DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/)
-   -   Anyone had the XLR adapter on a DVC30 go bad? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/499314-anyone-had-xlr-adapter-dvc30-go-bad.html)

Les Wilson August 7th, 2011 05:58 AM

Anyone had the XLR adapter on a DVC30 go bad?

Pulled a DVC30 from the closet where various office workers have used it for little projects. I get dead air as soon as I hook up the ag-mya30g XLR adapter. Internal mics are fine. I know it worked about 2 years ago.

I suppose it could be the camera but it's quite possible the XLR adapter got dropped or something.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Mark Watson August 20th, 2011 02:29 AM

Re: Anyone had the XLR adapter on a DVC30 go bad?

Hi Les,

I haven't had any problems with mine, it's 5 years old now. The unit has many mechanical switches, perhaps some corrosion got to it. Exercise the slider and rotary switches several times and see if it helps. If not, try opening the unit and looking for anything obvious. I would also try it with phantom power on and off.

Mark

Les Wilson August 20th, 2011 02:48 AM

Thanks Mark. I did suspect one of the most probable faults was the phantom power and I toggled those switches first thing. But hooking up a field mixer to run the mics didn't solve the problem. You're right, I have nothing to lose by opening it up on the slight chance there's an observable flaw.

Tom Mussatto September 15th, 2011 07:48 PM

I recently had the jack on my DVC30 that accepts the cable from the mixer go bad. Haven't had it replaced yet so don't know what the cost would be but it's worth checking before attempting to take apart a possibly good XLR adapter. I knew it was the jack as I have 2 DVC30's and the adapter worked fine on the second cam.

Les Wilson September 15th, 2011 07:57 PM

I wish I had another DVC-30 to try. I hooked up a field mixer to the 3.5mm mic inputs and they work.

A Panasonic repair shop told me that there's a design flaw that for some condenser mics that have their own power, if you turn on phantom in the DVC adapter, it ruins the adapter. He thought that if the 3.5mm jack worked, it was likely the adapter and not the camera end. Your experience kinda throws that up in the air.

No matter what, it hardly seems worth fixing. Thanks.

Tom Mussatto September 15th, 2011 09:56 PM

The 3.5 jack works fine on this cam. Just the jack for the xlr adapter that's bad. I used a phantom powered mic (Rode NTG-2) on both my DVC30's and it still works fine on one. Fox photo in Chicago could probably give you a price for repair over the phone on replacing the jack. Considering the age of these cams putting a lot of money in them is probably not wise and I doubt I'll get my fixed. Been great cams though and I'll keep using them 'til they croak.