I didn't buy a UV filter and.... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old August 9th, 2005, 11:38 AM   #1
Regular Crew

I didn't buy a UV filter and....

my lens already has a noticeable spot on it. Is there any consensus on how to clean the DVX lens? I've searched all over and it seems that there are a lot of different viewpoints.

It's just a spot, and hopefully should come off easy. I don't want to take any chances though.

For the current users on this forum, what do you consider to be the safest way to clean the lens?
Matt Ramphal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2005, 06:32 PM   #2
Major Player

My favorite cleaning meathod, simple lens cleaning tissue. you can buy it at any photography store, it comes in little yellow packs. You rip one out, clean the lens and throw it away. They are like a buck.
Stefan Scherperel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2005, 07:21 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Ramphal
my lens already has a noticeable spot on it. Is there any consensus on how to clean the DVX lens? I've searched all over and it seems that there are a lot of different viewpoints.

It's just a spot, and hopefully should come off easy. I don't want to take any chances though.

For the current users on this forum, what do you consider to be the safest way to clean the lens?
Hey Matt,

We used computer and component cleaning wipes. Sorry, I don't remember who makes them but they come in a sealed package that include a wet wipe and a drying wipe. More expensive than the previous suggestion.

But I would strongly advise you to get a clear filter. You scratch that camera lens and you will kick yourself in the arse for not spending a fraction of the cost for a filter rather than a new camera. If I remember correctly the multi-resistant filters have more coating which helps with lens flare. The Panny's are more susceptible to this problem because their lenses are so wide.

Go shopping please,

Steph
Stephanie Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2005, 04:57 AM   #4
Major Player

AAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH. Cleaning a lens (vs a filter) is a very delicate thing. Lens glass is relatively soft. Try doing some google searches to find techniques (lots in still picture world about this), but one to use is...

Roll up a piece of lens tissue, then tear it in half. Use the "fuzzy ends" where you tore it and put some lens cleaner solution on it. Then wipe gently with a circular motion, using a new piece as needed. Be generous with fluid, but it should not be dripping down the lens.

DO NOT just take a piece of lens tissue and wipe the lens like you are cleaning a pair of cheap sunglasses, or you may end up with more scratches than you start with.
Old August 10th, 2005, 07:51 AM   #5
Trustee

I had this same problem when I bought my Z1U. I forgot about the UV filter and didn't get one for like 2 months. The lenses got dirty.

After talking with like 5 different pros they told me to use standard "lens" clothes that you can get from photographer stores. But, make sure it's non-abrasive...the "good stuff" if you can get it. Not cheap cloth cleaner....it's like $3.99 for one cloth and definately use only once (one side per cleaning) and throw away.
Old August 10th, 2005, 07:59 AM   #6
Inner Circle

difference is that Pana lense (well the leica anyway) is glass, while the Carl Zeis is a composite plastic
Ive found the Z1 is far more prone to retain dirt than the leica ANYDAY.. looking at the 2 side by side even after a good scrub down, you CAN see the difference.

i jsut need to work out how im gonna get a hair from my sftie OUT of the inner element of one of my DVX's though.. not happy!!!
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant