need help with shooting reality type show at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old July 18th, 2005, 10:38 PM   #1
Tourist

need help with shooting reality type show

I currently own a dvx100a and I was going to be shooting some footage for a show aimed for television. We are doing this independently and planning on shopping it around (MTV, VH1 etc). I plan on shooting with two cameras the dvx100a for A camera and a pdx10 for B camera. I'm not familiar with the pdx10, does it have progressive mode? Also are most shows shot at 30p or 60i? Will the difference between the quality of cameras be too jarring for the viewer?

Any help will be greatly appreciated as I'm a newbie when it comes to shooting for tv (I've done more short film work).

Thanks,
Matt
Matt Qualls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2005, 07:44 AM   #2
Jubal 28

The PDX10 has no progressive mode.

Most reality TV is shot at 60i, because of its hyper-real motion rendering.

But that doesn’t mean you’re limited to it. If you think 60i works best, go that way. But don’t do it just because everyone else is.
David Jimerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2005, 10:36 AM   #3
Trustee

Reality TV is hot at 60i... you should know that most networks will only work with established production companies. Find a similar reality show and talk to the production company about developing something.

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2005, 09:30 PM   #4
Major Player

some of the reality shows such as Intervention on A&E and a few on TLC are shot on the DVX 30p usually.
Matt Stahley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2005, 12:47 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Yep. I was a shooter on Intervention. It is shot with the DVX 100a in 30P. The First 48 on A&E is shot with the PD-170 at 1/30 shutter. Another show that I occassionally work on, Plastic Surgery Before & After (Discovery Health) is shot partially 60i and the surgery is shot at 1/30 shutter. It is true that most shows are shot in 60i.

I would shoot in 60i to be safe because that progressive look can be added later but not removed.

Let me say that you do need to get ready for a loooooong submission process when pitching a show to a network which you won't do directly unless you know some key players. Here are a few threads with some submission information.

www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=39291

www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=40710

www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=46042

Last edited by James Emory; July 20th, 2005 at 01:10 AM.
James Emory is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant