DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/)
-   -   Dropped DVX100B -- recovery strategy? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/62597-dropped-dvx100b-recovery-strategy.html)

Ryan Spicer March 11th, 2006 11:18 AM

Dropped DVX100B -- recovery strategy?

I dropped a DVX-100B (belonging to my university) on a shoot this morning. The camera was on a tripod, and I was tethered to it by a shorter-than-usual headphone cable. I walked away from the camera, expecting to have about 8' of travel but only having 3', and, err, the camera came with me. It fell forward, onto the plastic light-shield, which thankfully absorbed most of the impact without breaking, then tipped sideways onto the mic mount, which snapped off. Initially, I thought I'd damaged the lens-train, as it was refusing to focus, but after power-cycling it once it appears to be functioning properly -- it records, it focuses, it zooms, etc.

So, my question is this: What can I do to evaluate the camera's functionality and spot potential trouble? The only obviously-broken piece is the mic mount, which I hope can be purchased relatively inexpensively (sources? B&H doesn't appear to carry one). What other trouble-spots should I make sure to evaluate? My professor will be livid in any case, and I'd like to take as many steps as possible to prove to myself that I won't be buying the school an entirely new DVX-100B before I face her on Monday.

-Ryan

Chris Hurd March 11th, 2006 11:32 AM

Ryan, there is only one option that is guaranteed to produce good results for you: send the camera immediately to the authorized Panasonic factory service center. I'll try to get that contact info and post it here for you, unless somebody else can beat me to it. You've got to get it in to Panasonic service right away. Good luck,

Ryan Spicer March 14th, 2006 04:00 PM

Part Number Assistance?

Chris,
Thanks for the information. I reported the damage to my professor and the media assistant/gear tech, and they decided to attempt to repair the cosmetic damage in house, since the internals appear to be in working order and we can't afford to lose one of the cameras at this point in the semester. I'm thinking a trip to service is probably warranted, but it isn't my call (and I'll admit I'm somewhat glad that I don't immediately have to pay for it).

So, the question: We don't have a repair manual for the DVX series. Panasonic wants $50 for it. It looks like the spare parts are all available inexpensively, but we don't know exactly which part numbers we need to order.

The damaged pieces are:

- the piece of plastic connecting the handle to the shotgun mic mount. It has two screw holes to connect to the handle (right between the handle zoom switch and the built-in mic) and two other screw holes to attach the bottom half of the shotgun mic mount.

- the focus ring assembly, specifically the ring that the lens shade twists onto, which sits inside and in front of the focus ring itself. The focus ring itself is fine, just several of the little tabs that the lens shade attaches to on that one inner piece that are damaged.

If anyone has this manual and would be able to help us out with the part numbers for these pieces, I'd appreciate it greatly. I realize that the best possible outcome would be to get it to a service center for a full checkover, but as a stopgap measure..

Cheers,
Ryan Spicer

Tim Hyten March 15th, 2006 10:56 AM

My camera took a fall very similar. About a year later, the cam would just shut off by itself. It got to the point where it wouldn't turn on anymore. I sent it to Spec Comm in MD and it turned out that I had knocked a connector loose. It was the wire that controlled the cameras power. It was barely connected, then over time became un-done. I forget how much it was to fix it, but I was grateful when it was done.