Audio Sync issue addressed by Panasonic at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old January 10th, 2003, 03:50 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Audio Sync issue addressed by Panasonic

Here's Stuart English's comment:

http://2-pop.5thavehosting.com/cgi-bin/discussion/forums/panasonicAGDVX100camera.cgi?noframes;read=37154
Taro Beckwith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2003, 04:06 PM   #2
Outer Circle

So what he's saying is that there is no problem and no fix. Ha! I bet.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2003, 06:53 PM   #3
Warden

Well, there is a fix, but not on a camera at that price point. An audio delay is needed and that doesn't fit their pricing of the DVX100.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2003, 07:52 PM   #4
Major Player

Jeff,
I read through Stuart English's posting on 2-Pop about the "aduio sync" problem on the DVX100 and have a question. Stuart stated that the XL-1, and other cams, have the same problem (characteristic). Do you know if any XL-1s owners have reported the audio sync problem to the extent that the Panny DVX-100 owners have?

The message that they don't intend to do anything about it came through loud-and-clear. Wow. That is a real show-stopper for me.

Nick
Nick Kerpchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2003, 08:11 PM   #5
Warden

A couple of us are getting together this weekend to try to determine if the the delay is present on the Sony PD150 and Canon XL1S. We are also going to re-measure his DVX100 so that we can do an accurate comparison. I'll be posting the results here Monday or Tuesday as my schedule permits.

I've not heard the level of complaints about a sync delay in the XL1 as the DVX100. So, if it is present, it typically may fall with the 1 field delay that is visually difficult to notice. I believe the 1 field delay is present in all camcorders in this price range. His explanation makes perfect sense. But the figures I'm hearing and seeing are more like the DVX100 is 1.5 to 2 Frames out of sync (or 3 to 4 fields). It's not a terribly hard fix in post, you just slip the audio 2 frames.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2003, 10:07 PM   #6
Major Player

Jeff,
Thanks a million. Look forward to hearing what you find.

Nick
Nick Kerpchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2003, 10:32 AM   #7
Michael P

My tests have shown that capturing in 24pN and 24pA ,audio is 1 frame ahead.

My previous tests were captured in a 30 frame project so pulldown would push sync arounf an extra frame (or field) to get somewhere between 1 and 1.5.

All tests done in 24 frame projects have been consistent with 1 frame. Also considering that sync may fall somewhere between the "sync" frame and the previous frrame depending on velocity of the clap, this would put the sync issue at ~.5-1 frame ahead.

I don't consider this a huge issue at all as much of the film dailes that are synced in telecine display the same amount of precision.

There is also a cadence issue as to frame alignment and audio going between 24 and 30 - picture frame boundaries change whereas audio does not. So a clap falling exactly on an "A" frame will have a different audio to picture relationship than claps falling on other pulldown cadence frames.

I will update a white paper I wrote in this years ago to my website.

I have seen other posting where tests have been done with other cameras, I believe that true sync on all cameras is not exact and most will show some basic offset.

Michael

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant