DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/)
-   -   Got My Ag-dvx100!!!!!! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/4731-got-my-ag-dvx100.html)

Michael Pappas November 1st, 2002 02:03 PM

Got My Ag-dvx100!!!!!!

Hello everyone. I just purchased the DVX100 yesterday from Promax. I have had almost no time to test it since I have a deadline on a few projects. First impressions: Panasonic made an amazing camera for the price. It's definitely got a lot of power to it. I like Sony gear a lot, but if your buying in this range like PD150 or XL1S (except if you need removable lens system) the AG-DVX100 is the one to buy. The DVX100 is a highend camera that's is squeezed into a small body at a good price point. That's why there are so many pro aspects to this camera. The other camera's are consumer first and try to be professional. The PD150 is an up converted VX2000. Don't get me wrong the PD150/VX200 is a great camera but it lacks a lot of what the DVX100 has. I have not used a Panasonic camera since the MII systems. So it's been a while. Now enter Panasonics Varicam system and etc which is awesome. I feel they have grabbed a good part of the market because they are making excellent products.

The DVX100 is now just another example of ongoing achievements in design and execution of good ideas. I heard that Panasonic had asked pros what they wanted on this camera and listened and delivered. That makes me even more proud of Panasonic.

I hear that this camera can have firmware upgrade. If so that's amazing.

There are two things I would like to see return in the 24p mode. Auto Focus, and the ability to gain the image up. These options especially the gain I like to have. I know it effects the Cine gamma, but I can deal with that. Why auto focus, well I was using manual lenses since I was preteen cameraman over 17yrs ago. So manual is first, but auto focus can be manipulated to be a very handy tool. Especially when it has the push button for quick focus. Very handy.

I am going to write a review as soon as I can test the camera out and get the time.

Michael Pappas
Arrival Entertainment
Arrfilms@hotmail.com

Nick Kerpchar November 2nd, 2002 02:15 PM

Michael,
Congrads on being the proud new owner of a Panny 24p. I look forward to your review.... and hope it will not be too far in the future.

Nick

mitchell kirk November 4th, 2002 11:33 PM

please run that baby through the mill...
I'm starting to hear negative remarks about the 100, waiting
to hear what you think....
i am very interested in the gamma setup and it's consistantcy...

Stephen Barrie November 6th, 2002 08:41 PM

Mitchell,
What kind of negative remarks are you hearing?
Thanks,
Stephen

Doug Miller November 7th, 2002 09:33 AM

I want to hear any negitives as well. I got to demo the camera last week but didn't have the time to really run it thru any major tests.

I am hoping to do a side by side but that is a few weeks off.

mitchell kirk November 7th, 2002 04:52 PM

neg?

Am am looking at the 100 for my next shoot, i also am looking at using it with a skycrane jr...
Bob from skycrane said his pal just got one and was sadly dissapointed, that the cam was unproven and a poor marketing attempt by panasonic to enter the mini dv market - also didn't come near thr pro side like the sony or canon xl1s

why, he did not say (email) jeez i hate that

he is suppose to call me about the specifics

personally i don't care for the canon red and i am mixed with sony

on paper the pan 100 looks like the ticket, i also like the gamma of other pan cams ...

So i am waiting to hear from bob
anyone have yea or nea on the skycrane jr or use another 10 foot crane ?? i am worried about how fluid the head is??

I also heard neg thoughts about the progresive mode with respect to image quality.... but that could be operator error....

more i'm sure

Jeff Donald November 7th, 2002 05:18 PM

This thread may answer some of your questions http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...&threadid=3055 I've seen just a couple of shots recently (DV to BQ monitor not downloads) and I'm not terribly impressed. It offers an alternative to Sony and Canon, but it's no Holy Grail.

Jeff

mitchell kirk November 7th, 2002 06:18 PM

not impressed why???

hows the color rendition?
is it digital grainy?
is it noisey?
does it feel like a toy?
how does it focus
48 v audio any noise
what didn't impress you
and please don't compare it to a 15k ike

16 bit cd players didn't impress many in the begining but it got the job done........

please give us more than i really don't like blue green because i can't see it......

thanks for any help

i am way far from any dealer, so i just can't go see for my self
i may be stuck ordering something just to get the job done

Jeff Donald November 7th, 2002 07:00 PM

You need to understand that the footage I saw, I did not shoot. It was viewed on a high end Sony BQ monitor (BVM14, I think). So I really can't address was this feature used or what setting etc. While, I respect the person who did the shooting, there is a learning curve with any new piece of equipment. That said, these are my impressions.

The audio seemed very professional. Absolutely no hiss, noise or any audio deficiencies.

The focus seemed fine, but the operator was an experienced shooter. I wouldn't expect to see any problems. The scenes looked sharp and in focus. But if I was told it was shot with a Sony PD150 or Canon XL1S (or even GL2 maybe) I wouldn't have questioned the subtle differences. The scenes were well lit daylight subjects. I would guess shot at F4 or F5.6. But again, if I'd been told it was a Sony or Canon I would not have been surprised.

The colors (particularly skin tones) seemed very accurate. Skin tones probably impressed me the most. Noise, grain etc were typical high end DV. Again, nothing to say it wasn't Canon or Sony.

I've not had a chance to actually shoot with one (maybe this weekend). So, the fit, finish, feel etc. I have no comment on.

What are my thoughts and would I buy one? Well, I own two Canon XL1 (an S, and non-S) and I don't see a need to sell them. I do occasionally (every 2 or 3 years) shoot a short or a feature. In the past the clients had me use Sony's and the projects eventually went to film. If I did a lot of that type of work I would give serious consideration to buying the Panasonic DVX100. Am I selling my Canon's? No way. It's a lateral move. It doesn't offer enough of a difference to warrant taking a hit selling my cameras. If I didn't own a camera and had an immediate need for one, the Panasonic would get serious consideration. But without an immediate need I would wait. I think this camera is waking up Sony and Canon and that both will have new cameras by next year, this time.

Now, if you need a new set of toys to generate your creative juices, then I can't think of a better toy. But my next toy is a plug-in, Magic Bullet.

Jeff

Michael Pappas November 7th, 2002 09:05 PM

Re: neg?

Mitchell, I am the friend that Bob knows that owns the AGDVX100. I live down the street form Bob Jones. He was joking with you. He thought your gooffy email with a statement like "training monkeys to pull focus" was me screwing with him. So he wrote you back an email thinking it was me he was messing with talking bad about my new AGVX100.

Scarry how jokes turn into stories that get spread around like Mayo on a slice of bread.

As for the DVX100 it's better then the XL1,PD150,GL2,VX2000 and any other camera in its class. If you need a removable lens then the XL1S is for you. But, the Leica lens is top of the line and beats the pants off all other cams lenses mentioned here. With exception to the 14x and 16x manual lenses for the XL1S. Those are good pieces of glass, as the Leica is too!

I am working on my review on the DVX100 for DVinfo.net

I hope this puts out this brush fire.....Wooosh!

Michael Pappas
Arrfilms@hotmail.com

<<<-- Originally posted by mitchell kirk : Am am looking at the 100 for my next shoot, i also am looking at using it with a skycrane jr...
Bob from skycrane said his pal just got one and was sadly dissapointed, that the cam was unproven and a poor marketing attempt by panasonic to enter the mini dv market - also didn't come near thr pro side like the sony or canon xl1s

why, he did not say (email) jeez i hate tha

he is suppose to call me about the specifics

personally i don't care for the canon red and i am mixed with sony

on paper the pan 100 looks like the ticket, i also like the gamma of other pan cams ...

So i am waiting to hear from bob
anyone have yea or nea on the skycrane jr or use another 10 foot crane ?? i am worried about how fluid the head is??

I also heard neg thoughts about the progresive mode with respect to image quality.... but that could be operator error....

more i'm sure -->>>

mitchell kirk November 7th, 2002 10:33 PM

that's really funny, he had me going...

i was hoping he had so trick cable push to move focus from 1 position to another. I made one for an old film camera that was in a blind for some wildlife shots.... now i want one for a jib....

can you test the remote on the camera with the jib up, can u be directly behind it and still control it???

do you have any cine "look" plugins to try on the 24p

look forward to the review,

wooosh is right - thankz

CUT Productions November 9th, 2002 10:43 AM

DVX100 is better

"As for the DVX100 it's better then the XL1,PD150,GL2,VX2000 and any other camera in its class."

What objective evidence are you basing this upon. I have heard variously on this forum that the new GL2 with 1/4" chips and the PD150 are vastly superior to the XL1s. I have worked with the PD150 and the XL1s extensively and like Jeff Donald I can not see any difference worth noting.

Unless they have come up with exciting new developments in 1/3rd and 1/4" chips the physical limitations dictate that they are going to be pretty much of a muchness, pixel shift or not.

I use a XL1s professionally, and in good light and conditions it competes with much higher end gear and so if there is this new camera that is so much better then, wow, no need for £30,000 digibetas.

I have looked at many DVX100 stills on the net - I can not see this much superior quality. I am not looking for an argument but objective evidence because, if it is true then I am seriously interested in the camera.

What is a disappointment, for me, is that they are still introducing these cameras with prosummer forms - i.e. non-interchangeable lenses, viewfinders etc. and not taking up the gaunlet led by Canon.

Regards.

Chris Hurd November 9th, 2002 10:54 AM

Howdy from Texas,

<< I have heard variously on this forum that the new GL2 with 1/4" chips and the PD150 are vastly superior to the XL1s. >>

Marginally better -- yes (the GL2 is a year ahead of the XL1S). Vastly superior -- no. In this arena, it's important not to get hung up on hyperboled superlatives. Instead, consider the realistic relative differences, which are in actuality quite minimal. The truth of the matter is that all of these cameras have far more in common with each other than any real differences. What differences there are, i.e. between the GL2 and XL1S, should be looked upon with accurate quantification; that is, that one is *slightly better* than the other. Nothing "vastly superior" about it.

<< What is a disappointment, for me, is that they are still introducing these cameras with prosummer forms - i.e. non-interchangeable lenses, viewfinders etc. >>

Sorry, but this isn't true; plenty of DV cameras available in the professional form factor: JVC GY-DV5000, Sony DSR-500, Panasonic AG-DVC200, etc. You need only to pay for the difference, but if you want pro features, they most certainly do exist. Just at a different price point, is all.

Stephen Barrie November 9th, 2002 10:57 AM

Magic Bullet

And of course the question should be asked, if the main selling point of the Panasonic is the 24p, then perhaps the newly released software - Magic Bullet - is a better solution when combined with the XL1s or even the GL2.
You can check out this amazing software at theorphanage or the toolfarm.

Still wondering,

Stephen

Jeff Donald November 9th, 2002 10:59 AM

I wouldn't put all my trust in the Leica lens either. Leica, Zeiss, Schneider are all great optical companies. But the Japanese have made great strides in optics over the last 20 years. Now, very little separates the great German optics from the best Japan has to offer. A case could also be made that Canon knows much more about optics for video than Leica. Those great big (white) broadcast video lens you see at golf matches, the Olympics etc. are made by Canon or Fujinon, not Leica.

Jeff