DVC30 vs.DCR-VX2100 HELP? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old May 31st, 2005, 07:14 AM   #1
Tourist

DVC30 vs.DCR-VX2100 HELP?

I am in the process of purchasing either the DVC30 or the DCRvx2100.I will be using this camera to shoot wildlife and will be outdoors with all of the shooting.
Could you guys give me a couple of pointers as to which way to go.
Keep in mind I will be in and out of the weather,up and down trees, carrying the camera on ATV. Zoom will also be very important.

Thanks and look forward to some feedback,
mike lawson
Mike Lawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2005, 11:20 AM   #2
Tourist

did i post in wrong spot?

I am new to this site, should I have posted this somewhere else?

Thanks,
Mike
Old May 31st, 2005, 06:35 PM   #3
Trustee

Mike,

I would choose the DVC30 with 16x lens over the VX2100 with 12x lens if you are primarily shooting wildlife. It seems you can never have enough reach. Although I really like my DVC30 because of it's light weight, rugged construction and great image if I were doing mostly wildlife I would suggest also looking at the Canon GL-2 with 20x lens. Your next choice up if you have the budget would be the Canon XL-2 with 20x lens and ability to use camera lenses which will give you extreme closeup capability. This IMO would be the optimum system to use.

Regards,

Mark
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2005, 06:42 PM   #4
Tourist

DVC30 v VX2100

Right place to post.
Wildlife shooting right?

Pros VX2100: Probably better low light performance, going by articles read and posts in other forums.

Pros DVC30: x16 lens, very smooth zooming, a bit smaller, alloy chassis, night shooting with infrared (5ft without accessory, apparently up to 90 ft with optional attachment.

More reading;
http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...der-review.htm

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...der-review.htm
Stefan Sellure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2005, 10:44 PM   #5
Tourist

Thanks Mark, and Stefan,
Any thoughts on a telephoto lens on either of the two cameras?
Will this degrade the footage too much?
Thanks again,
Mike
Old June 1st, 2005, 04:07 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Mike,

Here are two reviews that you can look at

http://www.dv.com/print_me.jhtml?articleId=48800242

http://www.dv.com/print_me.jhtml?articleId=57702384

Good luck.
Adam Folickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2005, 04:12 AM   #7
Tourist

Lens

Can't really help you there. Talking about a x2 extension? There is a x10 digital zoom on the Panny and literature states that there is no degradation to x1.25. Eqivalent to x20. Tell you the truth, haven't used it yet. I'll give it a whirl this weekend and see how it is.
Old June 1st, 2005, 05:55 AM   #8
Trustee

Mike,

My experience is the digital zoom on the DVC-30 or any of the cams discussed so far won't give you the image quality that you want. Since this cam accepts 43mm filters you could use a 43 to 58mm step up ring and a tel adapter for 1.5x or 2.0x increase. Just do a search here for "telephoto adaptors". There are some good ones out there by Sony, Canon and on the high end "Century Optics."

Regards,

Mark
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2005, 10:05 PM   #9
Tourist

any advise on where to purchase?

i think i have decided to go with the agdvc30. i really don't think i can go wrong with either one.
next question. where to purchase?
all comments and advise welcome.

thanks,
Mike
Old June 4th, 2005, 04:16 AM   #10
Tourist

I live in Australia, but I believe that B & H Photo or Amazon are highly recommended, if you want to buy online.
Good luck.
Old June 7th, 2005, 10:56 PM   #11
Regular Crew

advice on where to purchase

Mike,

I too have decided to go with the DVC30 with B&H being my only consideration.

B&H is currently offering this camera for $1799 with $150 rebate if purchased from an authorized Panny dealer before 6/30/05. So that's $1649 brand new after rebate from what appears to be the most trusted vendor on these boards. You will most likely see a better price from another site, but it's not all about the price--it's about price together with peace of mind. At least it is for me.

Cheers~

Mike
Michael Rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2005, 11:25 PM   #12
New Boot

Mike,

You might want to take a careful look at the rebate form on B&H. You have to also purchase an AG-DV2500 VTR in order to get the $150 rebate. I just bought a DVC30 with the XLR adapter from them too, despite the fact I won't get the rebate.

PEACE,

Steve
Steve Wake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2005, 01:52 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lawson
I am in the process of purchasing either the DVC30 or the DCR-VX2100. I will be using this camera to shoot wildlife and will be outdoors with all of the shooting.
The apparent advantage of a 16X zoom lens on the DVC30 is not as great over the 12X zoom of the VX2100, as it may seem. The zoom range of a lens is a different factor than the magnification power. The upper number in the zoom range, in millimeters, compared to the CCD size, is the determinate of the lens magnification. The DVC30 has a zoom range spec of 4.1 to 65.6mm. With .25-inch CCDs, this means that the DVC30 has a magnification power of 13.44X. The VX2100, with larger 1/3-inch CCDs and a 6 to 72mm zoom range, has exactly 12X magnification, coincidentally the same number as its zoom range. The Panasonic DVX100, with a 10X zoom range, has only an 8.8X magnification power (please don 't ask me to show my work on these calculations. Those who are savvy lens mathematicians can confirm these figures-----or argue with them). Cameras with smaller CCDs give higher magnification and those with higher numbers in their specs for the top of their zoom ranges also give more magnification. In this case, the smaller CCDs of the DVC30 give it a bit more magnification than the VX2100, despite it's having a smaller top end of the zoom range spec. The number value of video magnification is of course, a relative figure, based on a comparison to the size of a subject as it would appear on a 35mm photo. This comparison is also subject to how much photo enlargement and video screen size is involved.

Based on the smaller CCDs of the DVC30 and performance reports I've read on both it and the VX2100, I believe the Sony camcorder has much better ability to shoot good pictures in limited light. I also believe the VX2100 will give better overall image quality. As a wildlife videomaker who uses a VX2100, I have found these qualities to be very important.

I use the Sony 58mm, 1.7X telextender, which gives a total magnification of 20.4X. on the VX2100. It vignettes with this add-on lens only below about 40% to 45% full zoom, depending on light levels and use of filters. I'd like to have more magnification, but I've found that image quality and the ability to quickly frame a scene, suffer when you try to squeeze more lens power out of one of these small cameras. Compared to a 16-lb Beta with 2/3-inch CCDs, both these models are very small. I carry my VX2100 around in a backpack or in the cargo box I have on the back of a mountain bike. All things considered, I rate the VX2100 and its closest relatives, the VX2000 and PD170, as the best for standard-definition wildlife videomaking-----that's why I bought one after months of comparative shopping.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2005, 12:15 PM   #14
Wrangler

The VX2100/VX2000 is pretty much unrivaled in low light performance by any other 1/3" or 1/4" 3CCD in its price range. The difference is quite remarkable and its the reason its been a staple in my collection for years.
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2005, 03:56 PM   #15
Regular Crew

i found my DVC30 produces a relativelly unsaturated picture, colors are muted and even with pedestal dialed down rather flat - very uncharascteristic of Pana cams of late. Dont get me wrong i dont bust the cam, its feature rich and good in very many other ways, important ways too. The DVC30 gotten hype-like reviews from many publications but its ultimatelly up to you to see if u like its footage or not. Personally, im not head ova heels about it, but lotsa ppl are.
As for the VX2100, from the grabs i seen it seems like its better PQ-wise, but what im amazed at the most is that the VX2K's got minimal artifacts, like edge enhancement and such.. very nice.
Mike Sakovski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant