Dead end....which camera? at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old August 28th, 2006, 04:11 PM   #1
Tourist
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 3
Dead end....which camera?

Hello,

First off I am new to cinematography, I want to get into short films, mostly pertaining to martial arts and action, more hollywood style(look), not little bobby's tournament =).

I would like to get that hollywood look that best I could, without spending too much money(I know, Im dreaming). I hear it takes correct lighting, angle, tone or mood, to achieve this.

The few camcorders that I have come across is the Canon GL-2, Sony VX2100, DVX100B(really out of my price range), DVC30 and today a salesman pointed me to the Sony HCR-HC3 but I do not know much about the HD cams right about now.

As for the first two, I know the XV2100 has better low light than the GL-2, I know there is a price difference between the two. I have read that the GL-2 has features that the VX2100 do not, I also hear it has better frame rates(that true?)

I just recently read about the DVX100B, and from what I see its just an awesome character, but it is out of my price range. As for the little brother DVC30, I have read that it is very comparable to the GL-2/VX2100.

Sound is something else that I would need, I was thinking of getting a separate equip/mic anyways(also need suggestions on that as well).

The scenes I am wanting to do persist of an old warehouse, so the lighting maybe dark depending on the lighting source(Meaning I can get some lights if I have to). In that thought would I be better off with the VX or the GL

I know neither the GL-2 or VX2100 are widescreen/letterbox format and I hear the 16:9 feature degrades quality. (Dont know about the DVX100 or DVC30)

As for the HDR-HC3 I dont know I havent read much about it, I know its a consumer, and does look like it has much options or very extendable.

Just need your help guys, sorry for this being a windy post.

Thanks in advance
James
James A Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2006, 07:59 AM   #2
Tourist
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bartlesville, OK
Posts: 1
I'm in the same predicament. But, while the dvx100b is out of my price range now, I could have enough for one by the first quarter of next year.

I would like to get something sooner, though. That's why I've been looking at the MD10000 (PAL version of dvc20). I was wondering if it would be better to get two of these for multiple angles of scenes, or to wait and get the dvx.

I know the md10000 has smaller ccd's, but that's all the difference I know.

Sorry for hijacking your thread, but I thought maybe someone could answer both our questions. I also didn't know if you had looked at the MD10000. You can pick one up online for about $1000 - $1300.
Tyler Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2006, 04:29 PM   #3
New Boot
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Soldiers Grove Wisconsin
Posts: 5
Well, I am fairly new to all this, and I'm sure this topic has been discussed here before but I thought I would chime in. I own a DVX100A and have been very, very pleased with it. That being said, after working for awhile in the on a few projects you'll soon learn that unless you make money with your camera every day, renting is perhaps a very viable option over buying. also you can find an original DVX100 for as low as $1500 on ebay although be leery! Audio options are important and on the GL-2 and VX2100(as well as the DVC30) there are no XLR inputs. Simply said, perhaps rent a DVX100 and a mic package, then, when the funds become available, buy it, or the latest HD camera. Just my opinion
Toby Engel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2006, 02:41 PM   #4
Trustee
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NZ
Posts: 1,276
Hi James,

I think the camera is the last thing you need to think about. Just spend lots of time watching lots of movie and tv show and you might learn quite a bit.

Just my 2 cents

Regards
Leigh
Leigh Wanstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2006, 06:48 PM   #5
Tourist
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh Wanstead
Hi James,

I think the camera is the last thing you need to think about. Just spend lots of time watching lots of movie and tv show and you might learn quite a bit.

Just my 2 cents

Regards
Leigh
Well, I do watch alot of movies and tv shows, considering I work at Blockbuster :) but I dont know how I am going to learn how to film from that?
James A Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2006, 07:07 PM   #6
Trustee
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NZ
Posts: 1,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by James A Johnson
Well, I do watch alot of movies and tv shows, considering I work at Blockbuster :) but I dont know how I am going to learn how to film from that?
May I ask if you have any experience about photography? If not, that will be a good starting point.

Regards
Leigh
Leigh Wanstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2006, 11:46 PM   #7
Major Player
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Fenton
I'm in the same predicament. But, while the dvx100b is out of my price range now, I could have enough for one by the first quarter of next year.

I would like to get something sooner, though. That's why I've been looking at the MD10000 (PAL version of dvc20). I was wondering if it would be better to get two of these for multiple angles of scenes, or to wait and get the dvx.

I know the md10000 has smaller ccd's, but that's all the difference I know.

Sorry for hijacking your thread, but I thought maybe someone could answer both our questions. I also didn't know if you had looked at the MD10000. You can pick one up online for about $1000 - $1300.
I'm a big fan of the MD10000 camera. I own two of them. I've used them both on controlled sets and indy/docu stuff (think 2 cam setups of Arrested Development). I love em. Sure, there are always better cameras with more features, but these give a great image, have the form factor I need and have that film motion (25p->24p). And dealing with PAL in NTSC land is almost a non-issue.
__________________
PAL shooter in NTSC territory
Patrick Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2006, 11:48 PM   #8
Major Player
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by James A Johnson
Well, I do watch alot of movies and tv shows, considering I work at Blockbuster :) but I dont know how I am going to learn how to film from that?

Figure out what it is you like about a movie or a show and then copy it. Copy it so well and so often in your own shorts that you get to the point that you know that style inside and out and blindfolded. Then start adapting it to be the way you want it to be.

$.02

Just go do it - best way to learn filmmaking.
__________________
PAL shooter in NTSC territory
Patrick Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2006, 06:33 AM   #9
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ransomville NY
Posts: 239
Would a used DVX100A be out of your price range? It would be a great camera to start with.

dvxuser.com

Look on ebay, there are tons of them for sale, most of them with alot of accessories.

Other than that I say GL2.

-Kyle
__________________
Online Portfolio | Feature Film on XHA1
Kyle Prohaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2006, 08:46 PM   #10
Tourist
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Prohaska
Would a used DVX100A be out of your price range? It would be a great camera to start with.

dvxuser.com

Look on ebay, there are tons of them for sale, most of them with alot of accessories.

Other than that I say GL2.

-Kyle
Thanks for the input, yes I was considering a used DVX100, I was looking to spend around $1600 and I have seen them around that on ebay. I will keep looking for the best deal on them while I save the money :)
James A Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2006, 09:51 PM   #11
Trustee
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NZ
Posts: 1,276
Hi James,

Camera usually allocate around 20% of the budget. You also need to have a computer to edit the footage and some tripod and camera bag and microphone, lighting equitment etc.

Regards
Leigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by James A Johnson
Thanks for the input, yes I was considering a used DVX100, I was looking to spend around $1600 and I have seen them around that on ebay. I will keep looking for the best deal on them while I save the money :)
Leigh Wanstead is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:11 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network