DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/)
-   -   If given the choice of the 2 to shoot a feature, which would you choose? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/48620-if-given-choice-2-shoot-feature-would-you-choose.html)

Michael Maier July 31st, 2005 04:09 PM

If given the choice of the 2 to shoot a feature, which would you choose?

I have been asked to shoot a feture film, acting as the director of photography. The film will be all shot at night. Externals and internals. I was given 2 choices for camera set up.

A DVC200e (PAL version) with a fujinon S14x6.2BERM (that's a 15k lens)
A DVX100 PAL

I'm leaning towards the DVC200 for the cleaner and sharper image and better performance in low light. Opinions?

Peter Jefferson July 31st, 2005 10:03 PM

now this depends on how you want to deliver.. whather ur using Progressive scan or interlaced...
the DVC200 is NOT a progressive camera. however with some good software you can emulate the progressive look, just be sure to use the correct shutter speeds..

also the DVC caries a larger CCD, and the Fujinon lens apparently offers higher image clarity.. i cant verify the clarity statement (ive got a buddy whos got that same set up) but i can guarantee that the Leica of the DVX wont has as many lens ghosts, however the DVC depth of field is much shorter, therefore wont require as much zooming.

Best thing to do is to take both cameras out, and shoot, and see which one you prefer

Preston Herrick August 1st, 2005 09:46 PM

I own NTSC versions of each of those cameras. They'll definitely produce different results. If you're not going out to film or not sure if you will, personally I'd go with the DVX. We shot a sci-fi short at night in low light conditions, and got pleasing results - and right out of the camera it looks like film.

But Peter's right. You need to consider delivery format and try the cameras first hand.

www.radiomechanics.com

Michael Maier August 2nd, 2005 03:13 AM

Thanks for the replies. Film out is sure a possibility and a goal actually.
If shooting with the DVX, I would definetely shoot progresive. As it's a dramatic piece, film look is important. I have used a DVC200 before and liked the camera. If it had progressive, I wouldn't even be considering a DVX. But the progressive option is a nice one.

Peter Jefferson August 2nd, 2005 06:27 AM

Theres more to progressive scan thatn the film look alone..
U need to also consider the fact that Progressive scan is FULL resolution.. not half res fields you find in interlaced material.. Basicaly you get twice the resolution per TRUE frame (ie you get the full ccd block res, not 2 fields giving half res each), but you also get that "film" motion look simply by shooting in this method.
And even if you dont deliver to film, it would still kick ass in image quality coz the leica lens is prolly the best glass in this cameras range..i DELIBERATLY shoot into light sources... trust me, on a night shoot, aim it at a nice spotty and you'll see what im talking about..
Also during the day, point it to the sun.. (even though people say dont, i havent had a probelm in 3 years.. ) but shoot the sun through some trees and rotate the camera... then youll understand where im coming from..