B&W on dvx100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old January 16th, 2006, 05:02 PM   #1
Regular Crew

B&W on dvx100

Does anyone have any links to B&W footage shot on DVX100?

I'm shooting a Film Noir with the camera. I would like to see what others have achieved
Kris Galuska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2006, 05:44 PM   #2
Major Player

shoot color and in post flatten it in CC....i'm sure thats the advice everyone will tell you.

have fun
Saturnin Kondratiew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2006, 06:52 PM   #3
Regular Crew

That is the best method, especially since I will leave some color in.

I was just looking for examples others have done. I want to see how far they push the camera.

Anyone have any clips?
Kris Galuska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2006, 05:35 PM   #4
Major Player

Kris,

I have shot a number of black and white projects on the DVX. Unfortunately, none of them are available on the web. But here is my advice...

First of all, I 100% disagree that shooting color and pulling it out in post is the best method. However, the DVX doesn't allow you to pull the color completely out in the camera. So you're stuck working that way.

Second, if you are working with the updated DVX A or B models, go into the menu and select 6. DISPLAY SETUP, then scroll all the way down to page 3 and select EVF COLOR OFF. This will switch the viewfinder to black and white. It will not effect the LCD. This way you can have a color image on the LCD and a quick reference black and white image in the viewfinder.

I have found that I get superior black and white results by setting up the SCENE FILE menu as follows:

DETAIL LEVEL -4
V DTEIAL LEVEL -2
DETAIL CORING +2
CHROMA LEVEL -7
CHROMA PAHSE 0
COLOR TEMP 0
MASTER PED -12
A. IRIS LEVEL 0
GAMMA LOW
KNEE LOW
MATRIX NORM
SKIN TONE DTL OFF
V DETAIL FREQ THIN
PROGRESSIVE 24P

Lastly, I recommend over exposing the image by at least 1/2 a stop. Often times, over exposing a full stop will yield even better results. Basically the above settings will crush your blacks and pull the color down. By over exposing, you push the highlights to pure white. Since the color will be pulled out of the image resulting in black and white, don't sweat the highlights blowing out. In fact, purposely let those skin tones over expose.

This approach will result in a very clean, nicely contrasted, pure black and white image.

Of course, what will really sell the look is proper Film Noir lighting...
Jon Fordham is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant