Dvc200 Not Recording at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old April 5th, 2011, 08:59 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Dvc200 Not Recording

Hello...
I purchased a used Ag-Dvc200p on ebay. It looks to be in really good condition (lens glass looks nice and everything).
The problem is that I can't get a connection with the firewire. My first assumption was that the board was fried, since a lot of people have had problems with camera firewire.
I purchased a new, large, dv tape and put it in. It doesn't even act like a tape is in. Transport controls don't do anything and the vtr button doesn't, either.
Does it seem rational that a camera that isn't damaged would be messed up in the firewire and tape mechanism?
I can record on a computer from the s-video out, just fine.
I'm questioning if I'm missing something simple like "enable vtr" or something. I don't see anything that I'm not doing, but I keep seeing people saying to put the camera in vtr mode and stuff, so I want to make sure.
I'd really hate to take it to a repair shop and them tear it all apart and then tell me that it's ok.
JJ
Joshua Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2011, 12:22 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Dvc200 Not Recording

Joshua,

When you put the tape in, does it wind a bit and make a little noise? The camera should read a bit of the tape then show information on the viewfinder about time left.

Can you FF or Rewind? In my experience, there is no mode for taping. Tape goes in and start recording.

I can't remember but is there a reset menu choice or button to press?
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2011, 04:37 PM   #3
Regular Crew

When I put the tape in, it just sits there (no noises or viewfinder activity).
I haven't seen a menu setting to reset to factory defaults, or anything. The manual does underline default settings for the menus, so I've gone through and manually reset the menus.
I will say that the first time I put the tape in, it did make a sound and then an error came up on the viewfinder (slack-e or something like that - I'd have to get the manual and look it up). I had to use the emergency eject function (turn some screw like 100 times) as the eject button wouldn't work (it obviously worked to get the tape in the first time and continues to work now). I haven't been able to replicate the problem, since, and it just sits there whenever I insert a tape.
BTW...
Thanks for the reply. I was beginning to wonder if anyone would chime in.
Hehehe...
JJ
Old April 12th, 2011, 05:01 PM   #4
Inner Circle

It sounds like you have a serious issue with the internal workings of the camera. Is this a recent Ebay purchase? I would contact Paypal immediately to start a ticket (if you used Paypal) and the seller to see what is up.

This camera is a bit of a tank (in a good way) and is acting like it is broken.
Old April 12th, 2011, 08:35 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Well, the whole deal was ~$450.
I had considered sending it back, but I wanted to keep the camera. I asked the guy to refund $100 for repairs and he accepted. That brought the purchase price down to ~$350.
At this point, I don't see a lot of ability to try and get anything back.
I'm trying to sell it (specifying the problems that I'm having) on craigslist.
Honestly, I'd rather get something smaller (xl1/vx2000 size). I thought it would be so cool to have a pro cam and it's really just a burden. I don't have any other pro gear. I had to buy an anton bauer battery and I also got a dc power supply. I don't have a tripod, or plate, for it. I can't use it to record motorcycle videos.
It's just too much camera for me.
It will be nice for a couple interviews that I'm scheduling, but not for most everything else.
JJ
Old April 13th, 2011, 05:13 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I'm confused. Are you trying to record FROM a timeline back to the camera? OR are you trying to shoot something with the camera? 2 different processes from the same camera.
I do not want to sound condesending here but back to basics.
If you are recording from a timeline back to tape using the camera as a tape deck then you use the VTR mode with FW (generally) to record back to the tape but if you are shooting with the camera then it needs to be in the CAM mode or whatever it is called, I don't remember off the top of my head. NOW you can use the camera for all it's value record to tape an go on from there.
It really sounds like this is way to much camera for your purposes and while it may be cool to have it if it won't do the job you need done for whatever reason then you paid too much. Sell it get something smaller and more practical that you can use to make good video without spending a lot of money on ancillary items. Hell 1 AB battery still needs a charger (easily a minimum of $400 if used and the bottom of the line), the tripod plate can be a couple of hundred a decent tripod could be, well a few thousand.

Not trying to talk you out of anything but from what you have said IMO this camera is way more than you need.
Just sayin'
Old April 13th, 2011, 06:21 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Hehehe...
I completely agree with the idea that it's more camera that I thought/expected. What really turned me on to the bigger cameras was the low-light sensitivity. I shot a music video in a low-lit studio and it turned out pretty well.
Thankfully, my work has an anton charger.
I'm trying to sell or trade for a smaller camera. I just don't want to take a huge loss on it. If I'm going to, then I'll just keep it for interview type stuff.
My original intention was to record directly to computer via firewire. I'd also like to be able to record to tape for field recording. Neither work, at the moment.
Last night I did some tennis footage with my laptop in my backpack and an s-video cable between. It was really lame.
I do want something smaller, but with a nice picture and manual controls. I tried auto-iris, yesterday during tennis, and it was running back and forth between f8.0 and f2.8 (completely unusable).
JJ
Old April 13th, 2011, 07:44 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Joshua, I am confused. How can you sell or trade this camera if it does not work?

Or have you discovered it does work now?
Old April 13th, 2011, 08:01 AM   #9
Regular Crew

It has always worked through video outputs.
Quote:
I can record on a computer from the s-video out, just fine.
JJ
Joshua Jackson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant