DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/)
-   -   Remote Focus (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/5827-remote-focus.html)

Taro Beckwith January 5th, 2003 12:50 PM

Remote Focus

Does anyone know if there is/will be a remote focus for the DVX100? It would be useful when using with a steadicam, jib, or any other situation where access to the focus ring is limited.

Chris Hurd January 6th, 2003 12:24 AM

Remote focus on the DVX100 is not possible through the camera's aux. remote jack (where a VariZoom or other lens controller would plug into). Any remote focus solution will have to be of an external, mechanical nature.

Also, I'm trying to get everyone who's still posting under a handle to supply me with their real name and location, as we now prohibit anonymity. Please respond. Thanks,

Jaime Valles January 17th, 2003 09:53 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Hurd : Remote focus on the DVX100 is not possible through the camera's aux. remote jack (where a VariZoom or other lens controller would plug into). Any remote focus solution will have to be of an external, mechanical nature. -->>>

Where can one get an external, mechanical focus controller?

Jaime Valles

Jeff Donald January 17th, 2003 10:22 AM

You might check with CineTech to see if they have one available yet. If they don't I would expect some by NAB in April.

Jeff

Jaime Valles January 17th, 2003 10:56 AM

Well, they have this:

Universal Follow Focus Bottom Mount
(includes one AR04 and focus rod with knob) $1675.00

I wonder if that would work...

Sheesh, that's really expensive. Anyone have any low cost ideas for remote focus for the DVX100? Anyone? Bueller?

Let's hope NAB brings some cool stuff our way...

Jaime Valles

Chris Hurd January 17th, 2003 07:42 PM

VariZoom produces an external focus controller for the Canon XL1 16x manual zoom lens:

http://www.varizoom.com/pages/xl1_setup.htm

...perhaps VariZoom can be persuaded to adapt it over to the DVX100. Cost for the existing unit is $500, which is much lower than comparable alternatives.

Skip Hunt January 17th, 2003 10:21 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Hurd : VariZoom produces an external focus controller for the Canon XL1 16x manual zoom lens:

http://www.varizoom.com/pages/xl1_setup.htm

...perhaps VariZoom can be persuaded to adapt it over to the DVX100. Cost for the existing unit is $500, which is much lower than comparable alternatives. -->>>

Is the barrel size the same as the 16x? Is it adjustable at all? Has anyone tried to see if the exhisting controller might in fact already work with a DVX?

Skip Hunt

Jeff Donald January 17th, 2003 10:48 PM

At the very least it would take a different set of gears.

Jeff

Jaime Valles January 23rd, 2003 12:09 PM

I just spoke with the folks at Varizoom, and they said flat out that remote focus on the DVX100 is not possible. I of course said that they should build one like they did for the XL1 manual lens. How do we get them to do that?

Also, does anyone else have any other suggestions for remote focus on the DVX100? This is a big issue when shooting in 24p because I can't mount the camera on a Jib arm and control the focus as I'm moving the jib.

The only thing I can think of is a variant of the "string" idea that Adam Wilt had for zoom controlling:

http://www.adamwilt.com/24p/index.html#HandlingTheZoom

If you attatch the string to the focus ring, and make the loop long enough, you can probably use it to control the focus. Especially if you put markings on the string to tell you when to stop pulling in one direction. It's complicated, and requires rehearsal, but for filmmaking purposes it just might work.

Ideas? Feedback?

Jaime

Brandt Wilson January 24th, 2003 05:04 PM

Follow focus resource

Another resource for this may be Les Bosher.
les@lesbosher.co.uk

He build a lot of lens adapters and matte box mounts for motion picture equipment, and has built a rails system for the XL1. My suspicion is that, if we provided him with specs, he could build a lens mountable turning gear with a mated gear on a rails system. To that you could attach any kind of motor or whip.

You could even use an o-ring or rubber belt strung between the lens barrel and a rails attached controller. Low tech, but it would work, and perhaps a bit more easily than string and duct tape, even though I'm all about duct tape!

Jaime Valles January 31st, 2003 09:08 AM

THERE IS A SOLUTION!!!!!!!

Yesterday I went to the NY DV show and spoke with Steve Golub, from Panasonic, who was very friendly and helpful. I asked him about a remote focus unit for the DVX100, and he said that he thought Varizoom was working on it.

Then I went over to the Varizoom booth, and spoke with Tom Smith, one of their reps. Very nice guy. He said that Varizoom is definitely working on a remote focus mechanism (external) for the Panny 24p, and that it should be ready "within a month or two". He said they're trying to make it as inexpensive as possible, because "Who would want to buy a $1000 accessory for a $3000 camera?". It would most likely be in the $500 price range, similar to the one they have for the XL1s Manual lens.

He also said they were toying with the idea of combining the focus unit with a zoom control unit that would allow for super-slow zooms! This, however, is not concrete, yet.

So, there we have it! Within a couple of months we should have remote focusing capabilities for the DVX100!!!!

Charles Papert January 31st, 2003 10:13 AM

At NAB last year when the DVX100 was just a wood mockup, I spoke to Golub about this issue, since I had noticed that the lens didn't have gearing for use with existing follow-focus devices. He made some excuse about manufacturing cost, but after pressing him he told me that if anyone was serious about pulling focus they should step up to their next model camera, which is well into the five figures.

Tim Otholt February 4th, 2003 09:01 PM

Pulling Focus For The Seriously Rich

"anyone serious about pulling focus they should step up to their next model camera"

I'm serious about pulling focus, I'm just not seriously rich.

Tim