DVX100: sloppy shotgun mic mount? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old January 29th, 2006, 10:15 AM   #1
Regular Crew

DVX100: sloppy shotgun mic mount?

Greetings,

I recently upgraded to a DVX100b (*woot*) and I mounted an Audio Technica AT897 shotgun mic and it's really loose in the holder. I guess I just wanted to know if this is normal or if there is anything I should do to stablize it further or leave it alone. I do not think the rubber grips inside the clamp will allow the mic to slip out -- but I wanted to be sure I wasn't missing anything.

Regards,
-Michael
Michael McGruder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2006, 08:41 PM   #2
Tourist

Congratulations on your new camera. Now this is just my total assumption, but my azden sgm1x is also sloppy in the 100a's mic holder, I'm guessing they made the mic holder to fit their pana brand mic that might have a slightly more robust barrel. No clue I gave up trying to use the mic holder on the camera as on pans it bounces around with the play. Good luck and enjoy!
Drew Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2006, 11:10 PM   #3
Major Player

It's Panny's cheap version of a shock mount. The gel stops vibrations from the camera from getting into the mic.

I'm going to get shot down for saying this, but I think it works pretty well. Most professional "shock mounts" are much more expensive and not that much more secure. (But they will provide much better shock protection, if you need it.) Definitely don't sweat it.
Matthew Wauhkonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 01:47 PM   #4
Regular Crew

yea my new DVX100B also is like that, but it works great...
Max Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2006, 10:13 PM   #5
Major Player

I personally dont care for the mic mount but it does make a nice clamp for a small flashlight when thats your only light resource :)
Matt Stahley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 06:42 AM   #6
Major Player

With my Sennheiser ME66, the holder was too loose. Just thicken the mic with tape or foam. On the other hand, my Beyer Dynamic MCE86 II is fatter then the Sennheiser, and it fits like a charm. My guess is, it's better to have a larger mic holder for those kind of mics, then the other way around.
Frederic Segard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 08:02 PM   #7
Specialized Communications

I noticed that the MIC mount on the DVX100B was different than the one that was available for the DVX100A.

The one for 100A was solid gel. The one for the 100B is divided gel strips. The only logical reason for this was fewer surfaces touching the MIC. But as a side-affect, you have less support. I will have to check to see if the originals are still available or if they are substituting the old MIC mount part number with the new one. I think I have one of the 100A MIC holders in stock though.

Best regards,

Andrew Hoffman
Senior Operations Manager
Specialized Communications Corp.
20940 Twin Springs Drive
Hagerstown MD, 21783
www.spec-comm.com
1-800-359-1858
Andrew Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2006, 12:26 AM   #8
Major Player

Hey Andrew! Wow I had no idea I had a service center so close to home!
Old February 9th, 2006, 10:48 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks!

Thanks to everyone that replied here -- and I followed the advice from Brian at Zotz that mirrored what Frederic mentioned above and it worked out great! I took a small thin piece of packing foam (roughly 2 inch by 6 inch and about 1/4 of an inch thick) and wrapped it several times around the collar of the mic and then placed it back into the holder (no tape). The mic was *much* more solid and I didn't get vibration noise on the recording.

On a side note, I recently took the camera out for a spin to catch some incredibly vibrant sunset footage on the far eastern plains of Colorado -- I was thrilled with the results and I was amazed at the clarity and quality of the picture. I'm still very much a newbie with this machine, but I am *very* pleased that I opted for this over some of the other units I was looking at.

Thanks again for the responses and I look forward to participating in this forum a bit more now that I'm a part of the DVX-owner club!

Do we get a special decoder ring when we join?? :)
Regards,
-Michael
Michael McGruder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2006, 07:49 PM   #10
Specialized Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Stahley
Hey Andrew! Wow I had no idea I had a service center so close to home!
Matt,

You're right around the corner! Why don't you come visit us sometime and I'll give you a tour of our facility. It goods to hear from the local DVX100 users.

Best regards,

Andrew Hoffman
Senior Operations Manager
Specialized Communications Corp.
20940 Twin Springs Drive
Hagerstown MD, 21783
www.spec-comm.com
1-800-359-1858
Andrew Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2006, 01:45 AM   #11
Major Player

Andrew
sounds like a plan!

matt
Old February 13th, 2006, 07:07 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederic Segard
With my Sennheiser ME66, the holder was too loose. Just thicken the mic with tape or foam. On the other hand, my Beyer Dynamic MCE86 II is fatter then the Sennheiser, and it fits like a charm. My guess is, it's better to have a larger mic holder for those kind of mics, then the other way around.
Really?? im running an ME64 with a K6 module and it fits liek a glove.. the only issue i have with it is that the screws periodocially come loose..
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant