Suggested Tests for DVX100? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old October 24th, 2002, 08:46 AM   #1
Contributor

Suggested Tests for DVX100?

Hey Folks,

I am in the process of putting together some ideas/protocols to systematically test, exercise, demonstrate the capabilities of the DVX100.

These are being done for my own edification and in preparation for a project that I am about to shoot - but I would like to share the results when finished.

For both frame grabs and clips: What are the things you would like to know/see? What suggestions would you have for testing protocols and subjects? Feel free to toss out any other ideas or concerns.

Thanks,
Clayton Farr
Clayton Farr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2002, 10:22 AM   #2
Warden

I think you are going to need to compare it to at least one other camera if you are going to use grabs and clips. You need a baseline for reference and comparison. Comparing your grabs to someone else's wouldn't show much. They may have been processed differently etc. I would suggest either an XL1s or PD150. That's what the majority of posters are wanting to know, which one to buy.

I would suggest doing more indoor shots because you can control the lighting. Outdoor shots have so many variables that are difficult at best to control. You don't know if you're looking at differences in the camera or the lighting when your outside.

Better reviews use more than one reviewer. A panel of at least 3 would give a better, more objective perspective. One reviewer and his opinions are not subject to any critical analysis. More conclusions can be drawn if all 3 agree or disagree on certain performance criteria.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2002, 10:42 AM   #3
Contributor

Good points Jeff.

I had considered putting the PD150 and XL1(s) in the mix if availability and time allows.

Are there any sort of specific tests you would suggest or find useful? (ie - color/res charts, combination of settings, certain motion conditions, etc)

Thanks,
Clayton
Old October 24th, 2002, 07:42 PM   #4
Warden

Boy, I've thought about this a little today and i've come up with a few ideas. The color fringing issue is on a lot of peoples mind. Studio shots of very colorful, saturated objects, sharp transients, try to induce the fringing as much as possible in the cameras.

Color accuracy with standard color charts, gray scales. Lacking that, use a series of crayons (I think DP Review does that also). Skin tone test are nice, but there's a case for three reviewers. Everybody sees colors slightly different.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2002, 11:28 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I'd suggest playing with the settings to find out the "optimum" performance of any cam. I know it took me about 6 months to figure out the xl1S's sweet spot. Out of the box, I wasn't entirely happy.

I shot UPC bar codes from a couple of distances to compare resolution.
Old October 26th, 2002, 12:17 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Hello Clayton, how are you? This is related to another thread, located here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4570

but I was wondering if you could film a computer monitor and tell me if there is a lot of flickering or whether there is a clear scan feature similar to the high end Canon DV models.

I know this isn't a benchmark at all but if you wouldn't mind and if you have the time I'd appreciate hearing about the results. Thanks!
katelins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2002, 11:57 AM   #7
Major Player

If I'm allowed to put my 2 cents I'd be more than happy to see someone finally test that Cine gamma option extensively in the DVX100 to see if it really improves on one of the biggest drawback in video : exposure latitude.

So if you could test exposure capabilities in critical lighting situations comparing identical shots of both 24p advanced default and 24p advanced w/Cine gamma on to find out if this option can really push back the blacks and whites clipping treshold or if it's just another marketing fog elaborated by Panasonic.

Maybe also shooting different close-knit patterns to see how the DVX100 handles aliasing.

Thanks
David Lach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2002, 04:19 PM   #8
Regular Crew

cinegamma test DVX100

3 cam setup.

1/ DVX100
2/ PD-150
3/ XL1s

Then...

Shoot some pyro to see if the cinegamma can handle it. Or if it clips horribly like all other video.

For some reason, I seem to recall episodes of The Young Ones in their kitchen and noticing how small flares blew out the CCD's. Have we progressed at all since then?

:>

/Adrian
Adrian van der Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2002, 05:58 PM   #9
Contributor

Thanks for all of the feedback and ideas thus far. I'm adjusting my list accordingly. Please keep them coming if you have any others. (Also any additional suggestions on methods for empirical/systematic testing would be helpful.)

BTW - The license to blow stuff up in order to 'test' a camera is brilliant ;) (I'll have to see if I have any responsible pyrotechnically enabled friends.)

Thanks again,
Clayton
Old October 27th, 2002, 11:29 AM   #10
Major Player

Clayton,
Thanks for taking on this project. It is going to be very, very interesting. If the part with the pyrotechnics ever comes to pass it has the makings of a movie script.

Thank you again and good luck, Nick
Nick Kerpchar is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant