Li'l red X at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old April 16th, 2003, 06:17 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Li'l red X

I was on a shoot the other day when a little red X with a circle around it appeared intermittently in the upper left-hand corner of my finder. I looked it up in the manual but the only thing that looks even remotely similar is the squashed-red X (basically a picture of a battery with the positive sign up) of the low-battery signal. Yet I was plugged in to the wall at the time. The recording turned out fine. Does anyone know what this is? Should I be concerned?
Tao-ming Lin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2003, 07:30 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Since I've never layed hands on this camera I really do not know. But when an unfamiliar flashing icon appears in the viewfinder it often indicates that the backup battery is dead. I would imagine that the DVX100 has a watch battery buried in some crevice. Maybe it's the problem?

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2003, 11:47 AM   #3
New Boot

little red x

hey mine does that too.. mine goes on and off alot...
I've got an e mail to panasonic to find out whats goin on.

I had problems with sony tape and had lots of dropout, when I changed to fuji tape the red x doesn't come on as much,
and the video looks better and no dropout,,, but occasionally this little red x comes on.. let me know if anyone has info on this thanks
Christopher Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2003, 11:22 PM   #4
New Boot

little red x

I have found what the little red x means for anyone who needs to know.. Dirty heads and or a combination of high condensation and dirt will make the symbol flash.
once the camera dries or has had a very short cleaning with the cleaning tape.... all will be ok.

this comes from panasonic and from my very own experience with the little red x..
Christopher Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2003, 12:20 AM   #5
Regular Crew

How strange, I got it on one of the first times I used the camera! I suppose condensation could have been the culprit, this being Taiwan and such a humid climate, but that's pretty sensitive; the camera was new and couldn't have been that dirty, unless the store gave me the display model (grrrr).

Anyway, thanks for the illumination.
Tao-ming Lin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2003, 12:07 PM   #6
Inner Circle

yeah i got it too.. pretty common with pana gear i must say.. more so than sony's ive used.
is it that the Pana heads are too sensitive maybe???

i was filming v8 precision driving once and was using a Sony VX2000 and the MX500 and the sony copped most of the dirt... (theyre were doing burnouts on a dirt track) but the pana gave me the (X) and im like.. WTF??
mind you it didnt degrade the picture, but i DID panic...
the sony on the other hand still hasnt had its head cleaned since...

on a side note, i found the MX's image to be alot "cleaner" with less jitter than the sony... especialy at high shutter speeds...
but thats another topic...
cant wait to get my filthy hands on a DVX... :)
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant