How well does this camera white balance? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old January 12th, 2003, 05:51 PM   #1
Regular Crew

How well does this camera white balance?

My biggest gripe with my XL-1 is the difficulty in getting a decent manual white balance. The colors look real blue with my XL-1 if I just use a white or gray card and I have resorted to warm cards and blue and green gels to get close to the right look.

How easy is it to get the DVX-100 to get a good white balance?

Greg Matty
Greg Matty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2003, 06:14 PM   #2
Michael P

I have has no issues with white balance. There are settings to warm up or cool off the white balance if it is slightly off.

I have found my camera to be right on and I tested it on a waveform/vectorscope monitor as well.

Michael
Old January 13th, 2003, 12:00 AM   #3
New Boot

I also have found the white balance to be excellent. The DVX seems to nail it on every single occasion.

I really only need to adjust the settings manually if I want a certain off-colored look or if I am doing a specific shot that needs to hold a constant WB value.
Old January 13th, 2003, 05:33 AM   #4
Warden

Greg,

Not wanting to start a debate on cameras, but I would suggest that the WB on your XL1 needs an adjustment. I find my XL1 and XL1S WB fine (a little to the warm side). I've never had problems with the WB, be it manual or AWB. I've owned and shot with much more expensive cameras than XL1's and DVX100's and base by opinion on personal experience with the XL1 and those other cameras.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2003, 09:09 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Jeff,

You may be right but every time I send the camera in to have work done, I get the "we returned your camera to factory specifications" reply from Canon. It doesn't matter how detailed a description I send in or what samples I provide. Canon never seems to address the issue at hand. It seems a tech monkey opens up the camera and presses some sort of reset button and then sends the camera back to me. At this point, it doesn't really matter.

Greg Matty
Greg Matty is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant