Panasonic UX90 & UX180 Q&A - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old May 6th, 2017, 07:22 AM   #91
Inner Circle

Re: Panasonic UX90 & UX180 Q&A

I think it may be a Panasonic issue as the my new GH5 is the same though all my Sony's allow access to the menu while recording even in UHD 60P for the FDR-AX1 , or UHD 30P for the AX53 or AX100 , the older NX5U gives full access to change the gain settings for the switch for example while recording and it can also do a focus expand in the LCD to check focus too while recording. I expect it is a lack of processing power.
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2017, 09:06 PM   #92
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Anderegg View Post
I want to have fun with that last post, but I will be kind.

It is not a malfunction, you are just literally CLOSING the iris completely, ALL real cameras do this. Professional B4 broadcast lenses actually have the letter C on them to indicate CLOSED. You should not be operating the camera close to totally closed iris, that is what the neutral density filter switch is for. You want to keep the iris wide open to maybe f5.6 for the sharpest picture, if you iris down too much, the light will bend through the tiny iris opening in such a way as to cause lens diffraction.

Now learn how to use your new camera. :-)

https://fstoppers.com/studio/fstoppe...on-happen-6022

Paul
It would be nice to disable though as when I'm filming a theatrical show that ranges within minutes from insane bright lights to literally being lit by a candle...it's hard to activate and deactivate the nd filter. And as depending on the level of zoom it can close at 10...or 11...

At least it was in my 160, which I'm looking to replace with the ux100

Does the ux100 handle the transition from nd to needing gain more smoothly?
Jonathan Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2017, 04:42 AM   #93
Inner Circle

I didn't feel like explaining to someone who hasn't filmed theatrical performance what it's like. I've since talked to other people and their response was yeah Panasonic does that for some reason.

There's a lot head scratchers with Panasonic. There should be some sort of indicator like the fstop blinks when you reach the last stop or you should be able to disable it in the menu.

As far as the ND filters I can't say if it's smoother than your camera. There isn't any sort of ramping in this camera. There are four position but there's no hiding when you flip on a nd filter while recording.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2017, 08:00 AM   #94
New Boot

Yes, it would be nice to have a blinking warning 'beyond this point there be blackout" notice. Also having the ND filter control either a switch or a button like the gain (so you could easily switch it to a level or disable it vs, reaching around to the front to turn a dial as it is on the 160...which I will have to look at on the ux180)

But nothing is perfect.

It seems you use the ux180 similar to how I would be (filming theatrical events). I'm looking to replace my three 160s with it. Actually had the sales person talk me out saying I'd see little difference. But it seems that between the wider lens, the enhanced stabilization and the 4K giving me more image space to use for editing down to 1080, it would give me a significant quality increase (and that's before I factor in the higher recording bitrate).

The thing I love about the 160s is how forgiving the focus/depth is and I can have people crossing downstage and it will remain reasonably in focus. Is the 180 similar? Does it being 4K mean focus has to be more on the nose, or if the light/aperture is in a decent sweet spot, will the depth be similarly forgiving?
Jonathan Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2017, 01:34 PM   #95
Trustee

Is there a way to change the gain scroll to advance faster than 1db increments?

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2017, 06:09 AM   #96
Regular Crew

Just got an HC-X1 which is the same camera as the UX180 without SDI. Finally got the AG-ROP wifi app working, except when I try to switch from camera mode to thumbnail mode, I get a connection error. Since the other functions (record start/stop, iris, etc) are all working, any idea what might cause this glitch?
Thanks,
Len
Len Rosenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2017, 01:06 PM   #97
Regular Crew

To owners of HC X 1. How 'bad' is the lag I have heard about on the LCD when recording in 4K? If it is even an issue.

Ian
Ian Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2018, 01:54 PM   #98
Regular Crew

Re: Panasonic UX180 and Sony NX5R cameras

I've been using NX5U since it first came out. I am currently investigating buying new cameras where I could provide customers with recorded video being uploaded onto their mobile phone (iPhone, Samsung, Pixel). I've been doing this for many years now and customers and just love it.

I am currently looking at the Sony NX5R and the Panasonic UX-180.

I do not need to create 4k files and will take a long time before I do. However, the Panasonic seems to create mp4 files which can be uploaded onto a mobile phone without any problems.

The Sony has ftp and streaming capabilities which after investigation I may use. The NX5R create h.264/mp4 files but I am not sure those could be uploaded onto iPhone, Pixel....

I need 20x zoom, LANC capabilities and h.264/mp4 videos recorded at 1080/60p.

For shows, I've been using AVCHD at 720p and users just love it. I would then used whatever best format the camera I select to create year end shows.

Unfortunately, I do not have any of those two cameras with me. I need to test if mp4 files created from those camera could be uploaded onto my iPhone.

I would appreciate if someone could provide me with a three minutes clip from each of those two camera. Panning and zooming cars coming by would allow me to know better about those cameras.

Thanks for your help!

Best regards!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant