Green pixel on LCD?! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old May 1st, 2003, 07:19 PM   #1
Wrangler

Green pixel on LCD?!

I was shooting with my brand-new DVX100 today and noticed a green pixel (dead pixel) on the LCD. I'm assuming like Canon, Panasonic doesn't cover LCDs. It's not that big of a deal- noticable only when shooting something bright, and one solid color. The annoying part is it's smack dab in the middle...not off to one of the corners. Ugh.

A green pixel is the same as a dead pixel right?
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2003, 07:27 PM   #2
High School Student

Yup, thats a dead pixel...

Does it show up on the video? If not, then it's not that big of a deal and I wouldn't worry about it too much...

Use a sharpie and make it black, so it's not as noticable. :D
Alex Knappenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2003, 07:34 PM   #3
Wrangler

Yeah I JUST got done reading the dozens of dead-pixel threads over on the GL-1 group. Just a bit disturbing. From what I hear manufacturers don't even consider a single dead-pixel on the lcd or evf a defect. Anyone know Panasonics particular stance on that. I think it even makes specific mention of it in the GL-1's manual to cover ther a**.
Old May 1st, 2003, 09:14 PM   #4
Warden

That's perhaps over stating the situation. I don't think there are any hard facts to backup that contention. All cameras are subject dead pixels. Welcome to the digital world.

If you have an extended warranty it might be covered. Manufactures consider a relatively small number of dead pixels on the LCD viewer (not CCD imager) within manufacturing limitations and tolerances.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2003, 09:24 PM   #5
High School Student

Jeff, even though any camera is subject to getting a dead pixel, the GL1 was especially capable of getting them...
Alex Knappenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2003, 09:41 PM   #6
Wrangler

Jeff I think he's right- granted ALL digital LCDs are suceptable to it but the GL-1 in particular seemed to have a pretty high occurence. THAT....or GL-1 owners whine outloud alot. ;)
Old May 2nd, 2003, 11:30 AM   #7
Warden

Nothing very scientific about the sampling of complaints at a website. It seems like a lot, but compared to the tens of thousand if not hundreds of thousands of cameras produced, the complaints at several of the big web sites are statically irrelevant.

It's rare that we have someone join the site and say my camera is great and has no problems. On the other hand, people join and post when they have a problem. They post, in an attempt to isolate the problem and obtain a cure. So, it's not uncommon to find a lot of complaints on web sites. This site has a lot of Canon complaints because in it's early days it had the reputation as the place to go to get answer to your Canon problems.

It would be easy to draw the conclusion that Canon makes a poor product or a camera with a pixel problem. But it just isn't true, because the sampling of complaints among all users is unknown.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2003, 05:58 PM   #8
Wrangler

Hmm, well does anyone else on here have any dead or hot pixels on their flip-out lcd?
Old May 5th, 2003, 12:01 PM   #9
Inner Circle

no but as it has been mentioned, dead pixels are common, this goes for still cams as well as LCD PC monitors.. most manufacturers will only replace or repair if there is 3 or more dead cells...

with regard to the comments about gear and complaints, being onlne for almost 7 years with various boards and groups and running afew of my own has led me to agree 100% with Jeffs comments...
as for each piece of gear.. well, its up to the individual to toss up between the good and the bad...
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant