Gain question for the DVX-100A at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old December 22nd, 2005, 09:59 PM   #1
Major Player

Gain question for the DVX-100A

I recently moved up to a DVX-100A and have used it for several events with good success. I have the guide book on order, but wondered if someone could comment on signal noise increases which may occur when using the 6 db gain up setting ? So far, to my eye, there seems to be very little signal degradation at the 6 db up setting.
Mark Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2005, 04:33 AM   #2
Inner Circle

when shooting progressive, the noise level IS a lil noticable.. however u can alleviate this with a proper shutter settings

+6 isnt that noisy to the naked eye, but when watchig it on an LCD (not plasma) you can see the noise...
+12 is considerabley noisier, but as bad is sounds..
in all its far cleaner than the XL cams, a lil noiser than the PD's but colour gradation doesnt suffer as much with the Pana compared to the others

Dont bother with +18... im surprised they didnt throw in a +15 thoug considering every other Pana cam has gain in that range...

personally id like a gain Dial, whereby i can switch the gain in increments of 1 stop, or individual + gain settings.. i might only need a +2 gain increase, or a +8... sure u can manage this with dropping the iris with a higher gain, but the noise is still there...
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2005, 02:56 AM   #3
Trustee

The 100A is already pretty noisy, even with NO gain... adding +6db doesnt make it too much worse and wont be noticed by most....

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2006, 10:18 AM   #4
Major Player

I don't personally find the DVX to be as noisy as most. But for those that do, the 100A and 100B offer the ability to adjust the CORING. By pushing the coring up, the signal will lose most, if not all of the noise that people find abjectionable. However, beware that the coring also effects the compression in the blacks. So don't push the coring too far if you're shooting a scene with a lot of black in it, or you could end up with objectionable compression arifacts.

Regardless, gain is gain. The coring won't change that...
Jon Fordham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2006, 05:07 PM   #5
Inner Circle

the 100 (not the A or B) is actually MUCH cleaner than the newer models.. i dunno if teh the RGB processor or what but coring does help.. i woudlnt go over 5 though..
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2006, 12:26 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Jefferson
the 100 (not the A or B) is actually MUCH cleaner than the newer models.. i dunno if teh the RGB processor or what but coring does help.. i woudlnt go over 5 though..
I think it was Jan that said that the dvxa came because they had to discontinue the use of the original dvx dsp (or was it the ccd's?) because they came from a different manufacturer, so they redesigned it. That brought us the dvx100a, with the extra noise and, in my view, inferior picture quality. Better functionality, tough, with more cinegammas, slow shutters and beter calibrated zoom.

This is the reason I'm always asking for the noise level on the HVX! Is it on the level of the original dvx, or at the level of a dvx100a? Original dvx noise level- Acceptable. Dvx100a- NOT Acceptable, at least for broadcast, in my view. The XL2 is nowhere as noisy as the dvx100a. And detail coring lowers the picture definition, so it is not an option.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant