Is the DVX dead? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old August 15th, 2012, 10:22 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Is the DVX dead?

No entries in this forum in 4 months. Is anyone still using this great cam?

Although I do shoot in HD more and more these days my personal stuff goes to DVD and I still prefer the images I get with the DVX. Plus this cam is a joy to use, and using a Sony MRC1 in conjunction with tape makes post work flow fast and painless. The biggest advantage I find personally with HD is web use. Even uprezzing, SD just can't compete on the internet anymore.

Anyone still using the DVX? Personal use, professional use?
Tom Mussatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2012, 10:13 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Is the DVX dead?

Hi Tom... yes even though I have a couple of HD cameras (XH-A1S and XL-H1A) I still shoot some jobs and personall projects on my DVX-100b and Canon XL2. I still love the image that comes out of both... esp the DVX...

I still have a LOT of jobs that simply want nice clean SD on DVD's and while HD DOES look better downconverted to SD/DVD sometimes its quicker to stick with SD all the way from the start... :)
Old August 18th, 2012, 11:11 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Sold mine about a year ago, was surprised how quickly it was gone, think that it was only 5 days on sale before a guy picked it up. He was going to use it as ENG camera for local news network with publication on the internet only and he was very happy to see in what good condition the camera was in. :)

I also liked this camera a lot, but as HD marched on and my wedding demo's didn't look so nice anymore (resolution wise) on those very big lcd screens it was time to move on. It was the only camera I ever had where my clients complemented me on how nice the colors looked. Then I got a xh-a1 and only got complemented on how sharp it was. :D
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2012, 06:52 AM   #4
Trustee

What is DVX?
:0)
Old October 12th, 2016, 07:37 AM   #5
Major Player

I still have my DVX100B.

I had been keeping it because there was minidv footage that I had yet to digitize-mostly family stuff-and thought I would use the dvx100b as the play deck.

I hadn't touched this camera in probably 18-24 months.

Battery charged right up.
Camera powered right up.

Started playing with settings and surprised how everything just came back to me.

I ran a new tape cleaner over the heads.

I actually thought about shooting something SD/16x9 and wondered if anyone would REALLY notice.

The DVX100 made a lovely image.

Be well.

Rob
Rob Katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2016, 09:12 AM   #6
Wrangler

No DVX experience, but I'm working on a documentary using 18 hours of SD 4:3 footage I shot 15 years ago on a Sony VX-2000. I had forgotten just how good those old cameras were. In the relentless race to the next big thing, we often don't take enough time to look back. Showed some of the footage to a friend who used to work in upper management at one of the largest PBS stations and his first comment was "the quality is amazing".

Was always impressed with the DVX, but by the time it came along I was too deep into the Sony world to make a change. I wouldn't go back to shooting SD today, but full quality DV often looks better to me than the over-compressed HD that we have gotten used to. And for my project, it's the subject matter that's important, not the video format.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2016, 09:43 AM   #7
Major Player

Boyd-

I was a fan of the PD150/170/VX2000 before I got the DVX100B.

Next is often better but good footage is good footage.

I look forward to reading updates about your project.

Be well.

Rob
Smalltalk.Productions
Rob Katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2016, 02:44 PM   #8
Major Player

(And for my project, it's the subject matter that's important, not the video format). Glad to hear that Boyd I have had quite a few of the so called top end cameras and regret been lured in by all the hype that comes out when a new camera comes plus the money I have lost that now I only have the Canon XH A1s hd tape camera and have found that the pictures coming from it in good light are beautiful, We are so quick to ditch these old cameras and just playing in to the camera makers hands.
Old October 12th, 2016, 02:59 PM   #9
Inner Circle

I had a sony vx2100 and a dvx100b and both had their strength/weaknesses, on my dvx I liked the colors the most but I never would go back using a SD camera, it's the difference in resolution that is hugh, especially when you shot letterboxed 16:9 on a 4:3 camera, I have some great memories using my old camera's but I don't regret using newer technology.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2016, 10:12 AM   #10
Regular Crew

I think their is a place for all cameras of all ages, just depends on what you like as a camera operator and what your project needs. I've owned 3 DVXs in my time (all models) and the origional DVX100 I think was the best image wise.. the 100A feature wise. I work and own a Varicam package from the mid 00s and it does it's job and even competes with today's cameras when I use the PRO35 adapter and my PL glass. Older gear is still relevant depending on it's use I think.. nothing wrong with the DVX or any other SD DV camera for that matter.. at the end of the day, a camera is just a tool.
Old October 14th, 2016, 10:47 AM   #11
Major Player

My DVX100a is alive and doing quite well, thank you. :)
I still use it on a regular basis in squeeze mode for web projects. It's particularly kind to aging talent in interview situations where I don't want an overly filtered look.
Intercuts well with HD in a 2 camera setup where the wide camera needs the extra resolution.
Used it just the other night in such a manner with a friend's Canon XA10 (Canon for wide shot of stage and audience, DVX for closer stuff...same distance from stage).
DVX is, of course, better in low light. I lit to a 2.8 stop (30p 1/60th on both cameras). DVX was at 0 gain, XA10 needed 12db for equal exposure...so a 2 stop difference.

When edited on a 1280x720 30p timeline and output to a high (ish) bitrate MP4 for the web, the results are very nice indeed. Would the images match as well using a larger sensor HD camera like the Canon C300, Sony FS7 or an old Varicam? Probably not, but for similar chip sizes, up to and including a Lumix GH2, the audience will almost never see a difference with well shot footage.
Just my .02.
Ken
Ken Plotin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant