DVX100b Focus Ring Not Smooth at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old February 26th, 2014, 04:14 PM   #1
Major Player

DVX100b Focus Ring Not Smooth

I just picked up a dvx100b on eBay in like new condition, but the focus ring is not smooth and is rather hard to turn. It's almost impossible to smoothly manually focus with my just my finger. The seller claims that this is normal and consistent with these cameras.

I shot a documentary for a year where I used the Sony EX1R exclusively, so maybe I'm use to the smoothness of the Sony. I could do very micro adjustments to the focus ring on the Sony with just the tip of my finger. Is the dvx100 focus ring not as easy / smooth to adjust as other cameras?
Oliver Darden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2014, 10:33 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: DVX100b Focus Ring Not Smooth

This is definitely NOT normal in the DVX. I can easily "pop into focus" with the tip of my finger on my 100A.
The focus ring is hardly damped at all and should give smooth "grit free" operation.
If it is hard to turn, it may be damaged or mis-aligned internally. Sometimes it doesn't take much of hit to mess up these...not the sturdiest part of this camera.
There are threads on several sites detailing focus ring assemblies that have broken off and been put back together by the owners. Some as good as new.

If it looks like new, what kind of use did it have, if you don't mind my asking?

Ken
Ken Plotin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2014, 11:15 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the reply. The camera was used with a "Camplex Multiplexing System" exclusively in a television studio (never outside etc), and an external switcher and recorder were used so the tape heads were not used at all.

Would you happen to have a link to one of these sites where the owners have repaired the ring?
Oliver Darden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 03:42 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I have had a dvx100b as well and also can say the focus ring was buttery smooth and very accurate, so the behavior you are describing is not normal.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 12:18 PM   #5
Major Player

Sounds like someone smacked the lens ring into the proverbial "Immovable object" in that studio.

Don't have any links to those threads, but a search for "DVX lens damage" or similar should yield results.

Ken
Ken Plotin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant