Is this an acceptable micing set up for doc at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old March 26th, 2003, 06:53 PM   #1
Major Player

Is this an acceptable micing set up for doc

Hey guys--I'm going to start shooting a doc in mid-May with the DVX100. While I hope to have a boom operator for as much of the shooting as possible, it is also possible, and probable, that I won't. I'm looking for the best possible micing solution for a one man show. My idea thus far is to buy a Sennheiser ME66 and substitute this mic for the one built in on the camera. Is this a good solution? What about the, considerable, noise this camera supposedly produces? Will this be a problem? Thanks!

Peter
Peter Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2003, 11:49 AM   #2
New Boot

Have you considered using a lavalier microphone? That would solve the issue of microphone positioning and camera noise at the same time.
John Struhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2003, 11:04 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the suggestion John. I was thinking of assigning one channel to the lav and another to a boom or shotgun mic, to pick up extraneous audio--which still leaves me with the problem of camera noise for the DVX100. Do you John or does anyone else have experience with using an ME66 type mic on the DVX100? Thanks agian for the suggestion,

Peter
Old March 31st, 2003, 01:18 PM   #4
Regular Crew

static shots or moving?

When I do documentary shots that are static, such as an interview with a seated subject, I use a shotgun mic on a boom mic stand, even if I have an assistant, no need for them to hold the boom for a static shot.

I also use a lavalier mic on the subject, going to the other channel. That way I can copy one channel to the other in post, if there's some problem with one channel or mic.
Old March 31st, 2003, 01:26 PM   #5
Major Player

Hi Jay--This would be for moving shots--on static shots I use exactly the same set up you write of. My concern is that I may not have a boom operator all the time, or want one in certain intimate situations. In these scenarios I'm looking for the best on-camera micing set up for one channel, while assigning the lav to a second. Thanks!

Peter
Old March 31st, 2003, 07:05 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I have my shockmount mounted on a mini-rover and feel like I have finally (this was an obsession for a while) found a way to completely eliminate camera noise, at least with the attenuator on. (I have an ME-66 and a GL-1 by the way.)
The mini-rover holds the mike on the left side of the camera, on the opposite side of the tape carriage, which is where I suspect most of all that noise is coming from. I don't know why manufacturers always seem to want to put the oncamera microphone on the right side. Check out this link -- http://www.videosmith.com/
The mini-rover also has an accessory that will hold your radio receiver. You definitely want a shockmount with suspension, unlike the one's pictured. I believe that's your camera on the Web site, by the way. The handle also gives you really nice leverage on handheld shots. Also, the base is wide enough that you will still be able to mount your camera on a tripod if you want -- the mini-rover has screw threads machined into the bottom of it.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant