AG-DVC80 various topics - Page 14 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old August 26th, 2004, 12:51 PM   #196
Major Player

Joe, I paid about that much for my DVC80 a little over a year ago and it was worth every penny. Still is. Comparing used to new prices is a little unfair, as well.

As of today, it's still there at B&H and I'd definitely recommend it.
John Britt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2004, 03:34 PM   #197
Major Player

It's worth about 1900.00
Old August 31st, 2004, 05:34 PM   #198
Major Player

How do you figure that, Michael?

At the very least, it's as good as a VX2100, which is more than $1900. At best, it was nearly a PD150/170 competitor, and was bought (and considered) as such by some broadcast news professionals.

I'm not trying to start an argument here; it just sounds like you're making a pretty arbitrary statement.

(and I'm comparing new to new. If a new DVX100a costs $3400, then I'd say that the same camera without 24p/30p is worth $1000 less. And a new DVC80 was a huge savings over a new PD150. A *used* DVC80 probably is worth about $1900)
Old August 31st, 2004, 07:38 PM   #199
Regular Crew

Any way you look at it, the DVC80 is a great camera. If I didn't own a DVX, I'd probably own that.

"I like Mankato just a little bit better than any other town in the world." -Sinclair Lewis
Ryan Gohlinghorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2004, 09:28 PM   #200
Wrangler

I can't remember the exact price but B&H had the DVC80 for much less (perhaps right at $2000) before they last went out of stock.

For $2699 you can get the PD170 from B&H using the WEVA discount and mail-in rebate.
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2004, 07:24 PM   #201
Regular Crew

Seems B&H is trying to capitilize on a great camera no longer being in production by upping the price. They used to selll it for $2,199 when it was still being made and I got mine for less than $2,000 from BuyDig.

Yes, I had to endure the high pressure sales tactics they use to try and get me to purchase more equipment but when I threatened to cancel the sale if he didn't trust my judgement he backed off and sold it for the web advertised price of $1,899 with full US Warranty.

It is a great camera, it's just a shame B&H seems to be stooping to price gouging.
Aaron J.H. Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2004, 07:37 PM   #202
Obstreperous Rex

BuyDig is Not an authorized Panasonic dealer -- U.S. customers will lose your warranty going through that high-pressure outfit. There's a big thread on dvxuser about this; Jan C. from Panasonic has verified who is or is not an authorized U.S. dealer.

B&H charges a fair price, plus they're a DV Info Net sponsor. Buy from them and you're helping this community to continue being the great free resource that it is. Thanks,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2004, 10:06 PM   #203
Regular Crew

Dear Chris;

Sorry to get you so upset and I hope I did not send people to the wrong source. It was my mistake. I DID NOT purchase my DVC-80 from Buy Dig. It was in fact ProFeel for the above mentioned price. I got them confused as I had called so many places trying to find a good price.

And I do appreciate B&H being a sponsor for this site but I don't think that should excuse them to jack up prices beyond what they originally listed the item for new.
Old September 10th, 2004, 06:52 AM   #204
Major Player

But Aaron, as I stated above, I paid approx. $2400 for a DVC80 from B&H over a year ago -- at the time, that was the "reasonable" street price (yes, some online retailers had it for less, as always; and list price was around $2900, I believe) and it was still around $1000 less than the DVX100.

It maintained this price for a bit even after my purchase. Yes, the price dropped before the camera was discontinued, but it somewhat misleading to say that B&H has "jack[ed] up prices beyond what they originally listed the item for new." I'd say that they are selling the camera at a median price that it not only *originally sold for*, but which is also just about right between the original list price and the very final price it sold for before discontinuation. Considering that a new DVC80 is now a rare thing, I'd call that a reasonable price
Old September 10th, 2004, 07:42 PM   #205
Regular Crew

Sorry to mislead anyone. I just thought I remembered it being cheaper ($2,200?) than the first guy said. I could be wrong, I do remember not purchasing it through B&H because the price was higher than I was seeing it from other reputable dealers.

So, sorry if my memory's a little fuzzy. Frankly cost was an issue for me so I checked into a lot of places before purchase but I just don't remember it being that high. That said, you are right, it's a great camera and around the same price I remember it as so I don't mean to paint B&H in a negative light.

Sorry:(
Old September 20th, 2004, 05:24 PM   #206
Regular Crew

I bough mine from them maybe 3 weeks ago they had 2 only..I got one ....
Marcin Tyszka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2004, 07:22 PM   #207
Regular Crew

Bought mine in Feb for $2100 from B&H with a $100.00 gift certificate.

DJ
David Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2004, 02:40 PM   #208
Regular Crew

CineGamma in DVC80?

I understand that the DVC80 does not do progressive, and also does not have CineSwitch, but does it have CineGamma (like the DVC30)? I thought it did, but can't find anything saying anything either way.

Also, they say that the DVC80 is the exact same camera as the DVC100, but minus the progressive, CineSwitch, & maybe CineGamma. IS that exactly true? IOW do they both use the same CCDs? If so, that would mean that the DVC80 would be theoretically progressive capable, but the firmware just cripples that feature.

Thanks,

Alex F
Alex Filacchione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2004, 05:46 PM   #209
Major Player

The DVC80 does not have CineGamma (as well as the other things you mentioned it not having). It also does not have some of the nicities of the DVX100, like the focal meter and the user-controllable audio gain control.

I believe the rest of the hardware is the same -- lens, CCDs, and whatnot. I don't think that means that making it progressive would be very easy (or even possible). I honestly think that if it was possible, someone would have done it by now (and someone would have posted the instructions here at dvinfo.net).

As I've said before, the DVC80 is a great camera as it is. It's somewhere between the VX2000 and the PD150 (and some think that it's the equal of the PD150). If you want progressive, get a progressive cam; but the DVC80 is a great cam regardless.

(and, as always, you can see the DVC80 in action on my site at http://www.karatemedia.com/video and http://www.karatemedia.com/video/nonsense.html -- not the best stuff in the world, but I love pimpin' myself...)
Old September 22nd, 2004, 09:15 PM   #210
Regular Crew

How then, does the 80 compare to the dvc30? I kn ow that the 30 has smaller CCDs, and that it does have CineGamma (how well does that even work?). But what are the other differences between the two?

Thanks,

Alex F
Alex Filacchione is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant