DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/)
-   -   Wide Angle Lenses (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/6873-wide-angle-lenses.html)

Mike Curcuru February 13th, 2003 06:47 AM

Wide Angle Lenses

Hey everyone, love the board and just signed up. Maybe some of your guys can help clear up some of the remaining issues I have concerning wide angle lenses. I'm interested in purchasing a wide angle lens for the dvx and not really sure what differences I'll see when I purchase one. I see on and B&H that they now are selling some new ones by centruy optics. First question revolves on the differences between the lenses themselves(i.e. 0.7x etc.) I understand that the higher you go, the wider your angle but will these lenses cause a fisheye effect. I assume not because they are somewhat pro lenses. Should I wait for the Panny one coming out soon? Like I said, any suggestions in this area would be a great help. My second question involves remote zoom and focus control. Now I have used both the varizoom and zoe controllers and I can honestly say that they both perform subpar. The throttle control on the varizoom is simply rediculous and does not allow for any smooth zooms at all. As for the zoe, yes it is a better design and imitates the professional more but the slowest zoom on it is barely slower than the panasonic's and does not warrant the $299 pricetag. In order to fully compliment the 24p of the camera you must have a slow, slow crawl to obtain cinematic results. Either controller merely looks like a standard dv cam. But this is what I am asking you all for comment about. I read that varizoom was making a zoom and focus controller that imitates the type found ont he xl1. Machine controlled and allows for manual focus and zoom. This would be fantasic. Anyone who has heard anything on this topic would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again in adavnce to anyone who is able to help me with my questions. Thanks and keep up the good work. Glad to be a member.

Chris Hurd February 13th, 2003 09:44 AM

Hello Mike, and welcome aboard!

<< I understand that the higher you go, the wider your angle >>

Actually it's the exact opposite... the lower the number, the wider your angle of view through a wide-angle adapter. Remember it's a multiplication of focal length by a value less than 1, so that:

100mm and a 0.7x adapter equates to 100 x 0.7 or 70mm

100mm and a 0.5x adapter equates to 100 x 0.5 or 50mm

Whereas a teleconverter is a multiplication of focal length by a value more than 1, such as a 1.7x converter.

<< Should I wait for the Panny one coming out soon? >>

Panasonic doesn't make their own glass, they contract it, so it'll be third-party anyway. As it is, you can't go wrong with Century Optics, they make superb products.

<< the slowest zoom on it is barely slower than the Panasonic's >>

It's important to understand that this is a limitation of the camera, not the controller. On rare occasions a controller might be able to access one step slower or faster zoom speed than what's on a particular model camera's zoom rockers, but this doesn't happen very often. Again, this is a limitation of the camera, not the controller.

Hope this helps,

Mike Curcuru February 13th, 2003 01:00 PM

I'm sorry for the way I phrased the question about the lenses. I meant exactly what you explained. Base on your opinion, which lens would you reccommend? Should I go for the widest, or something in the middle. As for the zoom controller, I fully realize that it is the camera that basically is in control of this yet all I meant was that neither controller available is really worth the money right now if you are looking to simulate that film look. Thanks for clearing up some issues though.

Jaime Valles February 13th, 2003 01:04 PM

Check out this link:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5827

In a nutshell, Varizoom is already working on an external FOCUS mechanism for remote focus on the DVX100. This should be available in the next month or two.

As for ZOOM controllers that allow a very slow, cinematic zoom, the rep from Varizoom said they're toying with the idea of making an external zoom controller, possibly combined with the focus controller. This, however, is not definite, as of yet.

Hope this helps!

Stephen van Vuuren February 13th, 2003 02:30 PM

Chris:

Any sponsors going to carry these?

Chris Hurd February 13th, 2003 02:58 PM

Hi Stephen,

You mean the controllers? VariZoom itself is a DV Info Net sponsor and sells direct. Other DV Info Net sponsors such as ZGC and Pro-Tape are also VariZoom dealers. See www.dvinfo.net/sponsors -- hope this helps,

Stephen van Vuuren February 13th, 2003 03:43 PM

Nope - sorry, I meant the Century Optics adapters.

Chris Hurd February 13th, 2003 07:56 PM

Oh. Well, I don't think so as of yet. We need one, definitely.

Mike Curcuru February 14th, 2003 01:26 AM

Guys, thanks for the help so far. One more question though. If I purchase one of the lenses,(I', leaning more toward the .7x for the versatility) do I need to purchase any other accesories in order to view this? I dont think I should at all right? It should just be widening the range of the lens. I just want to make sure I'm doing this right. Thanks again.

John Beighle February 14th, 2003 10:31 PM

If anyone is interested in seeing the new lens adaptors for the panny 24p by century optics then just go over to their website.
type in www.centuryoptics.com and then click on the new products banner at the top of the page. On the "new products" page you will see a list of all the adpators that they now carry. They give both pictures, prices and descriptions, etc.

john,

p.s. can anyone confirmed if and when panasonic is coming out
with there own 16x9 anamorphic adaptor for the panny 24p?

James Early February 14th, 2003 10:44 PM

16x9 anamorphic adaptor

John check this out, hope it helps.

http://www.zgc.com/html/anamorphic_attachment.html

Carl Slawinski February 21st, 2003 11:42 AM

Standard Wide Angle

I was reading about the DVX-100 and noticed that there were several mentions about how the standard lens is "wider" than most, but after looking at the specs, I don't see it.

DVX-100 4.5-45 mm
PD150 6.0-72 mm
GL2 4.2-84 mm

Am i missing something?

Thanks

Carl

Tom Hardwick March 6th, 2003 12:43 PM

No, you're not missing anything Carl - you've written down the figures correctly. The VX2k goes down to 6mm but the DX100 goes down to 4.5mm. Both have 1/3" chips, so the Panasonic lens is like having the VX2000 with a 0.7x wide-angle converter permanently in place.

But the Panasonic lens is only 10x zoom, so a max of 45mm (against the VX's 72mm) means that even with 1/3" chips it's goodbye differential focus.

Forget the GL2. It uses 1/4" chips, so the focal length of 4.2mm is the same as the Sony in wide-angle coverage.

tom.

Brian Cupini March 29th, 2003 04:03 AM

Wide angle lenses for the DVX-100 (us)

Can anybody recommend a retailer in the US (online or otherwise) with good prices for a wide angle lens for this camera? I've searched a bit, and can't seem to find any lenses (72mm?) for this camera..

BTW, I got my DVX-100 last week, and I love it. The video tests I've done so far are incredible. Very happy with it!

Teo Coxman March 29th, 2003 12:05 PM

Re: Wide angle lenses for the DVX-100 (us)

<<<-- Originally posted by Brian Cupini : Can anybody recommend a retailer in the US (online or otherwise) with good prices for a wide angle lens for this camera? I've searched a bit, and can't seem to find any lenses (72mm?) for this camera..

BTW, I got my DVX-100 last week, and I love it. The video tests I've done so far are incredible. Very happy with it! -->>>

I just got mine from Safer Seas...I know someone at Century and they got me a better price than 20% off....I highly recommend the .7 Century...It's nearly as wide as the fisheye with Zoom Through Capability and no distortion...It's a really nice piece of glass! It was 636.00...I normally Shoot 35mm and I'm pretty damn impressed with this Camera.
http://www.Saferseas.com