DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/)
-   -   AG-DVX100a for weddings? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/52222-ag-dvx100a-weddings.html)

Darin Holiday October 4th, 2005 02:33 PM

AG-DVX100a for weddings?

Does anybody here shoot weddings with the DVX100a? I am considering purchasing 3 of them for wedding video productions. I would like feedback from somebody that currently uses only DVX100a cameras for weddings.

How is the low light?

How is the auto focus?

Thanx!

Darin Holiday October 4th, 2005 03:50 PM

AG-DVX100a for weddings?

Anybody use the AG-DVX100a for weddings? I would like comments from those of you that actually use this camera and only this camera for weddings.

Should I buy this camera for weddings?

Thank you!

Dante Waters October 4th, 2005 05:30 PM

Darin,

The DVX100a (also called the 24p) is an excellent camera it has tons of manual controls The short answer to your question is yes that camera will capture some excellent shots and work for you. However if you'd like to save a few dollars and get the a PD150 or VX2100 instead it would be in your best intrest. Those 2 cams are excellent in low light the 24p isn't bad but just not as good in low light as these others.

Also using it for weddings would not harnest its true potential, I mean it's made for movies... The media use it along side the XL2/XL1/Betacams I mean it looks like film. Don't take my word though research.

Jason Magbanua October 4th, 2005 06:49 PM

From someone who has the GL1, GL2, XL1s, VX2100, FX1 and DVX100, I can honestly say that the Panasonic captures the best images. The manual control of the camera is unparalleled. Low light has never been an issue for me as we light up ceremonies and receptions.

It's a good time to get the cam too because of the rebates.

Cheers

Mathew Evan October 5th, 2005 10:30 PM

It's an interesting time for the DVX right now. The 100B model is set to be released this month which includes some tweaks that you can read all about over on DVXuser. The most interesting tweak in the DSP. The DVX sees ok in low light but when you gain up the picture gets noisy. The B model's improved DSP is supposed to clean things up.

If you're planning on buying 3 then I would say pick up a 100a model since there is a $500 rebate and you get some free goodies. If you like it then buy the 100b model when it's released. Even if you don't like the 100a then you can probably sell it in a few months for close to what you paid for it as it's a close out model and the B rev. won't have the same rebates.

Overall it's a very nice camera.

Derek Harkins October 6th, 2005 02:33 PM

Darin,
I own a DVX100a as well and use it only for wedding and event videography. As stated in the last post the cam is great to use as far as being able to get the image you are looking for. The only thing I have not done with my dvx is use it to make me a snack when I am hungry but I am sure that there is a button for that somewhere on the cam....LOL Anyway You get allot of features on this cam but do your reaserch and I mean find some place you can hold it, look into the eye piece etc. as what features I like may be or may not be what you like. In short teh lens on the DVX takes a great wide angle shot out of the box and this cam allows you to do shallow depth of field without even knowing what you are doing..... Great for the interviews. Its a big decision so -Best

Peter Jefferson October 6th, 2005 03:55 PM

i use 2 of these and have not had an issue, in fact im extremely pleased... i also fnd that the cams tweakability is far more advanced than the Z1, PD170, and its form factor is far more compact (obviouisly) than the XL2

Darin Holiday October 6th, 2005 07:18 PM

Glad to hear that.

I'm glad to hear that. I just oredered 3 of them. Thanks for the input!

Daniel Runyon October 6th, 2005 09:00 PM

I use the DVX for everything I do, including weddings. I've only had one situation where the light was so low I had a hard time getting good images, but it was an outdoor reception with almost no light. The video still came out great as far as the story telling of the wedding movie goes, and the couple are seriously thrilled with it. I would suggest having an on cam light handy, but I really don't like to use one unless there is just no choice.

I think "the film look" is very appropriette for wedding work. I have people tripping out that it doesnt look like a "home video" all the time. I even let the dude that was cancelling my old AOL account take a look at my wedding samples and he was raving about not believing it was video. People do repond to that, and it adds greatly to their surprise when they see it, having been looking forward to a home video while youve been editing.

Darin Holiday October 7th, 2005 04:37 PM

I went with the AG-DVX100a's

I just received the cameras today. They are amazing! I am so glad I chose this camera. It was a very hard decision for me to make. Thanks for all the input.

Darin Holiday October 7th, 2005 04:39 PM

I went with the AG-DVX100a's

I am so glad I decided to buy these cameras. They are amazing! This is the best mini DV camera that I have ever used. Thanx for all the advice and input!

Pete Bauer October 7th, 2005 10:35 PM

Moderator Note:

If there seems to be repetition and redundancy in this thread up to present, it is because I merged an essentially identical (cross-posted) thread from the Wedding/Event Videography forum into this one. We usually remove extra copies of cross-posted threads, but both of these threads had several replies by the time I saw them. So I merged them rather than lose replies by other members. Here's a gentle reminder to abide by DVi POLICY.

Best wishes and enjoy your new cameras!