DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/)
-   -   Pana History (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/4597-pana-history.html)

Chester Thompson October 26th, 2002 10:38 AM

Pana History

Have watched with great interest the reviews and words on the VX100. I have been hoping the MX5000 would become available in the states and saw an announcement that a version of it would be available in November from Panasonic. I have been watching the mx 5000 until the vx100 became available. I am a dedicated sony user having brought some lower end camcorders and have always wanted to look at the Pana series but have constantly seen the overseas models much better until the vx100 came alone. So my question is:

How has panasonic been about their first production runs of their equipment? Is their track record pretty decent. This question is based on the fact I am getting close to possibly ordering one. I am looking for somewhere close or in my travels to work with one. Are they any worst than anyone else in trying to get the first units on the street. I see some chip problems with the first units but haven't seen much since then. Do they take care of their users if there is a problem.

I use higher end nikon equipment with a pro status and know of their limitations.

thanks

Chester

Frank Granovski October 26th, 2002 02:42 PM

Hi, Chester, from a happy FM2-T user---and always looking for manual lenses....

I think that Panasonic and Sony are equal, for the most part. They both make cheap cams and expensive cams, a full line.

I wouldn't hesitate with buying Panasonic, you just have to pick the right model, like with Sony. I think the DVX100 is a good cam, and if anything is wrong with one you buy, Panasonic has to honour their warranty.

I bought 2 MX300s from Australia, and when I found out they needed a firmware upgrade, Pana AU offered to arrange and pay shipping both ways. One of my cams is in Iran, and Pana even arranged to have that one picked up and sent back. Do you think Sony would do this? I doubt it.

Jeff Donald October 29th, 2002 09:42 PM

Over the years I've have found Panasonic to be much better in customer relations and a more service oriented company than Sony ever dreamed of being. In my experience Sony snubs it's nose at the little guy and caters more to the broadcast facilites. Panasonic is much more eager and willing to work with the little guy. Panasonics service is only marginally better (quicker) than Sony's.

Jeff

Scott Silverman October 30th, 2002 03:26 AM

Hi,
Does anyone know how Canon compares to Sony and Panny? How well (if at all) do they honor an international warrenty in the US and stuff?

Thanks.

Jeff Donald October 30th, 2002 05:29 AM

If you read the International Warranty you'll see there is no coverage under it in the US. The coverage under the International Warranty limits you to basically sending the camera back to Japan for service. Camera companies (Canon, Nikon, Minolta etc) are hurt much harder by gray market camera sales than the electronic companies (Panasonic, Sony etc.). Canon requires proof of purchase (dated sales reciept) and a copy of the US Warranty for any service within the warranty period. If you can not provide both pieces of proof, services under warranty is usually denied. There are exceptions, of course, but they are very, very, few.

In regards to speed of service Canon is in the same boat as Panasonic and Sony. I have found Canon to be a little quicker than Sony. That's why the XL1 USA Owners Club is such a good deal. Much quicker service (if possible) and loaners etc. Hopefully Panasonic will copy it for the DVX100.

Jeff