Audio for DVX100B at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old March 11th, 2006, 12:56 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Audio for DVX100B

I am trying to decide what audio to get for my DVX100B. I will be doing some travel shots picking up ambient sounds, and some one-on-one interviews with people on the street. I will be doing some recording of a speaker from a distance. And I will be doing some recording of two or three people talking from a fairly close distance such as an interview or discussion. I'd like to get an overall solution that is not too expensive.

My son has suggested using the internal mics for the travel shots, and getting a lavalier mic for the rest. (Probably using the internal mike for one-on-ones on the street). I would like one with XLR inputs.

1) Lavalier mics come UHF or VHF. Either would seem to have adequate range and VHF seem to be less expensive. Is the quality much different? I don't see a VHF with XLR.

2) My concern with using lavalier mics for a small group of people talking such as an interview or discussion is that I'd need 2 or 3 complete systems and that would get both expensive and unwieldy. Is there a good alternative for this?

Any specific mics you recommend for these situations that would give good quality audio balanced with reasonable cost?

Dale
Dale Lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2006, 10:22 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Dale,

Everyone will likely chime in on different opinions - so I'll throw my two cents worth.. Along with my DVX100b, I got a Senn. G2 100 UHF wireless mic system which I recently tested outside (and even around the side of a mountain) (Colorado native here) and the quality was very impressive.. In mild-moderate wind, the lav. mics worked great.. UHF (in my humble opinion) is the way to go.. I know others that say VHF will work if you don't have the funds for a UHF system - but I really like my Senn. unit.

For the answer to #2, in a group setting have you considered a boom-mic setup?? The Audio Technica AT897 I have seems to work pretty well even though I haven't really experimented much with it so far.. The big thing I like is how the DVX100b has control levels for each XLR input - so you can boost the sound when need be or scale it back... Very handy..

Good luck!
-Michael
Michael McGruder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2006, 01:42 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Michael,

My son seems to like Sennheiser as well. The photo on the B&H page seemed to show a cable with XLR inputs, but the description said 1/8" mini plug I believe. Does the G2 have XLR? There seem to be an Evolution G2 100 series which I was looking at, and a Body PK G2 which is about twice the price. Which one are you referring to?

Can you tell me on the AT897 about what effective range it has for picking up small groups talking with decent sound quality? What kind of circumstances would this sort of mic be appropriate for? Are you just running one input when you use it?

Thanks for your comments.

Dale
Old March 12th, 2006, 10:52 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Dale,

After looking at B&H, I think I have the: EW150ENGG2C model shown there. The G2ENG100 has a 1/8" to XLR as well as a 1/8" to 1/8" in the kit. Basically the 1/8" mini plug goes into the receiver and the XLR input goes into the DVX100. They include an extra 1/8" to 1/8" in case you were plugging the receiver into a unit that does not have an XLR input.

I'm afraid I can't help you much with the AT897 as I haven't done a lot of extensive testing with it yet. I have used it as a shotgun mic a couple of times with good results - however I cannot give you a real accurate assessment of its range yet. I'll likely start testing it in the coming weeks before I start rolling on a recruitment video..

I visualize using the AT897 to pick up multiple interviews with the help/use of a boom-mic pole (or even a mic stand) that also plugs into the DVX100 via XLR input as well.. You want to be sure that you position the mic so that it can pick up all of your speakers (which is why I suggested the boom pole and a friend solution.)

I can also see using the AT897 to pick up ambient surrounding noise while having a main interview mic'd up.. This could be helpful if you were filming from a distance (say a downtown street or something) and had your speaker mic'd up in the distance, but you wanted to collect some of the traffic going by that the lav. mic (on the G2) wouldn't necessarily pick up.. Again, I can control the levels appropriately on both XLR channels to insure that I was getting the quality I needed..

I hope this answers your questions -- if not just ask me to clarify.
Regards,
-Michael
Old March 19th, 2006, 12:16 PM   #5
Regular Crew

So the AT897 will work with the Sennheiser system? The Sennheiser system I was looking at had the SKP100G2 transmitter, not the SKP500G2--I don't know precisely what the differences are but I assume the AT897 would still work.

I would think that the AT897 would have a greater range than the internal mics on the DVX and be more directional. Is that true?

Once you've tested the AT897 more fully I'd be interested in your results.

Dale
Old March 20th, 2006, 09:55 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Lundy
"So the AT897 will work with the Sennheiser system?"
Yes, the DVX100 has two XLR inputs - so you can use two shotgun mics, or two wireless mics, or one shotgun and one wireless, etc..

[edited:] With a signal splitter - you can merge from more than two sources (i.e. two wireless signals and two shotgun mics) You have to be very careful to be monitoring the levels and making adjustments as needed. That's why most folks on here recommend that if you're increasing the number of microphones than in a traditional interview-type setup, then you should get a hold of a soundman and let them worry about the levels and you worry about getting the shot.

Quote:
"I would think that the AT897 would have a greater range than the internal mics on the DVX and be more directional. Is that true?"
Greater range? I'd like to think of it as greater flexibility - because I'm taking a microphone and I'm able to move it closer (out of the camera shot) to the subjects so that I don't have to rely on the DVX100 on board mics.. The advantage is that by moving the shotgun mic closer - you can diminish residual background noise.

More directional - absolutely. Place the AT897 in a mic stand or on the end of a boom pole - and you have a great deal of control of the audio that is being recorded. Get yourself a good pair of headphones so that you can monitor the levels accordingly.

Quote:
"Once you've tested the AT897 more fully I'd be interested in your results."
My project is slated to begin filming in the next month or so. I expect to have done a wide range of trial runs before then and I'll let you know what I find.

Good luck!
-Michael
Old April 2nd, 2006, 08:18 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Which G2 Microphone -- ME2, ME4?

I notice the Sennheiser Evolution G2 System can be purchased with either the ME-2 microphone, omnidirectional (top seller) or the ME-4 cardioid. If you were starting with one, which one would you pick? I might expect if you wanted to be able to pick up comments from people standing nearby you might use the ME2, but if you wanted to reduce ambient noise you might use the ME4. But in practice, how have they worked out? If you werre doing some indoor, some outdoor, which one would you likely pick?

Dale
Dale Lundy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant