DVX-100a or Super 8mm at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old March 12th, 2006, 04:17 PM   #1
New Boot

DVX-100a or Super 8mm

I want to shoot a feature with some friends in the near future and we're debating using the DVX-100a (Which we have) or shooting on super 8mm. I've never shot on 8mm before so I'm not aware of all the pro's and con's of it. If anybody has any experience shooting both I'd love to hear opinions. I'm not looking for which is better, just some points I may not know to consider.
John A. Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2006, 04:36 PM   #2
Regular Crew

John,

Id take the oney youd be spending on film and processing and hire a mini35.

BS
Brendan Sundry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2006, 05:12 PM   #3
Inner Circle

DVX: you'll get nicer images I think, and it will be much easier to collor correct and edit.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2006, 06:34 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I own ten super 8 cameras. Love to shoot with them. They are a lot of fun, and give great images. You can shoot Kodak Vision Negative stock now as well. Have the footage processed and telecined in one lab.

Having said that, I wouldn't attempt a feature with super 8 for a number of reasons.

Increased cost is amoung them. I think it's great for film look for shorts, special effects, and music videos. But shooting an entire feature, double system sound, with a rebuilt super 8 camera is going to cost you a whole lot more than renting a mini35 adapter and shooting tape. Plus you won't get shallow depth of field you can get with the adapter. Super 8 has about the same depth of field as most mini-dv cams. That is to say, deep.

And the cartidge load is less than three minutes.

If you want to shoot film, shoot super 16. It won't cost you much more and the cameras available for rental are a lot more reliable than the super 8 cams you will find. (Remember, you will need a crystal synch motor, and a blimped housing)
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant