Panasonic AG-DVX100 Opinions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old January 11th, 2007, 02:05 PM   #1
New Boot

Panasonic AG-DVX100 Opinions

At the moment i'm favouring the DVX100 compared to my GS-400. But what do you guys think of it? I'm curious to find out what you think is the better camera (I lean towards the DVX100 for the xlr input, it has a slightly bigger megapixel 4.1 compared to 4.0 and it's also progressive)

I will shortly be filming a music video and I will probably be using the DVX100 anyone experience problems with the DVX100 I should know about?
Thanks,
Eddy Strickland
Eddy Strickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2007, 10:27 AM   #2
Inner Circle

At the moment i'm favouring the DVX100 compared to my GS-400.

((Sorry to say, but these 2 are VERY different beasts and cannot be compared... ))

But what do you guys think of it? ((Ive run my business with an MX500, and 2 DVX100's now for 4 years exlusively using these cameras (even though we have other sfor other projects) and i cant fault it.. ))

I'm curious to find out what you think is the better camera (I lean towards the DVX100 for the xlr input, it has a slightly bigger megapixel 4.1 compared to 4.0 and it's also progressive)
((Megapixel? Where did u get that?? the GS400 has higher resolution, however its CCD is 1/4 compared to teh DVX1/3rd. Also the gamma configuration and true progressive scan make the two totally different. Fair enough with the copious resolution on teh GS it can achieve true 16:9 as opoed to the DVX squeeze, but this really doesnt make all that much of a difference to performance.. the DVX will always outperform a consumer camera.. ))

I will shortly be filming a music video and I will probably be using the DVX100 anyone experience problems with the DVX100 I should know about?
((have u ever used the camera? If you have, go out and practice.. theres no point in jumpin on a cam and dong a project liek this if u havent got a clue about its capabilities.. ))
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2007, 04:28 PM   #3
Major Player

Never used the gs400, but the DVX is kinda the tv 24p workhorse camera. You have to spend about $25,000 more to get any appreciable increase in quality with 24p SD material. A lot of people say that downsampling the newer HDV cams looks better, but they also have their flaws. For 24p DV, the DVX is king.

Things to look out for:

100 vs. 100a or 100b - if you're shooting 24/25p, the A or B will be a LOT better to work with than the older 100. No color bars, limited options on the original.

The scene file dial - F5 is the 24/25p file. Check it through, and set it to 24p NOT 24pA if you're going to edit for anything EXCEPT a filmout.
Also, tape over the dial once you've set it to F5. It rotates extremely easily, and you can accidentally switch to 50/60i in the middle of a shot (this can ruin your footage).

Don't use autofocus. You may be used to AF. Don't use it, especially in 24/25p mode. It's too slow and unpredictable. The DVX has about the best manual focus system of any mini DV camera.

The Iris - on occasion, the while manually adjusting the iris, it will get a mind of its own. That's just a software flaw in ALL dvx's. Turn the dial slowly and it'll work fine most of the time.

If you're getting a mattebox and filter system for it, make SURE you specify that you'll be using them on a DVX-100. The lens is way off center, and most rod systems can't adjust that far. Also, the lens is very wide angle for a 1/3" camera, and many matte box systems no specifically designed for this cam can vignette.

If you're using a shotgun mic in the built-in holder, make sure that the end of the mic isn't in your shot. This is the number 1 mistake new users make with the dvx. The lens is wide and the mic mount is far forward. Every time you can, check!

Those are the things off the top of my head. There are probably hundreds more, but I think that if you use common sense, and look out for these things you should be fine.
Jaron Berman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2007, 07:09 PM   #4
Major Player

Eddy,

I used the original DVX100 for several music videos and while it may be lacking compared to the A & B models it is still heaps better than most inexpensive cameras.

Based on my experience, I would advise you to get to know the camera and determine your "looks" before hand. DV doesn't have much information and colorspace to work with; you can get more out of it by determining your color palette in-camera, as opposed to in post.

I would also recommend at least considering shooting in 24P Advanced, if having true 24P matters to you. When you shoot in regular 24P it is embedded in 60i, so you'll be editing on a 29.97 timeline and dealing with an interlaced end product. Whereas if you shoot in 24P Advanced you can pull 24 discrete frames per second and create a 24P DVD or web video, if you want that option.

Just another opinion among many. Good luck shooting.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 02:46 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaron Berman

Don't use autofocus. You may be used to AF. Don't use it, especially in 24/25p mode. It's too slow and unpredictable. The DVX has about the best manual focus system of any mini DV camera.

Jaron,
I find the DVX a bear to focus with, even with EVF Detail on....is there something I am missing with the DVX Focusing?
Kevin James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2007, 03:35 PM   #6
Major Player

I couldn't tell ya. Short of the JVD HD-100, I find that focusing the DVX is the easiest of any of the little cams. The nice thing about the dvx is that the focus scale remains the same, regardless of zoom. If you zoom in, focus, zoom out, you can note the focus number. It's a weird scale, but it's repeatable and accurate. None of the monitors on any of these cameras is really good enough to focus to, but I think what makes the DVX easier than the others is the repeatability. If you keep your hand on the focus ring, you can make accurate pulls judging the distance by eye, without ever referring to the numbers.

And in the end, it's 1/3". Everything's in focus.
Jaron Berman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2007, 09:04 PM   #7
Major Player

It must have just been the unit I had been using.

I started using a new rental company and theirs were great to focus, even without peaking on.
Kevin James is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant