DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/)
-   -   Advice on upgrade from DVC32 to DVX100AE (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/51651-advice-upgrade-dvc32-dvx100ae.html)

Joe Tay September 24th, 2005 02:12 AM

Advice on upgrade from DVC32 to DVX100AE

Hi,
I am planning to upgrade from DVC32 to DVX100. Currently I have the full setup for the DVC 32, extra battery, condenser mike and the XLR module orignally from Panasonic. I paid almost $2700 for the whole package.

I have the following questions:

1. Should I upgrade now because of HD? And DVX100 is not HD
2.How much should I sell the package for which is reasonable? I have a buyer and he say quote the price.
3. Will it be fair to keep the extra battery and mike and ask my buyer to purchase the rest?

I do live event video, documentary and short films. Thanks

Joe

Gary Moses September 24th, 2005 08:24 AM

Joe,
You didn't say why you wanted to upgrade to a dvx100 or HD. Do you have a specific application or change in needs?
Gary

Joe Tay September 24th, 2005 09:42 AM

I am tempted to go HD, but not too sure if that is the right path, but if I do I will probably go with the Sony FX1... otherwise probably selling the DVC32 to get the DVX

Joe Tay September 24th, 2005 09:44 AM

The reason for the upgrade is because I like to shoot low light and shooting in 24P for the film like effect. Do you it is worth the upgrade or shall I stick with what I have.

I am kind of inspired by the CSI series..

Joe

Gary Moses September 24th, 2005 02:39 PM

Joe,
I chose the DVX100a based on the Leica lens not because of the 24p. I really thought it was just an "effect" nothing seroius.
What a surprise to find out what it can do.

I come from a history of BetaSP and Sony DXC535's, I have owned an advertising agency for almost 30 years now and I produce TV commercials and Long form video.

As far as low light capabilities, in my opinion, no camera does well in low light and the difference between 3lux,2lux or 10lux is just silly. It's light and light only that makes a good aquisition. Put some money into a lighting system that you can use instead of depending on a camera to produce good quality in a low light situation. I've never been sorry for the DVX's capabilities (in any situation) and I've had it almost a year and a half.

As far as HD is concerned the only people considering HD are the the "leading edge" type people and not the general consumer. Until a consensus is reached on a universal format, it will remain floating like it has been and then it will be a long time before general public usage will occur (if it ever will). By that time something new will be introduced and your Sony camera will be outdated.

One final note. Although the 24p is an incredible feature and you can get a film look right out of the box, learning how to light like a cinematographer is really were its at. That seperates the hobbyist from the pro.
Gary

Joe Tay September 25th, 2005 06:31 AM

Thanks for advice

Hi,
So are you saying that using my DVC32 I could similar get good video based on the lighting situation. I am keen on the DVX and will the camera feature will me to achieve good cinematography if I am in a more tricky lighting than the DVC32 would in the same situation. I am more incline towards filming outdoors than studio filming with artificial lighting.
Any advice on what is the first purchase of a good lighting set which could be mobile. Thanks.

Joe

Gary Moses September 26th, 2005 05:22 AM

Joe,
Actually Yes and No.
Yes you can get great looking video from your exisitng camera by learning and using better lighting techniques and equipment. A good experiment would be to set up your 3 chip camera next to the cheapest and crapiest vhs camcorder your find. Take shots on the 3chip in low light or no light. Now light it properly and shoot with the vhs camcorder. You will quickly see my point.

As far as the DVX is concerned, there is nothing and I mean nothing like the look of the DVX in the 24p cine mode.

My point was that even though the DVX is incredible "out of the box" when you apply film lighting techniques and keep within the lighting and contrast limitations of video, your results will be spectactular.

As far as you getting a new camera, my feeling is the DVX100a is a really great all around camera from lens, to better wide angle, 60i, 30fps, 24ps and the ability to adjust all of the things you need in a shooting situation.
Is it perfect? or does it have everything? You know the answer to that.
For $3500.00 it will give you what you want for a long time, especially if you take the time to really learn the camera and its abilities.
Gary