PAL Cameras under 60Hz Flourescent Lighting in the USA at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old October 31st, 2002, 11:56 PM   #1
New Boot

PAL Cameras under 60Hz Flourescent Lighting in the USA

Hi all,

All this "hype" (is that the appropriate word) of the PAL version of the DVX100 has me a bit excited... 25p + extra resolution sounds great.

But I've also heard horror stories about filming under 60Hz flourescent lights using PAL equipment. I live in the USA and would like to know what do you do to reduce it?

I've heard of something called a Ballast, but I suspect it is not something you can hook up to the flourescent lights in your house / office.

So is it practical to use a PAL camcorder in the USA with so much flourescent lighting?

Tim

P.S. I'm using this to make inexpensive movies, not weddings or videos of my kids.
Tim Otholt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2002, 02:13 AM   #2
Regular Crew

all flouroscents lights have a ballast. It's what drives the particles in it to make light. ;)

the better ones get rid of that 60Hz flicker. And a good one isn't that much more than a low-grade ballast. Only makes a real difference if you're thinking of buying in the tens or hundreds.
Adrian van der Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2002, 08:16 AM   #3
New Boot

Err... ok... I'm a bit confused

(Note: I have no lighting experience other than turning on my light switch on and off in my house. =P)

So...

I'm looking at the flourescent bulb in my house, hanging from my ceiling. Inside the bulb is a ballast?

Does this mean I can get rid of the 60Hz <-> 50Hz PAL camera flicker by replacing my flourescent bulb in the ceiling?

Tim
Tim Otholt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2002, 03:05 PM   #4
Warden

No, the ballast is part of the fixture. You would have rewire each fixture witha new ballast.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2002, 11:38 PM   #5
Contributor

Re: PAL Cameras under 60Hz Flourescent Lighting in the USA

<<<-- Originally posted by TimOtholt : Hi all,

But I've also heard horror stories about filming under 60Hz flourescent lights using PAL equipment. I live in the USA and would like to know what do you do to reduce it?

So is it practical to use a PAL camcorder in the USA with so much flourescent lighting?

-->>>

Tim, if you set the shutter speed to 1/60th sec the flicker
is eliminated. Sony PAL cameras have this option and I
assume the PAL DVX100 will as well.

For more info see http://www.dvfilm.com/book.htm
Marcus van Bavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2002, 01:23 AM   #6
Outer Circle

Having a PAL cam, I've noticed flickering under the cheap fluorescent lighting, but non under tungsten. If you want to do serious shooting, I suggest getting the right kind of lighting equipment. It's not expensive if you know where to look. Bryan Beasleigh would be the member to give you some good lighting advice.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2002, 07:15 AM   #7
Major Player

Tim,
Just to close the loop on the question of the ballast in a fluorescent light fixture. It is the transformer and is usually a heavy rectangular black box that is mounted in the center of the fixture (although I have seen them mounted on the side of built-in commercial types of fixtures).

The ballast is usually the thing that you smell when a fluorescent fixture is about to burn-out; "Does anyone smell something like electrical wire burning?" Most times it's the ballast.

Nick
Nick Kerpchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2002, 11:05 AM   #8
New Boot

Thanks

Thanks all, Nick included, for filling in all the information. Mucho appreciated all!

Tim

P.S. I will probably get the NTSC version due to price, college student and all.
Tim Otholt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant