DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/)
-   -   Recommendation: DVC30 or VX2000 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/69943-recommendation-dvc30-vx2000.html)

Craig Weinstein June 20th, 2006 07:40 PM

Recommendation: DVC30 or VX2000

Hello,

I am trying to recommend the best 3CCD camera for a friend to purchase. He is in indie film like me. He can't spend much more than $2000 and he would love a used DVX100 but they're too expensive for his budget (he's buying a Macbook Pro and FCP software also).

We've narrowed it to two servicable cameras, unless we find a used DVX100 within his price range:

Panasonic DVC30 MiniDV (new purchase)

Sony XV2000 (used/refurb)

I own a DVX100 and am very familiar with it, but the DVC30 seems to be missing a lot of features I'm used to (besides 24P mode). I've known the VX2000 to be a very good camera for years.

Which one do you guys recommend over the other?

-Craig

John Washam July 7th, 2006 08:00 PM

Don't know about the VX2000, but I have an AG-DVC30. I've loved every minute of this camera. It has full abilities with manual control. The picture is crystal clear, and it has good low light performance. With the optional XLR adapter, it can use any shotgun mic just fine. Don't know what other info you're needing, but I love this camera! I am actually buying a friend one because he saw how much I love it.

David Jimerson July 7th, 2006 09:11 PM

The DVC30 certainly gives you pictures more similar to the DVX. But it does have smaller CCDs and this can make itself apparent in shadowy areas.

Chris Barcellos July 7th, 2006 09:25 PM

I have the VX2000. It is a rugged tough camera. It is better in lowlight, due the bigger chips. The market seems to agree, as the VX2000 and its later versions are priced new above DVC30, and yet VX2000 has been a best seller. I don't know if that can be said about the DVC30.

Also, I think the battery power system is probably much superior.

Michael Fossenkemper July 8th, 2006 12:31 PM

I own the DVC30 and use the vx2100 a few times. Both have their plus's and minus's. In low light the sony kicks butt, In good light the dvc30 has a cooler looking pic. The DVC30 feels better made, The Sony has some nice options. I say buy both.

Boyd Ostroff July 8th, 2006 01:13 PM

I have a VX-2000 and it was a great camera in its day but is really showing its age anymore IMO. It's still great for events where you need maximum low light ability and only want to work in 4:3. But if you want to make indie films I'd think that high quality 16:9 should be on your short list of camera features. The VX won't give you that, but neither with the DVC unfortunately.

$2,000 seems like a lot for a used VX-2000, I'd think you could find one for a lot less than that considering its age. You might see if you can still find a new PDX-10 somewhere (which was recently discontinued). It would give you real 16:9 and pro audio features - B&H has been selling them new for $1,700 but I think they are currently out of stock. There have been some used ones here in the classifieds recently. But if you need 24p you'd have to do that in post with this camera.

A couple other inexpensive native 16:9 cameras are the Sony HC-1000 and Panasonic GS-400, both of which are also discontinued so they should be pretty affordable on the used market. Then of course you might also think about the Sony HVR-A1 which is around $2,000 and will give you HDV or native 16:9 DV. The Sony HC-1 is the consumer version of that camera and costs even less.

Good luck with your search, and let us know what you end up buying. Visit our various camera forums for more info on the models I've mentioned above.

Tim Painter July 10th, 2006 03:25 PM

The only other thing that I can add is that if you are planning on getting a DVX100 later, than the batteries and some of the accessories for the dvc30 can be used with it.

Tim P.

Tommy Haupfear July 11th, 2006 08:21 AM

Someone just posted a DVC30 for sale in our classifieds, that might allow you some accessories..

A DVX100a for $2300 was just posted as well.

Bud Younke July 12th, 2006 02:19 PM

I have bothe the VX2100 and the DVC-60. Both produce very similar images under good lighting conditions - set them up to get as close as possible, and a good match isn't all that hard to achieve.... under lower light conditions tho, the VX is the winner hands down.