DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/)
-   -   dvx100 PAL vs JVC gy dv 5001 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/6787-dvx100-pal-vs-jvc-gy-dv-5001-a.html)

Shai Levy February 10th, 2003 10:19 AM

dvx100 PAL vs JVC gy dv 5001

gosh! took a long time for me to decide that the pany is the one for me, even when i found that the PAL version will coast around 5,000€, but then i found the new JVC gy dv5000 (or 5001 in its pal ver.) which gives three bigger (1/2") ccd's, a DV/miniDV compatibility, a "real" lens... a professional camera.
the whole package (inc. lens and batteries) should get to less then 7000€ (depends on the lens quality of course)..
why am I posting it? i wonder if there's anyone who's struggling between those two? i am a professional cameraman who's willing to have his own equipment for indi-filmmaking, but also for free lance working. i assume that most of my work will stay on video, though having a possibility to move it later to film was my big "pro" for the pany. (i still have this option with any video and a DVfilmMaker.. i know)..
let me put you into my deepest feelings about the pany.. :) i somehow think its a great mobile video-camera-tool, which has it's own character as one, a real "look", the JVC will make me look more like a "cameraman" (when its getting to clients.. u know what i mean) and will let me the real lens i miss so much in the dvx100, but then - who wants to sattle down with a beta-like on your shoulder when you can travel the world shooting with a 25P sweety like the pany???
gosh!
help!

s.

Joe Carney February 10th, 2003 01:36 PM

If this will help. Swiss Effects says you get great tape to film transfers with interlaced PAL. Lighting, good cinematrography, all the usual things make for a great transfer. And your are right, unfortunately some clients will think you more professional with a bigger camera.
Plus....JVC just announced a HardDisk recorder that attaches to the dv5000. Up to six hours and no tape to PC transfer issues. You also have better lense choices if you can afford them. The dv5000 also has it's own cinema look features you can use and a semi progressive option the many people really like.

I bet I just made the decision harder didn't I? Good luck.

Me? I am getting the Pana. The JVC is too expensive for me right now.

Steve Mullen February 15th, 2003 02:46 AM

GY 5001

One thing you need to consider -- the DVX100, bless its little heart, is it has very low light lattitude. Despite the Pana tricks, it has a problem. The 1/2-ich chips make a real difference unless you can always control the light range.

I prefer a small light camcorder, but it might not be best for you given you can afford the JVC.

Frank Granovski February 15th, 2003 04:07 AM

Being in Germany, isn't a lot of stuff for TV these days in 16:9 now, like in England? I'd be afraid to buy a pricey cam without a 16:9 capability like the DSR570. Or does the new DV5000 have good 16:9...?