AG-DVC80 various topics - Page 15 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old September 23rd, 2004, 05:29 AM   #211
Inner Circle

CineGamma is like topping on ice cream..

basicallyu its a way the camera renders the gamma or luminance which are picked up by the CCD. What it then does is decipher a line of processing to offer you a series of different lighting, contrast, flush, crush and blow out configurations depending on your style.
I find fiixed cinegama (& CineMatrix) settings to be useless (as found in the DVC30 and GS400) you NEED to be able to configure these settings and control it properly (like within the DVX100) to be able to get the most out of it.

Think of it as another effect.. but its an actaul "feel" to what your doing.. hard to explain it in real world terms, but worked properly, the image quality is impeccable.

THe dvc30 (in good light) is prolly the only cam to come close to the DVX100 (first release)... but the 100a is nigh on perfect.

again it all comes to educaiton... its one thing to have cinegama, its another thing to know how ot use it effectively without blowing out your shots (which can actaully be a good thing sometimes if u wnat that look.. :) )
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2004, 12:37 PM   #212
Regular Crew

DVC80 vs 30

OK I know that the 80 does not do CineGamma and the 30 does.

The 30 does frame mode where the 80 does not

I know that the 30 has 1/4" CCDs and the 80 has 1/3" CCDs

The 80 has XLR, whereas the 30 does not

I believe that the 80 can switch between color & B&W in the viewfinder, and the 30 cannot.

What are the other differences? The 80 can only do 60i. In my notes I have written down that the 30 can do 30p. Is that correct, or did I get that information wrong?

The 80 has SMTPE timecode... does the 30?

Thanks,

AlexF
Alex Filacchione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2004, 02:38 PM   #213
Major Player

Unless I've overlooked something on my camera, the DVC80 viewfinder does not switch from color to B&W -- it is color only.
John Britt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2004, 09:36 PM   #214
Obstreperous Rex

The DVC30 does in fact add XLR inputs easily as an optional accessory. For all practical purposes, XLR is "built-in" on the DVC30 if you want it.

The DVC30 does not offer manual audio level adjustment on the camera body (only via internal menu).

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2004, 07:07 PM   #215
Regular Crew

The DVC30 viewfinder can be switched to b&w
Alex Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2004, 02:55 AM   #216
Regular Crew

(dvc80) problem loading tapes shot by other cam

Hi,

I have problems doing playbacks of tapes videotaped by other cams (i.e. canon gl2 and sony vx2000) I dunno why when those tapes play on my dvc80, the sound always can't play properly, it just keeps "stuttering", the image is ok though

My friend took the tapes and played them on his gl-2 and it works. how come? does it have anything to do with the alignment? or just that the head is dirty? or? Is there any quick and easy way to fix it?

Thanks very much.
Johnny Cheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2004, 09:51 PM   #217
Major Player

Johnny,

If the issue is a dirty head on your camera, then your tapes would have the same problem. But if your recordings play back fine, then the issue is probrably with the other camera. Head mis-allignment is a known and common issue with the XL1, XL1S, and GL1. And head mis-allignment can affect any camera after awhile.

Check your recordings on another camera and deck. Then check the tapes in question on the same cameras and decks to try to isolate the problem. If all you can't isolate the issue, then you could either clone the footage from the originals from the camera that shot them to your camera via Firewire, or use a more robust deck.

Another possibility may be the level at which the audio was recorded or is playing back. If the audio from the other camera was recorded at a level near or just over 0db, then it's possible that the audio is clipping at some point. I've experienced audio clipping in FCP from a few TRV900's and VX2000's. The audio was recorded right 0db in the camera, and thus created a few issues when working in the world of Digital audio where most sound engineers recommend a peak level of -12db. By simply lowering the audio level from 0db to -6 or so in FCP, the audio stopped clipping on play back and sounded plenty clean and clear.

You should be able to view the audio level or your DVC80 by displaying the LEVEL METER. When the level meters hit the vertical "dashes", they are at -12db. anything over is technically clipping in a Digital audio perspective. But when they hit the absolute end of the meter length and a second dash is displayed, then the levels are right at or over 0db. Once the audio goes over 0db, you're pretty much screwed. But if the level is right at 0db, then try capturing the clip and lowering the level in your NLE and see if that brings the audio back into range.

Please know that I am not an audio recordist or sound engineer of any kind. But the above level issue is something that I've encountered in my limited post experience. Perhaps someone with more audio and post experience may be able to chime in with better information on the subject.
Jon Fordham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2004, 05:08 PM   #218
Regular Crew

Is the DVC80 gone?

Hello,

I've been away from the forum for a while and have previously searched for info on the Panasonic AG-DVC80.

Now when I go to the B&H site I see a 30 and a 60.

Please enlighten me.

Thanks

Bob
Bob Fitzgibbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2004, 07:43 PM   #219
Barry Wan Kenobi

The DVC80 is long gone. It was discontinued about the time the DVC30 was introduced.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2004, 08:00 AM   #220
Regular Crew

Thanks for the reply Barry.

Other than the zoom limitation, I thought the DVC80 was a pretty nice rig. That's too bad. I guess I'll have to bone up on the new models and make another choice.
Bob Fitzgibbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2004, 09:38 AM   #221
Obstreperous Rex

You might find a used one for sale privately; with any camcorder, U.S. law mandates that it is supported by factory service at least seven years past its date of discontinuance.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2005, 07:09 PM   #222
Regular Crew

Value of my DVC80

I purchased just about the last DVC80 that BandH had. I have used it for four weddings. With it I have, I believe a 3200 amp battery and a 7200.

Has anyone an idea of its value?
Charley Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2005, 07:39 PM   #223
Regular Crew

DVC 80 Value

Try and buy a similar camera with 1/3" chips, the quality and features of this camera and that will let you know how much it is worth. I think it is right behind the XL1 & 2 and DVX 100+ cameras. The GL1 is not in the same league. A friend of mine produces a show "Driving" for Global TV using this camera.
Guy Shaddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2005, 12:21 PM   #224
Major Player

Re: Value of my DVC80

<<<-- Originally posted by Charley Gallagher : I purchased just about the last DVC80 that BandH had. I have used it for four weddings. With it I have, I believe a 3200 amp battery and a 7200.

Has anyone an idea of its value? -->>>
Are you selling? I may be in a position acquire another one soon, and I really would like another if the price is fair. I know of another videographer in my area who bought a used DVC80 in with 37 hours on it for only $1,500. Deal of the century!

We should be so lucky!
Tim Borek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2005, 08:42 PM   #225
Regular Crew

I was hoping to hear $1800 or so. This looked to be the best camera I could purchase for the money. My one friend has a PD170 and another has the XL1. Both shot my son's wedding. I have to say the picture of the PD170 was fantastic. I was upset with the XL1. The colors were not bright and color correcting between the two cameras was impossible.

Then I saw how badly the XL1 worked indoors in low light. I researched and decided the DVC80 was a lot of camera. I have used it a few times alongside the PD170 and the pictures in bright light are comparable. Unfortunately it pales in comparison during wedding receptions when the light is low. I think low lighting ability is about the most important consideration at this time.

We made a comparison at a church. It was early, the church was dark and we set up our cameras on tripods, zommed in to see the same size picture and focused on a candle. The PD170 had a bright picture and my camera was using 6 and needing 12db gain.
In every other way I just love this camera. I think its controls are easier to use than the 170.

Oh yeah, when I purchased it I saw ads saying it was the same camera as the 100 except it didnt do 24 frames. It really is missing some of the feature of the 100 and 100A. One of them is time lapse.

So I was considering selling it to pick up a PD170 but money is tight and I didn't want to take a beating on it. I was hoping it was in demand because it was no longer available.
Charley Gallagher is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant