DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/)
-   -   DVC 30 xlr adaptor (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/46992-dvc-30-xlr-adaptor.html)

Nathan Chaszeyka June 29th, 2005 11:08 PM

DVC 30 xlr adaptor

I searched and could not find a clear answer for my question, I apologise if starting a new thread for this was poor etiquette...on to my question.

Is the xlr adaptor from panasonic the only one that I can use with my dvc 30? If not, what would be a good recommended adaptor, or is the one made by panasonic the best option for this specific camera?

Mathiu Zimmermann June 30th, 2005 05:14 AM

You can always use a different product, but they all would have to be plugged into the mini-plug input of the camcorder.

I think the MYA would be the best choice, simply b/c it has a better proprietary connector + phantom power, which is otherwise hard to come by.

Peter Jefferson June 30th, 2005 08:21 AM

it really is worthwhile gettin the "official" adapter as it opens up a myriad of sound options within the cameras menu system when its connected. On top of that its NOT as clunky as a beachtek and it looks extremely sexy when doing a shoot.

Nathan Chaszeyka June 30th, 2005 12:32 PM

thank you

Thanks guys, that was exactly the information that I was looking for.

Adam Folickman July 1st, 2005 04:33 AM

Sexy ???? Whoaaaa !!!

You mean if I use it, I will attract more chicks and they will be mine ?? !!!

:-D

(I couldn't resist)

Mathiu Zimmermann July 1st, 2005 05:08 AM

At least that's what it says in the manual...

@Peter Jefferson: I'm just gettin started, but I thought that the XLR Adapter disabled all Options in the menu... where can I find the additional ones?

Peter Jefferson July 2nd, 2005 08:04 AM

of course.. the chicks see this big black thing hanging and....

bascially all the options within the menu system which pertain to the internal mics are disabled, and replaced with DVX style mic settings (agc, -50/60db etc) i dunno bout NTSC models though, but the dvc units i was using let me o this..

Mathiu Zimmermann July 3rd, 2005 05:21 AM

Sounds great to me, now I have a PAL DVC 30 and must be standing beside me bc I just cannot find the replacements. Could you give me a little more deatailed description? Thank you very much!!

Alex Gee July 3rd, 2005 07:13 PM

Has me puzzled as well. When the XLR adapter is connected the only user adjustable option left available is monitor level.
The microphone input mode selector is fixed at manual and can not be changed to AGC.
The -50dBu/-60dBu is a function of the attenuator switch on the adapter itself.
So, there appear to be no "myriad of sound options within the cameras menu system" when the "official" adapter is connected.

Peter Jefferson July 4th, 2005 07:12 AM

oops, i meant the menu system options are turned off and replaced with the "myriad" of functions on the unit itself..

sorry for the confusion and bad writing..
I distinctly remember the -50/-60 seeelection though.. unless im dreaming it and still thinking DVX, which could well be the case coz i was using a dvc30 and a dvc on the same shoot..

ok, u can slap me now..

Alex Gee July 4th, 2005 07:19 AM

Yeah, I think you're mixing the 2 cameras up - SLAP!

Steve Wake July 8th, 2005 12:53 PM

What if I have a MixPre or something similar with real good preamps, phantom power, etc., and I want to feed directly to the Panasonic proprietary connector instead of the miniplug line feed? Does anyone make a cable for this? Does anyone know what each of the pins in that connector on the DVC30 actually is for? Or is this a secret that Panasonic is keeping so people have to buy their hissy XLR adapter in order to have any kind of XLR input to the camera? Even if I could find a connector for Panasonic's plug, is it set up to take a line feed?