DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/)
-   -   First panasonic dvx (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/76141-first-panasonic-dvx.html)

Chris Ruona September 24th, 2006 06:42 PM

First panasonic dvx

I am interested in buying a new DVX. I currently have a sony vx2100 and it isnt meeting my expectations. i have my hopes set on the 100b, but money is an issue, i can wait and save for it, but is buying a used pana as effecient? such as a 100. I do alot of winter filming, i live in minnesota so it does get extremely cold here. So if you guys have any tips for buying a first DVX any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
-Chris

Dino Santoro September 28th, 2006 09:09 AM

Glad to hear you're going for the DVX! If money is an issue, there are a number of used DVX100As (and much fewer DVX100Bs) going for anything from $2000-$2800 depending on condition, accessories, warranties, etc. The DVX100A has quite a number of advancements from the DVX100 (which is still a great camera). The difference between the A and B model is less drastic.

The things I would look for is the number of hours on the recording heads, warranty, whether or not the camera was used to digitize film, accessories, and location of camera (local pick up is always best).

Regarding shooting in the cold, I live in Canada and haven't had any problems. There are a couple of threads out there about shooting in cold temperatures using the DVX.

Best of luck!

Tom Hardwick September 29th, 2006 12:38 AM

You don't say what it is about the VX2100 that dissappoints you Chris. If we knew that we might be in a better position to advise you.

I agree with Dino - the DVX100A is probably the one to go for. The 100 was a rather 'rushed' job on Panasonic's part, and the facelifted A model added some very useful things such as slow shutter speeds. And of course the XLR's sure have Sony beat.

I've used both the Sony and Panasonic extensively and if it was my money I'd go for the Sony. I much prefer its focal range. It cries out for a wide-angle converter (which is why the PD170 comes with one) but the shorter zoom on the DVX really needs two aux lenses - a tele and a widie.

The Sony's white balance and gain controls are easier to understand (though less versatile) and the Info-lithiums are the industry's delight. It's feeble side-screen loses out to the Panasonic one, though both need a Hoodman in good light, unlike the FX1, say.

The Leica lens on the Panasonic is wonderful. Better than the Sony at all apertures and has less flare too. But that front element is a pig to clean and as the camera is noticeably poorer in low light, the lens's quality gain can be lost to noise grain. Winter filming suggests low light filming to me.

Before you sell the VX2100 and take the financial hit, do handle a DVX and make sure you're not simply moving sideways. The DVX days are over in that it still uses 4:3 chips and films in the SD mode only, something that Sony have clearly moved away from.

tom.

David Jimerson October 3rd, 2006 10:40 PM

I can't agree that the 100 was "rushed" -- it has 98% of what the A has. The A has great tweaks, but it was never such an upgrade that I felt the need to sell the 100s.

Still, I'd recommend the A if you have the choice, but don't shy away from a great deal on a 100 -- it's a great, great camera.

Chris Ruona October 8th, 2006 10:01 PM

with the sony, the look of the shots just look like a little better than a soccer mom with a Hi 8 camera, everything has a home movie feel to it that i dont find pleasing, for 2500 dollars im expecting more than home movies. also the lighting has to be too perfect for the vx, when ever its cloudy, quality drops durastically and footage is close to useless. it does handle low light really well but only when the sun is setting. ive heard about people having to put heat packs on batterys on the old panasonic batteries. i dont want to have to do that and risk a shot. my other choice of camera was the Sony HD, for cost reasons, but the pana HD is marked really high. thanks for the help

Tom Hardwick October 9th, 2006 01:59 AM

It sounds to me Chris that your VX2100 has a problem. You're classed as 'regular crew' here which suggests a level of filmmaking understanding that doesn't brandish about: ''when ever its cloudy, quality drops durastically and footage is close to useless.'' talk when it's not justified.

And when you say the VX is '' little better than a soccer mom with a Hi 8 camera'' then I know your VX2100 is faulty. Either that or you're ignoring the silent scream for the ND filters, or letting the shutter speeds climb too high or leaving the exposure and w/bal on auto.

I might dare to say that a lot of the potential energy of a camcorder lies locked up for ever with most videographers. I know too that my friend's DVX100A gives better pictures than my VX2000, but I sure as hell know a lot more about wringing the best from my camera than he does from his, so the Sony ends up looking a streets better on screen.

tom.

Chris Ruona October 9th, 2006 10:36 AM

i completely understand how to operate my camera, ive had it for over a year now. The camera isnt faulty either. The quality of the footage on a cloudy day which is alot in Minnesota, makes filming extremely inconsistant and the feel of the footage on a cloudy day is completely different than on a sunny day. My friends work with 100's and 100a's and the quality on cloudy days is still less than a sunny day, but still has the same feeling and look as a sunny day.

David Jimerson October 9th, 2006 10:46 AM

Chris, I think the "home movie" feel you're seeing there might be the "video" look of 60i, as opposed to the distinctly different look of progressive footage -- 30p or 24p. Am I in the ballpark?

Chris Ruona October 9th, 2006 01:01 PM

yes indeed, i just want a more versatile camera with more than one shooting mode (sony) and more like the panasonic or XL2

David Jimerson October 9th, 2006 01:33 PM

Then it sounds like a used DVX is the way to go. Like I said above - 100, 100A, 100B -- they're all fine cameras and you won't go wrong with any of them.

Dino Santoro October 31st, 2006 06:22 PM

I agree with David, it sounds like the DVX will probably give you what you are looking for. The 24 frame progressive can't be beat at that price point IMHO. If you haven't seen the movie November, watch it. It was shot with the DVX100, which backs up what David said about the DVX100 not being rushed. It looks great and won an award for the best cinematography.

I've seen the DVX100 going for $1500, which in my opinion is a steal. Still, I'd go for the 100a if it's available and in your price range. DVXUSER.COM has some good tips on getting that "film look" if you want some specific tips.