Final DVX questions before purchase at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old July 27th, 2005, 10:53 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Final DVX questions before purchase

Hey everyone,
I am new videographer and have been shooting with my PV-DV953 seriously for about 8 months now and have decided to upgrade to a camera that performs better in low light and has good audio capabilities as well. I was going to get the DVC30, but could spend a bit more and am pretty sure I am going to get the DVX100a. I have read a lot about how great the 24P is and the film-like qualities of the camcorder, but I won't be using that mode for the most part. This must seem like a stupid question but, how is the normal video from this cam? Most of the stuff I am doing is short interviews and scenes around 8min which are mostly viewed on the web, or collections of them put on DVD.
Ultimately the plan is to start making some short films on the side, but that is not going to be the main use of the camcorder. I am not interested in investing in HD at this point or in the next couple years. So I suppose the real question is, should I spend the extra $1000 for the DVX. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Also, I am planning on getting the Bogen/manfrotto 501 head for the DVX, but am also considering the newer 701RC2. Is anyone using either of these with the DVX?

Thanks, Mark
Vegas6+DVD
Mark Burlingame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2005, 04:04 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi,

As others have stated in similiar type posts you should look at the cameras side by side. I would assume there are higher end camera suppliers in Oakland.

Also, if you're breaking into the freelance market alot of directors are looking for the 24p functionality.

See ya,

Steph
Stephanie Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2005, 05:27 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Well, there aren't as many stores around here as you would think... I have read most of the comparative posts, gone back and forth and even though I don't really need 24p right now (although 30p might be interesting), but I have pretty much narrowed it down to the DVX100a, DVC30 or the VX2100. I decided against the VX2100 because of the poor audio inputs. And I am leaning towards the DVX for the better low light, separate zoom and focus rings, switchable ND filters, and excellent audio with XLR phantom mic inputs. It seems to me that going to the DVC30 is a small step up from the 953, better manual controls, better low light, but I don't want to spend 2 grand and then feel like I should have spent the extra money for a significant jump in performance. Mark
Vegas6+DVD
Old July 27th, 2005, 05:45 PM   #4
Major Player

"seems to me that going to the DVC30 is a small step up from the 953"

Hi Mark,

I ordered and received the DVC30 a few days ago, and I can say that it's a HUGE upgrade (much better low-light performance), compared with my MX5000 (DV953). I'm so impressed with the camcorder.
Young Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2005, 07:18 PM   #5
Major Player

Mark,

Alzheimers is setting in, I fear. I forgot to mention that I love my 100A.

Beautiful picture. The optics are pretty outstanding, great in low light, wonderful audio capabilities. My only slight issue is the lens. It's pretty wide which makes it difficult to shorten the depth of field. But, I just throw in some shutter and I'm pretty much set. I'd rather do that than have to buy a wide angle adapter.

Bye,

Steph
Old July 27th, 2005, 07:24 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Burlingame
... I have read most of the comparative posts, gone back and forth and even though I don't really need 24p right now
Mark,

I didn't think I really needed (or wanted) 24p, but I was enamored with the 16:9 and other features on the XL2 and so I bought it. I now love 24p, and that's saying alot since I was very skeptical beforehand.

I noticed you've not included the XL2 and so the only other camera on you list with 24p is the DVX. Seriously consider it!
Old July 27th, 2005, 08:50 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Mark,

I own the dvc 30 and I'm amazed at the quality:money ratio, and generally love everything about it. So I hope that my words have some impact, buy the 100a if it is an option.

As far as shooting in 60i goes, I have never come up short with the dvc 30. I have however missed out on several opportunities to make money because I did not have 24p capabilities and more specifically I did not have a 100a.

There are a lot of people who are looking for their project to be shot on the 100a and nothing else. The extra money spent on the 100a will be easily recouped because of the demand for its use.

Good luck.
Nathan Chaszeyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2005, 09:14 PM   #8
Regular Crew

If you're not going to use the progressive modes then I would go with the 30. Panasonic really cleaned up the video gain with this model. While not as sensitive as the DVX (larger chips) it can be used up to 15db if needed which makes it just about as good in low light. The picture under normal lighting is very close. The DVX still has a more refined image which I prefer but most people won't notice the difference.
Mathew Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2005, 09:44 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew Evan
If you're not going to use the progressive modes then I would go with the 30. Panasonic really cleaned up the video gain with this model. While not as sensitive as the DVX (larger chips) it can be used up to 15db if needed which makes it just about as good in low light. The picture under normal lighting is very close. The DVX still has a more refined image which I prefer but most people won't notice the difference.
Hi again,

The quality of your transmitted product is always limited by the quality of the receiver. If your video is only going online and DVD than Mathew may be right. A 30 might be just fine for your needs. Not aware of how clean the 15db boost looks, but if most of your viewers are on the net I agree that most people won't notice any noise.

However, if you are hoping to make "films" in the near future, why pay $2,000 now and have to put out $3,000 later in order to make that happen.
I say spend the $3,000 now and be capable of shooting whatever ends up on your plate now or then.....

Best regards,

Steph
Old July 28th, 2005, 01:41 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie Wilson
Hi again,

I say spend the $3,000 now and be capable of shooting whatever ends up on your plate now or then.....

Best regards,

Steph
These are words that make sense to me. I was going get the 30 which seems to be an awesome camcorder, but I have a little extra $$ right now and so I can splurge and get the 100a! Wheee!!!

Patrick,
No question the XL2 is a great cam, but the 30 was really in my price range and I just happened to get a little extra cash and so was able to just be able to get the 100a. The XL2 is just out of reach financially.

Thanks everyone, next stop B&H, should have it in a couple days!! Mark
Vegas6+DVD
Old July 28th, 2005, 01:44 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Good choice Mark. Best of luck.
Nathan Chaszeyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2005, 02:00 AM   #12
Major Player

[QUOTE=Mark Burlingame]These are words that make sense to me. I was going get the 30 which seems to be an awesome camcorder, but I have a little extra $$ right now and so I can splurge and get the 100a! Wheee!!!

Way to shop Mark. I'm sure you will be super pleased with the 100A.

Happy shooting,

Steph
Old July 28th, 2005, 05:04 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Burlingame
Patrick, No question the XL2 is a great cam, but the 30 was really in my price range and I just happened to get a little extra cash and so was able to just be able to get the 100a. The XL2 is just out of reach financially.
Mark,

I wasn't very clear in my recommendation. I was not asking you to consider the XL2, I was relating that 24p was a feature I didn't think I wanted or needed, until I had it.

I was trying to push you toward the decision it looks like you already made: DV100A.
Old July 28th, 2005, 06:03 AM   #14
Inner Circle

for web based material, progressive scan is a must have.. obviously you can deinterlace in post, but if u retain interlaced footage for web delivery, you may (or most likely WILL) get interlace combing..

I cant fault my DVX units (i have an original and the "A" model..)
the A model offers afew more features, however its a little noisier when using the gain...
If u can find a second hand original release, go for it, especially if ur not using progressive, coz later on if u change ur mind u can evovle to shoot in progressive and the option is there at the flick of a switch.. (or turn of a dial in this case)
I still have my mx500 as a backup... they all do their jobs extremely well

One thign to note is that the MX500 does full res 16:9 without any cropping. It also shoots in frame mode (pseudo progressive) so makes a good companion (albeit with good light) to the DVX

The dvc is also a good cam, however i found that even when calibrated, it woudl shift colour. Predominately, pinks would turn blood red, and orange would turn to a flat red. I had one of these units for 3 months and used it on one shoot only. It cannot compare to the DVX in terms of image quality, colour accuracy and manual controls.. on the other hand, its 16x optical zoom is absolutely kick ass, and you can easily get away with using its squeeze mode for 16:9 (It chops the top and bottom then strecthes vertically to fill the screen.. Despite what people think, you DONT degrade the image.. u just LOSE a bit of the top and bottom... but the wide lense makes up for this loss anyway) and frame mode for pseudo progressive motion
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant