AG-DVC80 various topics - Page 16 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old January 29th, 2005, 12:01 PM   #226
Regular Crew

If you are still interested I might be willing to pay $1700 depending on what kind of tapes have been used and the hours on the heads.
Will Abele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2005, 07:20 PM   #227
Regular Crew

Here is a price benchmark ($1799 used at b&h):

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...0398925&is=USE

You probably could contact them about trading for a PD170
Jed Williamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2005, 07:26 PM   #228
Regular Crew

Sorry for taking so long to repost. I have reconsidered selling the camera as trading up would not be prudent. What I did is purchase the Sony VX2100 used for what I would get for my camera. In that case I am ending up with what I really need, a primary camera with low light sensitivity and a backup camera that I can put on a tripod at weddings for those unmanned shots.

I think I will be pleased with this purchase. I will use the DVC80 for those handheld dolly and trucking shots because the built in wide angle ability keeps them smooth.

thanks for all the responces
Charley Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2005, 02:08 PM   #229
Major Player

Charley --

Let us know how it goes -- I was under the impression that the VX2100 was not as good in low-light as the PD170, and therefore was about equal in low-light as the DVC80.

I use the DVC80 for my production work and have been very happy with it in most all conditions (it's not the tops in low-light situations, but I've rarely had to use gain, except in really dark clubs a couple of times).

If I were going to get a second camera, it would probably be a high-end production camera (1/2 or 2/3 chipper, like the shoulder-mounted JVCs, etc), a 24P cam like the DVX100A (or better), or a HD production camera. Anything else would seem like a step sideways instead of forward.

Regardless, you might be one of the few people on this board to own both a DVC80 and a VX2100, and it will be nice to heard your opinions after you've gotten to use both together.
John Britt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2005, 03:05 PM   #230
Trustee

Are there DVC80s to buy new yet?

Even if I am in the market for GS400 or a DVC30, I thought I might give it a try at finding new DVC80 units, if available.

Is there any store, if possible in NY, where I can go personally buy a new DVC80?

If you do a Google search in the web you may find the "usual suspects" offering it, like Broadway Photo, Digital Liquidators and A&M Photo, who get almost negative reviews from Reseller Ratings site.

The best way to avoid a rip-off is to go to the shop and test the camera you are buying and walk out with it.

Carlos
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2005, 07:27 PM   #231
Barry Wan Kenobi

The DVC80's been discontinued for something like a year. I seriously doubt you'll find any new stock.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2005, 08:54 AM   #232
Tourist

I've got a DVC80 for sale, great camera with amazing images, (3) 1/3" CCDs. Babied it in a hard case since purchasing in May. Has only 100 hours on it. No dings or scratches, just a little wear. Still under warranty. Asking $1999, will be ebaying it soon but wanted to offer to DVi users first.
Ken Glynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2005, 08:57 AM   #233
Tourist

I've got a DVC80 for sale, great camera with amazing images, (3) 1/3" CCDs. Babied it in a hard case since purchasing in May. Has only 100 hours on it. No dings or scratches, just a little wear. Still under warranty. Asking $1999, will be ebaying it soon but wanted to offer to DVi users first.
Ken Glynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2006, 01:20 PM   #234
Regular Crew

Dvc 80

I've been experimenting with all different looks this camera can provide.

Has anyone out there had any luck tweeking and experimenting?? If so, I'd love to read about it.

Thanks.

-Mike
Old February 16th, 2006, 08:45 AM   #235
Regular Crew

DVC 80 Head cleaning

Any tips on head cleaning. I have 79 hours on my camera. I've been using the same tapes throughout.

I have not noticed any drop outs or problems, but I would prefer to keep my camera tip top condition.

Any tips would be helpful. Thanks for the input!
-Mike
Old February 19th, 2006, 07:39 AM   #236
Major Player

Every 1,000 hours

Panasonic's ProLine video cameras are designed for industrial and professional use. My DVC80 manual recommends a tune-up every 1,000 hours, but my camera has only 150 hours on it. I've only had to clean the heads once when the little red "X" appeared on screen (after about 30 hours of use). I've never had any head issues. You don't want to use a head-cleaning cassette unless you have to, since it has an abrasive surface. I can appreciate keeping equipment in top condition, but my experience with all things high-tech -- from PCs to camcorders -- is if it's not broken, don't fix it.

Enjoy the DVC80!
Tim Borek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2006, 08:54 PM   #237
Major Player

Hi, Mike! I haven't been to dvinfo.net in awhile, but it's good to see some other DVC80 users still around!

There's not many DVC80 folks around these parts -- I seem to recall it was pretty slim a couple years back, as well. Everyone else typically spent the extra $1000 to get the DVX100... I didn't want you to feel too left out in the cold, so I figured I'd drop in.

Usually, I do not use the DVC80 settings to drastically tweak the image. Instead, I'll try to get a relatively faithful image and tweak it w/ something like After Effects. I feel that this gives me greater latitude to change things around in post, without being stuck with a stylized look from the get-go.

Most of my work with the DVC80 is freelance. For example, here is an interview with the band Secret Machines that I shot and edited: http://karatemedia.com/secretmachines/ -- all the color video is from the DVC80, much of it tweaked in AE.

There are some examples of local, low-budget commercials I have shot with the DVC80 at http://karatemedia.com/video/commercials.html -- the Big City Bread one is one of my favorites.

The one time I really wish I had worked more with the DVC80's in-camera color controls is with this live video: http://karatemedia.com/nutria/ -- the red stagelights really took over on tape, washing everything in way too much red. I had to spend too much time afterwards trying to fix this. A few minutes tweaking the DVC80 before the shoot definitely would have saved me a lot of processing time afterwards.

Just thought I'd share my DVC80 experience. Hope it helps!
John Britt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2006, 11:54 AM   #238
Regular Crew

Sorry for the less than fast response. I've been planning my wedding in June.

I love your work! Very nice job! The Secret Machine spot really held my attention. Very creative. The commericail spots were all very nice!!

I love my 80. I'll proably continue using panasonic camers for the interface alone. More buttons...less menu! I'm going to hold out until I can figure out a better HDV workflow. And the until the prices come down. No sense in buying another SD camera though...unless it's under a grand.

I've been moonlighting betwwen my day job and my production company. I'm a government producer by day and a business producer at night! The life of video professional is always long hours huh...

I hope to be up to speed by the end of the year. Would you be willing to check out my site and critique it?? www.vmediaconcepts.com

I would really appreciate an opinion from a fellow professional.

Thanks and keep up the great work!
Old April 2nd, 2006, 08:14 PM   #239
Regular Crew

What happened to DVC80?

So what has happened to this camera?
Is the DVC60 supposed to be it's replacement?
Monte Comeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2006, 09:29 PM   #240
Major Player

Dvc80

Simply put, the AG-DVC80 was too much camera for the money, so Panasonic stopped making them after about nine months. I've heard that they were cutting into sales of the DVX100. The DVC60 is nowhere near being a replacement for the DVC80 because it has smaller quarter-inch CCDs instead of the one-third inch CCDs in the DVC80. I've seen DVC80s selling on eBay for about $1,500. Good camcorder with professional features. I'm an event videographer, and it meets my needs just fine. I imagine it would also be good for corporate and educatational markets.
Tim Borek is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant