Wide Angle Lenses - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old April 2nd, 2003, 09:26 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Hmm... I'm a skateboard videographer, and I've filmed with the VX2000 with the Century fisheye and also the XL1 with the 16x lens with the Century fisheye and I can honestly say that the 0.7x Century does not even remotely approach the wideness of the XL1 fisheye even when mounted on the 3X wide lens.
Dave Valencic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2003, 09:05 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Thing is Dave that the DVX100 starts life with a wide-angle end of the standard zoom the equivalent of the VX2000 fitted with a 0.7x converter! So anything you fit over the DVX100's lens is a lot more powerful than the same converter on the VX.

But the wince-factor is that huge 72mm filter thread. This limits your options hugely, and at the same time ups the prices dramatically.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2003, 01:58 PM   #18
New Boot

Wide angle lens / Wide angle lens adapter - difference?

First off, please forgive my general ignorance - I am a hobbyist, and have no formal photography training, so I may ask questions or require clarification about lens technology/effects/etc that you all may take for granted.. =]

The Panasonic accessory list for the DVX-100 lists a wide angle lens adapter for about $450 USD.. Is this a "wide angle lens", or is this just an adapter for another wide angle lens? I'm trying to decide what wide angle lens to buy, and I would like to get the crystal optics .7 wide angle. Will I need this adapter in addition to the lens?

I figured $450 was too cheap for a wide angle, especially since somebody here told me they got their crystal optics for ~$670.. Thanks in advance for any help / insight. This forum has been great for info ever since I bought my camera.
Brian Cupini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2003, 02:32 PM   #19
Major Player

there is a difference between an adapter and a wide angle lens.. the adapter can be fitted on to a standard/long lens and will then give a view witch will simulate that of a wide angle lens. The quality of the wider angle however is most of the time less then that of a real wide angle, distortion, extra glass in front so less light and less quality of picture, or worse some adapters are not completely zoom through... the adapter is an adapter and nothing more! but i think, that you cannot change the lens of the agdvx100 so you will have to make do with the adapter anyway, but you will see the distortion at the edges, you can somewhat work around it by never using the wide angle in its widest setting....that will take the "edge" of it!!

David

director/cameraman

http://www.slingerlandproductions.nl
David Slingerland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2003, 05:37 PM   #20
Major Player

Where to buy Panasonic wide angle adapter

Hey guys--I'm need to get the Panasonic Wide Angle adapter for a shoot this weekend but B&H is out of stock. Anyone know where else I can find it? Thanks!

Peter
Peter Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2003, 05:42 PM   #21
Space Hipster

Did you try Zozt Digital or ProMax? Zotz is a forum sponors (others are in that forum here - might look around.
Old June 16th, 2003, 06:04 PM   #22
Major Player

I'll try them. THanks Stephen.
Old June 16th, 2003, 06:54 PM   #23
Major Player

Century Optics vs. Panasonic Wide Angle Adapter

Anybody have a preference between these two? Is the Panasonic Wide Angle adapter full zoom through, like the Centruy Optics .7mm? Thanks!

Peter
Old June 16th, 2003, 07:09 PM   #24
Space Hipster

I believe it is, from the press release /NAB reports. The .6x from Century does not zoom through.
Old June 16th, 2003, 07:12 PM   #25
Major Player

Thanks Stephen. What about optical quality? Everyone on the boards seems to like Century Optics. Any difference in the Panasonic? Also, is the Panasonic a .7 or a .6? Thanks,

Peter
Old June 16th, 2003, 07:15 PM   #26
Space Hipster

I'm pretty sure that the Panasonic is .7x but don't hold me to it. I've always been happy with Century Optics quality - not sure about the Panny. I have seen a side by side yet.
Old June 19th, 2003, 11:29 AM   #27
New Boot

Hi, can someone explain the "zoom through" process? I'm a total camera noob, and I'm learning a lot w/ my DVX100.. Is the zoom-through meaning the wide angle effect will be continuous throughout a zoom, whereas the .6 will only show the wide angle effect with no zoom? I want to buy a wide angle adapter for my camera, and the .6 is about $350 from b&hphoto/video, while the .7 adapter is about $679.. Is there no point to owning the .6 adapter? Thanks in advance for the help.
Brian Cupini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2003, 04:32 PM   #28
Major Player

Hi Brian--The "zoom through" means that the camera gives a usable image through the entire range of the zoom. The .6 mm from Century Optics is an adapter (meaning it has no zoom through. You can zoom for a while, but then the image goes completely out of focus and you cannot render anything but a blurred image). The .7mm from Century is a converter, which means you can zoom through the entire range of the lens and still have a usable image. I'm not sure of the actual optics and physics involved here, leave that to someone more experienced than me to explain. I just got a .6 mm from Century Optics about five minutes ago and did some quick testing. On the widest lens there is quite a bit of barrelling...like a lot, which I'm not particulary a fan of. The overall build and construction seems very high, though. The only reason I would get the .7mm is if you want to leave the converter on and if it has less barrelling (like I said, the .6 mm has a lot). Otherwise, there is overlap between the longest lens you can use with the .6mm adapter and the shortest lens on the DVX100 without adapter, so you have all your focal lengths covered.

So does anyone have side by side experience with the .6 and the .7? Is there any less barrelling with the .7? Certainly it's not as wide, but at the equivalent short focal lenghts to the .6 is there less barrellling distortion? Thanks!

Peter
Old June 20th, 2003, 12:14 AM   #29
Regular Crew

Peter,

I'm considering getting a wide angle adaptor/converter. If you have a chance could you please try a little experiment for me?

At the widest angle, how many feet away from the front of the lens does a 5'8 or so person need to be for you to just barely see the top of their head and the tips of their shoes at the extreme top and bottom of the frame?

Thanks very much,

--- Mark
Mark Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2003, 12:23 AM   #30
New Boot

Peter, thanks very much for answering.. Can you describe what 'barrelling' is? Is this a distortion of the images around the edges of the frame, where the image is manipulated? Thanks again for your help. I will be happy to trade you back in car/computer information - I know more about those than videography. =]

- Brian
Brian Cupini is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant