AV Plug -> Miniplug" connection...
Old May 17th, 2005, 11:23 PM   #4
New Boot

Matthias,

Have you tried insulating the contact surface of your headphone's plug? I was just reading about some iPod users who were complaining about noise and it turned out that their headphone plugs were grounding against the metal of the case. It's probably not what's going on in your situation but I just thought I'd throw that out there as a possibility before you go strapping line level amps onto your camera :)
Alden Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2005, 01:53 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Unfortunately that's not what it is :) .. I would love to hear from any other DVC30 users.. just a short reply:

1: I hear bad hiss in the headphone plug..

2: I hear soothing silence...

Thank you very much!

Matthias
Old May 26th, 2005, 05:52 AM   #6
Major Player

I have two DVC-30s, both are hissy...

I also think that the AG-MYA30G creates some more noise too.

I brought this question up here some time ago without much of a response.
Kevin Spahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2005, 02:55 AM   #7
Trustee

what's your attenuation switch set to on your BOB?
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2005, 05:01 AM   #8
Major Player

My DVX100a has same issue. I think it is just a Panny thing, they need to spend another dollar on the headphone circuitry. FOrtunately recorded sound is always excellent, makes it hard in noisy environments though to know what is real and what is circuit noise. Rumors are that HVX will be "better" (WTF?)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant