Slow motion in 24pA for film transfer? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old January 23rd, 2003, 01:54 PM   #1
Major Player

Slow motion in 24pA for film transfer?

Hello, all. I'm wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to convert MiniDV footage (shot on a Panny DVX100 @ 24pA) into slow motion, using Final Cut Pro, for eventual transfer to film?

I've read in Marcus Van Bavel's book "Shooting Digital" that to do slow motion in NTSC for film transfer it can only be done at 40% of normal speed for the frames to line up right. Does anyone know what speed is necessary if it's shot in 24pA and not in 60i?

Thanks in advance!
Jaime Valles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2003, 06:49 PM   #2
New Boot

have you tired Twixtor?

http://www.revisionfx.com/rstwixtor.htm
Rene Legaspi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2003, 07:43 PM   #3
Contributor

Re: Slow motion in 24pA for film transfer?

The comment in the book only applies to "normal" interlaced NTSC.

For something shot 24PA I hope you're editing at 24P. Are you? If so then any slow-motion method you use, like a simple 2:1 frame repeat (i.e. 50% normal speed), will look the same on film as it does on your computer.

If you're not editing at 24, then you'll have to remove the pulldown, apply the slow-motion in a 24P timeline, then re-apply the pulldown. Removing and reapplying the 2:3:3:2 pulldown can be done with DVFilm Maker, http://www.dvfilm.com/maker/dvx100.htm
Marcus van Bavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2003, 08:29 PM   #4
Major Player

Yes, I will be editing in 24pA, most likely using DVFilm Maker.

Thanks a bunch!
Old January 24th, 2003, 12:48 AM   #5
New Boot

hey jamie,

first of all what do you plan to shoot in slow motion? i mean is it a stationary shot, a pan, tilt, zoom, or even a moving camera one?
i ask this because i heard alot about the motion blur/artifacts that can occur with this camera or any video camera for that matter.
you could always try shoot it in film; like super-8mm or 16mm and then transfer it to video later.

john,
John Beighle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2003, 08:22 AM   #6
Contributor

There is also the 'built-in' slow motion:

shoot at 30p fps and force back to 24 fps, resulting in a 20% slow-down with 'real' frames.

HTH,
Clayton
Clayton Farr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2003, 09:39 AM   #7
Major Player

Well, I probably won't be shooting in actual film (as I have no idea how to use a film camera), but it is a good suggestion.

The shots I have in mind have very little camera movement; only the subject being filmed is moving somewhat fast (he's throwing a baseball), which I'd like to be in slow motion.

As far as shooting 30p and then converting to 24p, that is very interesting. I'll probably try shooting it in various camera settings to decide later on which looks better in slo-mo.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Old February 10th, 2003, 03:41 AM   #8
New Boot

Just HOW, if someone can explain to me, does anyone go about shooting in 60i or 30p then change it to 24p? How? Is it in camera or in post? I didn't know it's built it. I would totally use it if I only knew.
Thanks!
Rene Legaspi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2003, 04:08 AM   #9
Outer Circle

You can't get good slow motion results because you'll need to bump up the frames per second when shooting, like at 60fps. 60fps is basically the standard slow motion frame rate. You can do this with film and HD, but not with miniDV.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant