Noisy 100B at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old December 14th, 2005, 10:26 PM   #1
Tourist

Noisy 100B

Has anyone noticed the amount of noice generated by the 100b ?
or is it will all the 100 models ? I just bought 2 cameras and they both
have a noisy signal path (generated by the camera) and it records onto the tape. At first I thought it was the crappy headphone output, but I could hear the noise on a studio playback deck as well.
Dan Eriksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2005, 09:46 PM   #2
Regular Crew

The 100a has a documented "flaw" of a noisy (hiss) headphone output but it does not go to tape. You SHOULD be able to get crystal clear audio recordings with the DVX - and I wouldn't expect the 100b to take a step backwards in that department. I would look at the microphone and check the "Mic Gain 1 & 2" settings in the menu.
Preston Herrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2005, 07:21 PM   #3
Tourist

100B Noise

I'm sorry, but I forgot to mention that we were using line level input with pro-audio mixers and mics - the same stuff we shoot films, HD, and Betacam with. I've used other little cams in the past and only heard the noise while listening through the cheap headphone circuit, but this time it actually records onto tape with the noise. We played back some tapes in a studio deck and heard the same noises.
Old December 17th, 2005, 10:12 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Never tried the inputs at line level. Have you tried plugging a mic directly into the cam to see what the results are? And exactly what kind of noise are you getting?
Preston Herrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2005, 12:07 AM   #5
Inner Circle

i do line level recording when im shooting stage shows, seminars, and mabye a gig here and there (connected through the mixing consoles line output, (basically the same signal going to the amp... ) NOT monitor out, as most ppl seem to think.. ) Most consoles have a dual line output.. others have record outs...
Another option is to get RCA to XLR cables made, and use the RECORD out from the console.. this ensures a flat output response, Most of the time, rca fed "record outs" usually bypass the consoles FX and EQ Busses (apart from the individual line level EQ)

also (i know this might sound dumb) but be sure to switch the mic input to line..
another thing, ensure AGC is OFF...
Drop your audio levels to about -6 to -12 (4 to 4 nitches on the cam) and ensure that its not the mixer thats generating this noise.. i know you mentioned that your other cams dont have this noise issue, but to be honest with you, and from the cams ive used and sold (From DSR570's through to Z1's (yeah im an old sony man whos jumped ship... lol ) the DVX would have to have the highest sensitivity and the cleaning SR ratio ive ever come across.. i shit u not...

I am yet to have a probelm with this camera, one of the main reasons i went for it (apart from its immaculate glass, form factor, huge LCD, true progressive, the ability to set up a shots WB, expose and focus in less than 7 seconds is what wont me over.. i cant be as "run and gun" with any other camera... ) but even with that and the environments i shoot, the super clean audio is still perfect no matter what i do...
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 09:22 PM   #6
Tourist

100b Audio Noise

Sorry its been a while since ive checked the board,
But on another message board a user also complained about the noise that I can hear. It's an electronic clicking sound that seems to coincide with the tape transport mechanics (video drum recording heads striking the tape 2x per revolution) its a little hissy & clicky !
I guess i'll have to call panasonic, because nobody else here seems to know what it is, or can hear it - maybe its something defective that has to be recalled? to test for the problem, dont hook up any audio - no mics, no line, nothing, just record black and play it back. turn up the headphones and you can hear the hissy, noisy, clicking sound. Let me know what you guys find out. Maybe its just a bad batch, but I bought 2 cameras from 2 different stores and they both have the problem.
Old March 3rd, 2006, 09:38 AM   #7
Inner Circle

if u record nothing capture, then import, do u see any fluctuating waveforms?
can u SEE the noise?

if not, most likely its your monitoring method generating noise, i know the DVX100a headfone socket got a boost in volume from the 100, and this is noticable with noise, but this is just the headset preamp, and it to be expected.

with regard to defect, u could have an earthing issue within the camera XLR connections causing that distortion, well not actually CAUSING the distortion, moreso allowing u to hear the power fluctuation...
but as u mentioned u can hear a rythmic pattern based on camera activity, i would say that its an earthing problem causing noise from power fluctuations within the unit itself..
When the camera is in line mode, it acts like a different beast than that of when its in mic mode. Be aware that line feeds can be overdriven quite easily

Im no expert, but from here id say take it back with evidence of the problem and dont waste anymore time else youre warranty will wear out..
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2006, 08:55 AM   #8
Regular Crew

camera noise.

All video cameras have a slight amount of noise simply because they have a motor and no blimp. It can only be picked up by the on camera mike when the anbience is very quiet. Solution... remove the mike off the camera and problem solved. Also when the camera audio is set to auto the problem can be even worse. some cameras are louder than others.
Winston Vargas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2006, 10:16 AM   #9
Major Player

Dan,
That "click" noise problem has been mentioned before on one of the forums.
I seem to recall that it had to do with head alignment. If your cameras are new, I'd take them back...might just be a QC issue with that batch. The click part of that noise isn't normal.
Hope this helps.
Ken
Ken Plotin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant