DVC/DVX white balance at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old July 22nd, 2011, 07:51 AM   #1
Major Player

DVC/DVX white balance

When shooting with my DVC80 under a mix of fluorescent lighting and outside daylight, the white balance tends to cycle gradually through RGB values. It's very noticeable where there's a light-colored background or wall behind the subject. You see the color cast change when scrubbing the timeline. At the start of the clip, the background may look pinkish but 30 seconds later it could have a yellow tint. This isn't a consistent problem, but because I use aftermarket batteries I wonder if one of them isn't outputting steady voltage. Could this sort of thing happen with fluctuating voltage or would the camera just shut off?

Another thing I need to verify is if the WB shift occurs on manual setting or only with the 5600K preset. I am inclined to think it's happening with both because I favor those settings.

Have other DVX/DVC users noticed this WB shift? This is unacceptable for client work. Due to the camera's age and service hours logged, it's no longer cost-effective to have the camera serviced professionally by Panasonic. When I don't need HD, I love my DVC80. It's been a true workhorse that's paid for itself many times over. If it's time to retire it, so be it.
Old July 23rd, 2011, 02:52 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: DVC/DVX white balance

Hi Tim

I ran two of the PAL versions of the DVC20 here and I found a trick that seems to work pretty well and I still used it with my HMC72's and also my current HMC82's so the electronics can't have changed that much.

Leave the WB on auto and in the mixed light zoom into anything that's pure white (I do weddings so it's usually the brides dress of white table cloths). Watch thru the EVF and after around 30 seconds you will see the auto balance lock in a setting based on the white object. When the balance shows a definate change then simply zoom back to wide and you will find that the WB holds the setting you have "given it" and you shouldn't have much more problems...

It's something I discovered by accident and I have been using it for the last 5 years ..dunno how the auto WB holds the sample as if you have a manual WB, but it does!!!

The 80 should have the same electronics so try it...you just might be surprised!!!

BTW: When it's time to upgrade the HMC80 is an awesome camera if you don't mind going to shoulder mount cams....I love both mine!!! Otherwise it's the HMC150!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2011, 07:58 AM   #3
Major Player

Re: DVC/DVX white balance

Problem was due to an old battery. No longer an issue.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant