DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/)
-   -   Problems with DVX100a (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/50972-problems-dvx100a.html)

Paul Benjamin Robertson September 12th, 2005 07:25 PM

Problems with DVX100a

Hey, All,
I just got my DVX100a in the mail, but there seems to be a problem with it. I bought it from B&H Photo. Is it normal to hear a sort of clanking inside of the camera? There is a sound like something is loose, but when the camera is powered on, the sound completely goes away. The camera seems to be fully operational, but I am just wondering if something became loose, which might result in future complications with the camera's functionality. Let me know if any of you experienced similar problems or questions with your DVX.

Thanks,
Paul

Cemil Giray September 12th, 2005 07:48 PM

I have two of them and I have no such sound. Sorry.

Barry Green September 12th, 2005 09:09 PM

Everyone with a DVX experiences it. It's completely normal. Look in the DVX Book, it's the first question I addressed because it's usually the first question new owners encounter. :)

Paul Benjamin Robertson September 12th, 2005 09:44 PM

Thanks

Yep. I looked inside of your book, and what do you know? Thank you. Now I can breathe a sigh of relief and get on with filming. :-)

Tom Hardwick October 7th, 2005 02:54 AM

Yep, they all do this, and Cemil neads to get his hearing checked. Electromagnets hold the lens OIS elements in alignment, and on switch off they let go, and the element group is allowed to flop about.

tom.

Cemil Giray October 7th, 2005 04:13 AM

My hearing is fine, thank you very much. I misunderstood the nature of the problem, that is all. Indeed, when the power is off, and you swing the camera about, you hear the clicking. I had assumed we were talking about a 'looser' sound as in something rolling about in the camera.

Bob Costa October 7th, 2005 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Benjamin Robertson
Yep. I looked inside of your book, and what do you know? Thank you. Now I can breathe a sigh of relief and get on with filming. :-)

Perhaps maybe you should read the rest of the book first???

Saturnin Kondratiew October 7th, 2005 05:12 PM

make a sticky about this issue

i am surprised this isnt a sticky yet??? everyoen asks about that. "is my camera broken out of th box" hehehe

David Mackey October 8th, 2005 01:02 PM

that is the image stabilizer

Daniel Runyon October 9th, 2005 12:33 AM

I am very dissappointed with Cemil. I thought he was doing the classic DVXuser prank of letting the guy think it was his cam for a while, and then later letting him off the hook, and then I read that he simply misunderstood. Dang it. When I had read his first post I just laughed and laughed on the inside (wife's sleeping right behind me) as this was once common fun over at DVXU. It's even part of the Technical section header over there.

Cemil Giray October 9th, 2005 02:18 AM

What?

Sorry, I was not aware that this was a prank oriented forum. I thought it was filled with pros or serious amateurs who wanted to discuss/inquire/etc. And forgive me, but I just got back from filming in Africa where I spent most of my time with children who were either raped by their parents, were hiv-positive or had malaria (film will be broadcast 1 December in several dozen countries). One of the kids I filmed three weeks ago, I just found out, died this week. If you want humour, ask me out for a beer or post in a humour-tolerant forum or lounge. Anyway, we're getting serious here. Not sure why this thread is going this route. Chris? Other moderators? Feel free to shift this post elsewhere but I won't be sticking around for long if targeting mode is modus operandi. Back to editing...
PS. If I've further misunderstood, please enlighten me. I just don't like words and phrases insinuating poor hearing or disappointment. Weird bunch.

Daniel Runyon October 9th, 2005 03:36 AM

No, Cemil, this isn't at all a "prank oriented" forum, and I can certainly understand your "humor button" having been recessed a bit due to the things you have recently experienced. I personally have a great deal of respect for media workers who have gone to Africa to bring back the weight of the situation to those of us who have no first hand knowledge....great respect. Perhaps a little explanation will help.

There is another forum, DVXuser.com, devoted more or less exclusively to the DVX (definately less, as it really doesnt matter what camera you use there) and it is a very "humor tolerant" place.......very....and it was/is more or less a tradition to enjoy a little bit of fun with the people who inquire about the famous "DVX clunk" from the optical stablizer, at first telling them that no one elses camera is doing that, and then a little later letting them know that yes, it's normal. By far, most people already know about it when they get the camera because they have done tons of obsessive reading about it before they actually aquire one, but back when the camera was fairly new it was a common question. It's now been a while since the camera came out and that particular curiosity doesnt really come up any more, and this post, with your initial response gave me a flashback to that time. There are others here that frequent that forum, and I knew they would "get" my little joke and it was actually intended for them.

I intended absolutely zero negativity toward you, and the comment of being dissappointed was meant only in a light manner. I, and I'm sure others who see this, will remember that you do not wish to have any humor involved in you interactions here. You should find, however, that the vast majority of posts and posters here at DVinfo.net maintain a very professional demeanor when the context calls for it and there should be little reason for you to feel a need to leave, certainly not from the little bit of fun I intended. I sincerely appologize for causing you any personal stress, and were I to be able to visit France, would love to have a beer with you, but would much rather discuss your recent projects than have a good laugh...as I said, I have major respect for media makers who work with that subject matter. Perhaps you would enjoy a discourse with DVXusers Isaac Brody, a fellow who while only in his twenties, has gone on a couple of trips to Africa to work on projects. Check him out here: http://www.isaacbrody.com/

Daniel Runyon October 9th, 2005 04:09 AM

And by the way, Cemil, I'm actually quite glad this thread happened, as the information having come out about what you've been doing serves as a fine example and reminder of something I believe in quite deeply, that of using the power of our video equipment for truly worthwhile doings, and for that reason, I hope it will be allowed to stand. Perhaps, even years from now, someone will run across this thread and have fresh stimulation and inspiration to go in a different direction with the content they produce. You never know of what good can come of these types of seeds being sprinkled throughout the great www.

Tom Hardwick October 9th, 2005 05:26 AM

And I'll also add my bit. I had no intention of offending you Cemil when I suggested a hearing check. It was said in jest, but also said in some seriousness as I've read many replies in forums such as this where people make wild stab-in-the-dark guesses as to the answer to a serious question, and I wasn't sure if your reply :''I have two of them and I have no such sound'' was just one of these.

I apologise.

tom.

Saturnin Kondratiew October 9th, 2005 12:49 PM

no one intended to offend anyone, just that some ppl jump the gun for whatever reason may be. No Drama needed, there are plenty of forums for drama this aint one of em.

have fun and keep shooting.